Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Christmas

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Read My Post First, then Vote
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Christmas Reply with quote

Should I celebrate Christmas? Bear in mind I'm not a Christian, I don't believe in any of their views and can't afford it this year! True, I have celebrated it for the last 20 years but that was only due to social pressures.

After all, I don't celebrate Hanukkah, Yom Kippur (Both Jewish festivals), Ramadan (Islamic) and Kumbh Mela (Hindu)!!!!

tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't celebrate xmas. If my kids were here I'd have a barbecue with them, but never mind.
Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you still have them self same social pressures.

People will buy you presents and expect them in return.

People will then make negative assumptions about you if you don't.

True this isn't a reason to celebrate any religious festival, but I'd just point out, nothing has really changed.

I believe you don't necessarily have to celebrate it, but there's no reason to not partake of some of the traditions. It's not like it's against your religion! Besides there are 2 celebrations at christmas. There's the christian one and the capitalist one, and I know you're a capitalist!

I'll be giving presents (and expecting them Wink ) this year.

As for other festivals Hanukkah has no meaning for me, so won't be practiced. Yom Kippur and Ramadan are both fasts, which are against my religion! The Kumbh Mela however is really cool and I would love to partake, especially the Meha Kumbh Mela!

"An unjust peace is better than a just war."
"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must."
"I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more wars."
*brunettie spenc*
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
Should I celebrate Christmas? Bear in mind I'm not a Christian, I don't believe in any of their views and can't afford it this year! True, I have celebrated it for the last 20 years but that was only due to social pressures.

After all, I don't celebrate Hanukkah, Yom Kippur (Both Jewish festivals), Ramadan (Islamic) and Kumbh Mela (Hindu)!!!!

i dont celebrate christmas... tho if you choose not to it shouldnt have anything to do with the fact it is a christian belief/holiday/celebration... it is not christs birthday for one, facts pfove that if jesus was indeed born dec 25th there would have been no three wise men/shepards as it is winter there... 2nd, they pulled dec 25th from some sun god holiday/celebration... 3rd, what the HELL does santa clause have to do with christmas ???... 4th, should the christian belief really encourage LYING and as you will agree this is a NO why are they doing so themselves HYPOCRITES.... 5th, there is no mention of BIRTHDAY celebration mentioned in the bible, the only one that IS mentioned is pagan and ends up with st. johns head on a plate as a gift...
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what my problem is with Christmas- it has nothing to do with the religious meaning of it - it has gotten lost with the commercial aspect of it all! I have a great deal of respect for religious celebrations but I shouldn't be forced to celebrate it if I don't believe in either the traditional meaning or "modern" commercial parts of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Religion & Philosophy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: