Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Do you go to Church/religous worship?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you go to Church or place of religous worship?
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 21

Jarmen
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry bout that greg bad choice of words, well it is choice i mean i wasnt trying to say that gays jus choose to be gay coz they wanna i mean that they jus choose to be that way and jus agree with who they are..

bad choice of words sorry mate
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that people *chose* their sexuality, they just *are*, just a feeling you get. Jarmen, did you chose to be straight?

So is Eves and Adam's son went off to a other laqnd to get a wife, does that mean that they were not the first real people to be created? Or does God only create sons and not daughters?

aalpha- does your friend provide any prove that she is a vampire? Or is she just one of those internet crazies?

Jarmen
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i didnt choose to be straight i just am yeah i know where your cominmg from what i was trying to get across was that with religion, those who are gay and are religious they dont try and refuse who they are.. hmmm.. i guess i cant really put it in words .. people dont jus go against there sexuality because of what some relgion is its jus who they are..
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
I don't believe that people *chose* their sexuality, they just *are*, just a feeling you get. Jarmen, did you chose to be straight?

So is Eves and Adam's son went off to a other laqnd to get a wife, does that mean that they were not the first real people to be created? Or does God only create sons and not daughters?

aalpha- does your friend provide any prove that she is a vampire? Or is she just one of those internet crazies?

Hi Helen,
I agree - men who are born with the ability to be attracted to women don't sit down at puberty and say "You know, I think I'll go with other guys instead." No one would chose the risks of brutal beatings, possible death, rejection by their families and all non gay people over "taste" or "style."

I think God created more than two people. Those who hold the bible dear to their heart make up two main groups; those who believe every word is literally true thus the universe was created in 6 twenty-four hour days and those who believe the Genesis account is more symbolic than literal. Does the God of the bible have the ability to speak the Grand Canyon into existence? Of course he does. Did he? Not according to the geologic record laced all through the layers of rock he didn't. I believe the bible does not attempt to tell every little thing and there were other people around to populate the earth. I like this little but powerful observation: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Neither Cain nor Abel, nor Seth were motherfuckers, literally nor metaphorically.

As for my friend I don't want much proof. I have been in her presence and it is not fun. You have heard about how Vampires can drain (some say suck) the energy out of you and thus have their way with you? I have gone from wide awake and ready to go full steam ahead to feeling like I am coming out from under or about to succumb to powerful anesthesia. I've never been a fainter but she has demonstrated to me it is not good to make fun of or treat lightly Vampires. Don't ask me how she does it or where it comes from because *I* don't even want to know. And no - I ain't gonna ask her.

Love
Gordon

ps
if you compare the Genesis account of creation and an evolutionary chart showing the development of life forms, you know - first came this, then that, then something else - guess what? They are more parallel than skewed. Amazing!! Wink Yes the chart has far more detail but you would expect it to.

Ratty4eva
Princess Perfect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although most of my family are religious, My family ( My mum and dad) don't go to church.
Strange.......
Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to check back here more often.....

Aalpha, wow, I'm impressed that any one has this much knowledge of the bible, most condemn or santify the bible with very little knowledge of it's actual contents.
Cain visits the land of Nod, in some versions of the bible. The land of Nod? What like the land of sleep? And where does this land reside? "...around the corner..."!
In other versions of the bible Adam had a second wife!

"Drink of my blood and live forever"!!!!!!! Just read any version of the new testament, there are hundreds of comments that point to Jesus being a vampire, true there are no "...and Jesus was bitten by a blood-drinker, and he did shrink from the light and drink of his kin...." type passages, but read between the lines!

As for your friend - firstly vampires cannot suck energy from people, only blood, energy is the realm of succubi, incubbi and the like. If you felt sleepy around one, this was perhaps hypnosis. Very powerful vampires may walk in the light, though they do not possess the power they do in the dark. As for your warning, I am a god, I think I can resist a human infested with a lesser demon. And creating the world in six 24 hour days, where does it say the days lasted 24 hours? According to the christian belief, "God" did not truely create the grand canyon - he did however place the rock there, and the river there, that then over millions of years carved out the canyon, under "God"'s influence. I like this quote I got from a vicar a while back "God created the world in 6 days and he rested on the seventh, but that doesn't mean he had finished with the world. He's a perfectionist and he's been tinkering ever since!"

Yes I'm inlcined to disbelieve the bible, all sources of historical information must be taken with a pinch of salt, I mean, "one true god"? However, the true bible does not speak against homosexuallity. Only religions speak against it, and they distort their bibles to show this. I have an old bible, from before homosexuallity was an "issue" and its does not even get a mention!

"So if Eves and Adam's son went off to a other laqnd to get a wife, does that mean that they were not the first real people to be created?" well now that is a question isn't it? And if they weren't the only ones to be created, then why does the bible not tell us, after all the other detail, it misses out a pretty important fact: "And then Happy with Adam and Eve, God popped round the corner to the land of Nod and created a whole group of other humans, he didn't like these so much and left them out of eden, but this was handy when Adam and Eve had children and they wanted to breed themselves..." Or infact did "God" not create these other humans, so where did they come from? Evolution? Another "One True God"?
whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its just means that their on couldnt get on wit the girls of his own country...and didnt u watch dogma...jesus is black
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that. Truth can't be confined or shaped around our expectations of it. I like a quote I read once regarding truth and the perception of it. "If you find it useful use it, if you don't, don't." Nod is said to be a Hebrew word for "wander(er)" the idea being that Cain wandered when he left Adam and Eve. See?? Perhaps more symbolic than literal truth here. Probably not another land around the corner. The point may not be he went to another country per se. Whatever it means if you're not open to learning it forget about it. Why burden yourself with issues or concepts you can't accept? Did you know the Land of Nod is also the name of a small hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England? It is located at the far end of a two mile long road which joins the A614 road at Holme-on-Spalding-Moor. If some archeologist goes there and digs up a set of bones with a peculiar mark on the forehead we might know where Cain went!! Laughing

As for Vampires there are vampire legends for almost every geographic region AND historic period you can think of. To say Vampires can't do one thing or another is like saying a biblical passage means "this" and can't mean anything else anywhere else. In other words the only thing with more versions of interpretations than Vampires is probably the bible - and they probably take turns beating each other from one year to the next.

Oh, oh, oh. I forgot. Again this is where truth and perceptions collide. Jesus didn't tell any one to drink his blood. Not according to the best Greek texts that the NT are based upon. John did write "Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you" but if the ceremony of holy communion is to go beyond the year Jesus said that it has to be understood symbolically not literally. Now, if you want to believe he did mean it literally, then he did and we need not argue. But he didn't. He pointed to the bread and wine as - here's that word again - symbols of his sacrifice. John wrote decades after the crucifixion so it can hardly be said he expected people to assign literal meaning to the words that instituted the holy communion. Jesus and his flesh and blood were long gone. You want to hear something sick? The Roman Catholic Church has a doctrine called transubstantiation - almost as easy to deal with as supercalifragilisticexpialidotious (sp). Anyway, according to that doctrine,the substance - the stuff the bread and wine is made of, when consumed in the ceremony of communion, actually transforms into the literal flesh and blood of Jesus. Now you and I both know that cannot happen. I love their "out" that is suppose to gloss over the grossness of it all. "Oh but the elements of the sacrament maintain the appearance of bread and wine but they really really actually are human flesh and blood once you begin to chew and drink don't you see?" Give me a fucking break.
I'm sleepy - my Vampire friend must be nearby. Or maybe all this is more boring than a Vampire is powerful.

G-man

aalpha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whufc88 wrote:
no its just means that their on couldnt get on wit the girls of his own country...and didnt u watch dogma...jesus is black

Hey West Ham, I don't mean no harm but could you please proof read your stuff before you post it? Pleeeease? I can translate Greek to English faster than I can read and understand your English.

G-man

whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol aalpha m8 i write how i speak cept i actually include some h's...go to dagenham and c if u can last 5 secs wit how we speak...its quite funny actually to c foreigners walkin around in london and struggling to b able to understand us
aalpha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said I don't mean no harm but English speaking people ought not to have to learn a slang language to communicate with other English speaking ppl. Some short cuts are good. I like ne1, ppl, cos, cuz, m8, but hells bells. Somebody from the forum pm'd me the other day and mistyped get so it looked like egt. I do shit like that all teh time but I try to fix it. I thought she was trying to convey some mystery code or something Laughing
No hard feelings OK?

whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none taken
Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
Whatever it means if you're not open to learning it forget about it. Why burden yourself with issues or concepts you can't accept?

Who's not open to learning? Who can't accept which concepts? And isn't understanding concepts foriegn to us the basis for understanding each other, even if you don't agree?

Nod = wanderer? I wasn't aware, but then I have limited access to hebrew sources. but still, even in a less literal sense, there are still questions - cain goes off for a wander around the corner. Around the corner suggest fairly close - generally just out of sight. So no one had bothered to wander over there before, and no one from over there had bothered to wander around the corner? At any rate there's some pretty bad story telling going on! "...Cain goes for a wander, and he bumps into a group of other Humans "God" created earlier, that I forgot to tell you about..."

Yes I am aware of the village in Yorkshire, but no matter how literally you take the text I find it very hard to believe that this is where Cain went since it was established in the AD! (Can't remember the actual year off-hand)

True there are lots of different vampire legends, though they all generally stem from the 1600s+. It is also true to say that they all differ in the powers of which the vampires posess. However it is true that none of them claim that vampires can shoot fire balls from their eyes or fire lightning from their arse! Similarly it is true to say that vampiric powers do not include the ability to drain energy. It is possible of course that they use another skill to mimic this ability say to make some one drowsy, use hypnosis. It is also possible that a vampire is more than just a vampire, that they have learnt this skill another way, from some sort of magic say. However you suggested that it was common place for a vampire to have this skill:

aalpha wrote:
You have heard about how Vampires can drain (some say suck) the energy out of you

aalpha wrote:
...the best Greek texts that the NT are based upon.

You mean the Gospels? That's what the NT is based upon, hence the titles of the chapters being "The Gospel according to..."
Have you got a chapter number for me to have a look at for your quote, I do not find it?
I'll start and compile a list of quotes from the bible that could be interpretted as, Jesus was a vampire. True the bible does not say "Jesus was a vampire", but then it wouldn't would it! Look out for it coming in the next week or so!
Transubstatiation, is in fact an idea taken from many Pagan beliefs and something that I do actually believe in! Jesus turning water into wine was transubstantiation. This phenomenon has been recorded many times over the years.

Finally, if all this is so boring then why keep replying? Also why do your arguments shift wildly? One minute you're adament that there are vampires out there and not only do they google, but you have one as a friend. The next you are they are open to interpretation!
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a show off but I've been to the village of "Land of Nod" In East Yorkshire! Very peaceful out there, pretty scenery too. How did you find out about it gordon?

aalpha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote about it being John who quoted Jesus as saying "eat my flesh and drink my blood. . ." etc. was a pretty bad source after all. See John 6:55-56 for what John did say. The point I was trying to make is that such talk was metaphorical or symbolic and not literal. Somewhere else Jesus is said to have said "if your eye offends you pluck it out, it your hand offends you cut it off." I don't know any one-eyed, one-handed bible-toters do you? Again my point is there is much more symbolism in the bible than a lot of people want to admit. As for reading between the lines that's not an approach to a subject I favor. You said you were inclined to not believe the bible so that's where I got the notion you were not open to it. Sorry if I misunderstood. I didn't get Nod = wander from a Hebrew source. It came from Wikipedia.
If vampire legends only go back to the 1600s where does anyone get the idea Jesus was a vampire 1600 years before the legends?

Helen, I found the Land of Nod village in Wikipedia. If you nor Erebus has ever "played" i.e., explored, chased topics etc. in Wikipedia find some time to go from one thing to another. It's like a mini version of the Internet itself. Some good examples of what Wikipedia puts together for the inquiring mind are: iPod, tsunami, volcano, Yellowstone, communion. Now that you are done with exams I know research probably isn't your cup of tea right now. But check it out the very next time you want to "look something up" and start in Wikipedia. I bet you'll be surprised what you find. Smile

G-man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Religion & Philosophy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: