Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Which Religion are you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Religion are you?
Jewish
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Catholic
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Islamic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hindu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Buddhist
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Protestant
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Other Christian Church
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
Non Religious / Atheist
36%
 36%  [ 23 ]
Other (please state)
28%
 28%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 63

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*brunettie spenc* wrote:

all i ask is that next time you get a jehovahs witness calling at your door, give them a chance, listen to what they have to say, ask questions... just maybe you might learn something...

Is it true that if your child (who you love very much) needed a blood transfusion to save their life, you would prevent it? - therefore signing the death warrant of your own child?

Teach me how I too can be so cold, unloving and emotionless

http://www.watchtower.org/e/hb/article_02.htm
*brunettie spenc*
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintymetal wrote:
*brunettie spenc* wrote:

all i ask is that next time you get a jehovahs witness calling at your door, give them a chance, listen to what they have to say, ask questions... just maybe you might learn something...

Is it true that if your child (who you love very much) needed a blood transfusion to save their life, you would prevent it? - therefore signing the death warrant of your own child?

Teach me how I too can be so cold, unloving and emotionless

http://www.watchtower.org/e/hb/article_02.htm

yes it is true.. as their are different types of medical treatments they can recieve and that are actually more effective and safer.. most doctors are just to lazy to try them.. get in touch with your local jehovah's witness kingdom hall as there are videos and stuff they would be happy to show you that can explain it better then i ever could.. and honestly you have to be very careful with the internet and researching jehovah's witnesses you'd be better off just asking your local witnesses and asking them the questions, they will do the research for you and you know you are getting it straight from the horses mouth Very Happy
tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, your child has fallen into a window and severed an artery. By the time he or she gets to the ER they have lost half their blood, blood pressure dangerously low and heart racing to try to get oxygen to their brain. The doctor calls for an immediate blood transfusion.

Please present this scenario to the wise people at the kingdom hall and ask them exactly what different types of medical treatments they can receive that are actually more effective and safer than a blood transfusion?
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get into JW? Are you parents/family Jehovah's witnesses?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*brunettie spenc* wrote:
and honestly you have to be very careful with the internet and researching jehovah's witnesses

Oh I'm fully aware of validating your sources when on the net, that's why I went to WatchTower (that's also the name of the magazine that you hand out) given that website seems to be very 'Witness' based and claims it is the official Witness site, if it was fake, wouldn't it of been pulled down by now?

I didn't mean to sound as hostile as what I probably did in my opening question so i'd like to apologise if that was how you read my post.

3 years ago though I was very ill and was in hospital, my HB count was 6 (people have died with a HB of 6 before) I had no strength, all I wanted to do was lie there in my bed... 15 minutes later after my blood transfusion - I felt like I could run up walls ala Matrix style. If I hadn't of had that, it would of taken a long time to have built it up through food (I had no appetite so would of refused to of eaten) and like I have said, people have died with a HB of 6 before, don't think they liked me sitting at such a low HB.
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the official Witness rule about transfusions but I do know the passages from the Bible they interpret as including transfusions are interpreted by other faiths as referring only to dietary laws. The language as I remember it seemed clear to me to be talking about what not to consume by mouth; eat or drink that is. When these scriptures were written there was no such concept as a blood transfusion and to say that it was written to address the future begs the question. Every word of the Bible was written for a reason contemporary with it's time. Every thought contained in the Bible was intended to answer a question the writer believed was relevant to his time. It's a bit like the TV game show Jeopardy, we have the answers; the work is to discover the question it goes with. One of my favorite teachers never tired of making the point "in order to know what it meeaaans, you've got to learn what it meant." No one living before the time of Jesus was asking "What about putting someone else's blood in my body?" They couldn't do it, didn't know how to type blood indeed didn't even know blood had a type.

Oh, another Witness idea about blood has to do with destroying blood that is (?) shed or drawn (?) They can't store blood for their own use during surgery. Sorta slaps the blood sacrifice of Jesus a bit since there's no record of his blood being mopped up and destroyed.

I wish I could unlock the mystery of why one group interprets this, another that. I'd write my book and retire. Laughing

tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight aalpha. Very good point that it was written in the context of the time, and a relief to see someone else in the world knows what 'begging the question' means.
*brunettie spenc*
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i my nan is a jehovahs witness and i learnt about the religon thru her however i was baptized when i was 13 and old enough to make that decision on my own (we dont baptise babies)

with the blood thing, once again it would be easier if you asked your local jeahovahs witnesses as they could show you litreature that you could then read for yourself and even show you scriptures out of your own bible as to why we believe what we believe..the scripture that we mainly use to do with blood transfusions says to abstain from blood, therefore we abstain from it in ever shape and form.. Jehovah God sees blood as sacred and as the living things life source, that is why when the isralites made sacrifices they were not to sacrifice the blood but to pour it back to the ground out of respect to the sanctity of life..

hope that clears things up a little lol... tho asking your local witnesses would definatly be a good idea !!!
silverlady
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I haven't been on this conversation in a long time. The biggest memory I have of JWs is that my two best friends in third grade were raised JW and always told me (this is when I was good and Christian Rolling Eyes ) that I would burn in hell if I didn't become JW. My grandpa loves it when they come to the door because he says he likes their interpretation of the bible.
Personally, when I confront them, I also explain that I am happy with my spiritual beliefs, same as when I confront other biblical teachers on the street or elsewhere, and find that they aren't at all like my old friends.
I will respect you and not push my religion onto you if you give me the same respect.
and are people picking on ilovearea51 again?
Jarmen
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverlady! I havent seen you on here in a while! Yeah I hate it when people try shove beliefs on you, yeah Im christian but probly leaning over in the agnostic direction, mainly because I just never really think about it enough to have a solid opinion on the whole thing.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Silverlady! Lovely to see you again!

silverlady wrote:
and are people picking on ilovearea51 again?

No she is a sweetie pie and she now have her own board! See I can be nice when I want to be Very Happy

You've given me an idea for a thread!

Specter
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*brunettie spenc* wrote:

xox

When I have a JW knocking at my door, I ask them only one question, please leave me alone.

I have a religeon, I'm a catholic, I'm not interested in converting. I dont walk around knocking on doors ranting about catholisism, because it is rude. Most people are not interested, and you would be taking away time that they may be using to better themselves and their own religeous beliefs.

If they dont like thier beliefs, if they want a new perspective or opinion, they will go out and find it if it is important to them. Dorr knocking JW's are simply wasting one of our most valuable resources, time.

Silverlady wrote:
I will respect you and not push my religion onto you if you give me the same respect.

Absolutly right Silverlady, I think this is the first post I've ever seen of yours, but already I like you. My philosophy in life, "I'll give you the same respect as you give to me" In fact it's somthing the christians amoung us might recognise "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I dont bother you at home with religeous babble, I expect you to do the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a name for my religion. And there's only one member - me. So far I've determined the creation of the universe what happens when you die. And I know it sounds a little eccentric, but I'm not taking the piss.

Creation of the Universe.
Basically, there was a crab. Well, it might not be a crab but I like to think it is. And this crab made a sandwich and on this sandwich was put all the ingredients of the universe, just waiting to be set off, like the Big Bang. Now this crab, for whatever reason, put way too much pepper on this sandwich so while he was eating it, he sneezed and ta-da! The ignition for the Big Bang. This is the reason for everything heading away from each other - the force of the sneeze.

Note, however, that this crab is not a God not has any kind of control or power over this universe. In fact, out universe works much the same way as the universe he/she/it lives in. Same laws of physics, gravity etc.

Now, as to where the crab's universe came from that I don't know.

When You Die
Depending on how you die, there are two things that can happen. The first way of dying is that it's a complete shock to you. This being the case, you stay in the universe and can 'pair' yourself to any being (preferably sentient). This being is the only thing that can see you or note your presence in any way. This being must somehow help you come to terms with the fact that you aren't, by which ever method. This will always happen by the time the being dies, and it could even be the being's death which is the trigger.

After the 'realisation' you move onto stage two. This is also what happens when you're not shocked by your death (I should note, that seeing no reason why you died is what is counted as being 'shocked'). Basically your 'soul' or whatever you want to call the bit of you that isn't your body goes to a big soul hole. It's where all the 'souls' end up eventually. It's inside a big, red cloud and all the souls join together into one big shape. When someone is born, a bit of this 'soul soup' is taken and given to whatever has just come into being.
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds just as good as a story as the bible and god, so why not.

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satan is the god of evil, so Satanism is the worship of evil. Why would anyone want to worship evil, unless they were evil people?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Religion & Philosophy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: