Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
University Tuition Fees
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Students have to pay for the Studies at University/College?
No, It should be Free for All
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
They should pay some of their tuition fees
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Yes, they should pay all of their tuition fees
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
The Compulsory Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grades DOES NOT equal intelligence/common sense. I got fairly good grades at school & university but I'm really struggling to cope in the real world!

For getting good grades at school, I think it depends on how supportive the parents are. My dad used to help me with Maths & Science, I got a private tutor for English, so no shit I passed! Without this extra help, I would have never have gotten where I am today. A student from a poorer family would have never been able to afford the £11 an hour for a private tutor! There was never really a question about going to university or not, it was just expected that I'd go! So I guess that encouraged me to work harder because I had something to aim for.

My friend, who's from a "working class" background, when she left school was just expected to get a job in a factory. Luckily for her, she's a strong individual and worked herself through university and now has a great job.

tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex sister in law was a working class girl who worked her way through law school (cliche - waiting table for her preppie classmates) worked in private practice, the as a senior military lawyer, deputy coronor, CEO of the Northern Territory courts dept, and just scored a job as a brigadier general to revamp Australia's military legal system. A very intelligent poor kid, but I can beat her at trivial pursuit haha.
Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I'm happy to pay all the taxes in the world if the money is used correctly.

Secondly ALL education should be free! The reason I've heard for tuition fees is that it'll make the student knuckle down and work harder knowing "they're" having to pay for it. WRONG!!!!!!!

All it really does is disadvantage poor kids. Not the dole dossing retards that Avarice imagines, because their lazy-arsed-good-for-nothing parents can't get a job and have to live off of my taxes, they get it paid for them, out of my taxes! No, the poor kids who are disadvantaged are the ones from houses where people actually go out and work. The parents go out and scrape by on minimum wage, then get stuck with a bill for tuition fees!

And what of the rich kids who not only get the tuition fees paid for them, but get a regular pocket money income too? Do they knuckle down and work harder knowing "they've" had to pay for it? DO THEY BOLLOCKS! It's not their money, why should they give a shit? If they can't appreciate the fact that the government is paying out tax money for them to be educated, when it could go to save Mr Jones' liver instead, they're not going to care if Daddy has to do a couple of hours overtime to put his little precious through University!

Yes, rich kids tend to be smarter - rich people nowadays tend to have "intelligent" jobs (ie doctor, scientist, computer tech, etc...) so they can pass on their good genes and knowledge to their offspring. Yes there are exceptions, smart poor kids, think kids from inbred "old money" families, rich kids left to bring themselves up, etc... The thing to remember though is that everyone deserves the same chances!

Yes, intelligence doesn't equal smarts! Just because someone can figure out the square root of 273684998762 in his head doesn't mean they can figure out how to open a tin of meat, with one of those funny key things! More often than not intelligence comes at a cost of common sense and vice versa.

"An unjust peace is better than a just war."
"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must."
"I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more wars."
tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inteligent people tend to get better-paying jobs and can pay for better education for their kids, so free education is a way to give poor kids a fair education. Pity it's not possible to subsidise primary and secondary ed at good schools as well.

Poorly educated intelligent people can be uneducated and ignorant, but unintelligent people can't succeed academically. Why should they have access to the best teachers, when they won't be able to benefit from it?
Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I'd settle for access to the same learning!

One step at a time! Smile

"An unjust peace is better than a just war."
"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must."
"I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more wars."
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafkao wrote:
Inteligent people tend to get better-paying jobs and can pay for better education for their kids, so free education is a way to give poor kids a fair education. Pity it's not possible to subsidise primary and secondary ed at good schools as well.

Poorly educated intelligent people can be uneducated and ignorant, but unintelligent people can't succeed academically. Why should they have access to the best teachers, when they won't be able to benefit from it?

How do you define a "bad school"? Shouldn't all schools be ideally of a similar standard?

Anyway, just because a person is not very academic, it doesn't mean that they can't get a good job! Many people who don't do well in school are usually more suited to practical "hands-on" jobs and should go into the appropriate training.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: