Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Lazy or Stupid?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which negative trait would you rather be accused of?
Being Lazy
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Being Stupid
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Lazy or Stupid? Reply with quote

For example, you are struggling with "X" task, be it a maths class, driving, a sport etc. Assuming that you knew in your heart that you were neither of the two, what would you rather be accused of?

I just really hate it when others assume that they know what you're thinking - particularly when they're wrong! It does offend me.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy or Stupid? Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

I just really hate it when others assume that they know what you're thinking - particularly when they're wrong! It does offend me.

Depends why they said it.

Josh : Oh dear Bob you don't look too well
Bob : Saw the doctor yesterday, i'm dying
Josh : I know how you feel

People are perhaps programmed to say that, or they say it because they feel that's how they empathise with people. It's perhaps not meant to offend. As we can see however, that sometimes, this form of empathy doesn't really help and in some cases does more harm than good.

Depends *why* i'm struggling. Chances are I just don't understand and need whatever it is explaining in a better way.

I had a maths teacher like that, he would explain something to the class and i'd not get it (neither did my friend Richard) so i'd ask him to explain again when he was doing his rounds, and he then explained it in a different way so clearly and so well I felt stupid that I hadn't seen it like that before.

If *not understanding something first time around* is seen as being stupid then i'd be that. Lazy suggests to me that you're not even trying which I think would upset me more. Just plain not understanding is not down to a lack of effort it's down to something just not 'clicking'.
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy. At least if you're lazy you know you can do something but you're just not bothered whereas if you're stupid.. well you're just plain dumb Surprised

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skorpz wrote:

Lazy. At least if you're lazy you know you can do something but you're just not bothered whereas if you're stupid.. well you're just plain dumb Surprised

Not necessarily.

Let me put it a different way. A car mechanic would probably tell you that bleeding a cars brakes was one of the easiest things to do in the world, however they wouldn't have a clue how to set a telescope in polar alignment for example.

Neither would a astronomer call a car mechanic stupid, nor would a mechanic call an astronomer stupid either. With effort and hard work chances are the other would 'get' what they needed to do.

Maybe it's not a case of 'stupid' and intelligence. It's more a case of different learning styles.

Are you trying to tell me that you would like people to think that you don't even try?

I'd much prefer people to think I'd given it a try rather than just didn't bother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: