Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
University Tuition Fees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Students have to pay for the Studies at University/College?
No, It should be Free for All
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
They should pay some of their tuition fees
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Yes, they should pay all of their tuition fees
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
The Compulsory Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: University Tuition Fees Reply with quote

Should students have to pay for the studies at university/college?

In the UK, before 1998 all university courses were free, no matter how rich or poor your parents are. After this, students with parents earning 20 thousand pounds a year had to pay £1,100 a year towards their kids education. This year, it's increased £3,000! While rich kids with generous parents are fine with going to university, many kids from low-middle earnings families are unable to afford to go.

Do you think students should have to pay for their time at university? If so, how much? Why? What is the situation in your country?

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "some of the fees" simply because nothing is really free. ALL the costs before 1998 were being paid by tax payers. That is fine as long as the majority is OK with it. There are many other ways to defray costs. Scholarships pay people who show talent or promise is a given area. In the US there are Grants and Loans. Grants don't have to be paid back as a rule unless you don't graduate and/or don't pursue the field the Grant was intended to help pay for.

I think students should be free to study while in college and not have to work part or full time. I'm speaking in idealistic terms here. Most students drink, smoke, snort, or rub on their belly anything and everything but knowledge from books. So strict standards should apply no matter who pays - just to keep from filling the class with "no loads." A no load is when they test fire the catapult on an air craft carrier with no plane attached to it which equals a lot of noise for nothing.

AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: University Tuition Fees Reply with quote

Yup. They can take out a loan and work to pay it off. Welcome to life, don't let it near your balls.

I'd be happier knowing that I'd paid for my education, rather some really poor family paying for me via their tax.

As far as I'm concerned, if everyone paid for things that were of their responsibility, taxes would be much lower.

~ Avarice
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all the hag iv had tryin to get into uni im not bothered if i have to pay for 10 ppl to go.
IceMan
More favourite than Avarice also
More favourite than Avarice also

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should go back to us paying some of the tuition fees, theyve only put them up so the government doesnt have to pay for each person to go and they can have a higher pay cheque for them

Ashrak
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people should have to pay some for college/university... but it shouln't be nearly as expensive as it is now.... every one regardless of their income should have the oppertunity to become better educated.... i'm going throught the process of finding a college/university and most of the ones i'm looking at are around $30,000 a year... so its gonna cost a pretty penny for me to go...

Jarmen
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that people that have true potential should have to pay, if 1,000 kids can't afford the fees to do medical study thats 1,000 less doctors we will have in the country, where's the sense in that?
whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarmen wrote:
I dont think that people that have true potential should have to pay, if 1,000 kids can't afford the fees to do medical study thats 1,000 less doctors we will have in the country, where's the sense in that?

what is being forgotten here is that we can take out a student loan that covers the 9,000 we have to pay and is non-repayable until we get a job of 15,000 a year or more
tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Aus, a medical degree costs Aus $100,000 (40,000 pounds, US$75,000).

Scolarships/grants can't hope to cover all the talent and good prospects don't even apply to get in, while wealty students get greater access.

I think tuition should be free provided you pass the course and take up related employment for long enough to justify the expense. If you don't graduate or move into unrelated employment you pay some or all of the costs.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that University education should be limited to only middle class kids- that's a step back into the past! Come on, according to Tony Blair "the class war is over" is it bollocks- he has reinforced the class system!

AVARiCE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafkao wrote:
Scolarships/grants can't hope to cover all the talent and good prospects don't even apply to get in, while wealty students get greater access.

Right then Ladies and Gents, you are about to read another installment of Avarice opinion. Please keep children at arms length.

You've got to understand what I'm trying to say here and I@m not ruling anything impossible.

In my experience, wealthy kids are generally smarter. I go to a preppy school where most parents are on benefits etc and of my fellow pupils I can only think of about 15 or so I'd like to be doctors, with such high responsibility. Those 15 kids have the financial backing to go to uni. Then we look at private schools. How many of those kids would you trust to perform open heart surgery on your child? I for one would prefer my chances. Not saying that this is the strict rule, as there is always the exception that proves the rule. But as a rule of thumb, wealthier kids are smarter than kids with poor backgrounds.

For clarity, I'm not rich and I don't get everything I want.

So if you guys can see what I mean, everyone tends to be smart in some way. I, personally, would prefer a booksmart doctor to a streetwise one.

Let the flaming commence.

~ Avarice
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avarice wrote:
tafkao wrote:

Right then Ladies and Gents, you are about to read another installment of Avarice opinion. Please keep children at arms length.

You've got to understand what I'm trying to say here and I@m not ruling anything impossible.

In my experience, wealthy kids are generally smarter. I go to a preppy school where most parents are on benefits etc and of my fellow pupils I can only think of about 15 or so I'd like to be doctors, with such high responsibility. Those 15 kids have the financial backing to go to uni. Then we look at private schools. How many of those kids would you trust to perform open heart surgery on your child? I for one would prefer my chances. Not saying that this is the strict rule, as there is always the exception that proves the rule. But as a rule of thumb, wealthier kids are smarter than kids with poor backgrounds.

For clarity, I'm not rich and I don't get everything I want.

So if you guys can see what I mean, everyone tends to be smart in some way. I, personally, would prefer a booksmart doctor to a streetwise one.

Let the flaming commence.

~ Avarice

iv been to a private school and iv found that, though some are generally smarter academically, they are thick as shit when it comes to life
AVARiCE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some is not adequate Hammie and you know it. 90% of those kids are geniuii (plural? Razz) and as to them being preppy at real life, I don't care, they save other's lives.

~ Avarice
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, more affluent areas tend to get better teachers and resources, even in public schooling. Something about putting the resources where the retention rate and academic aspirations are higher, so the wealthy students perform better academically. But better educated does not mean intellectually superior.

I think all med students should have to work in a car factory for a year before studying so they could lose their arrogance and have more understanding and sympathy for their patients later in life. My older sister did medicine and all her friends at Uni were arrogant med students too far up themselves to mix with mainstream society even then.
whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avarice wrote:
Some is not adequate Hammie and you know it. 90% of those kids are geniuii (plural? Razz) and as to them being preppy at real life, I don't care, they save other's lives.

~ Avarice

ok let me put it this way

one girl i know from my school got all A*'s in her gcse's and 5 A's at A-level, yet she and 2 other equally intelligent girls managed to get the wrong train to our house despite having written instructions saying get "x" train from "y" platform at "z"o'clock. now would u want someone like that performing heart surgery on you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: