Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
People who study the weather

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are weathermen interesting or not?
Sadly lacking
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Lacking something else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I have a warm front (Other)
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: People who study the weather Reply with quote

Due to Av's faggotry, this quote

Quote:

You shall be treated to a four-part special on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Failed...

Therefore, I have come up with a poll instead.

We all know that there is one great failsafe topic of conversation, for when you can't think of anything else to talk about, and feel awkward in silence with someone.

The weather.

So, is someone who studies 'the weather' one of the most interesting people known to man, or one of the most boring because they study something that is the last ditch effort to try to talk to someone?

Pickle, not seen you about for a bit so your opinion will overrule all others Smile
IceMan
More favourite than Avarice also
More favourite than Avarice also

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if its the man or just the topic on its own but I find it really really interesting and have done several modues about it for my degree and have picked to carry on studying about the weather next year too.

So really I cant answer this poll as I would be one of the men that people would be talking to that finds it very interesting

Oh I also know why pickly hasn't been around well I know 2 reasons now but the 2nd was only quite recent Razz

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:

Oh I also know why pickly hasnt been around well I know 2 reasons now but the 2nd was only quite resent Razz

Oh, well so long as she's ok that's alright then Smile
spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fascinated by the weather. I did weather observations whilst working in the control towers during my career and had a course or two in it. If I were not convinced those folks were half mad/suicidal, I could be one of those "storm chasers " that go after tornadoes. Weather man would be a good job. After all, you have a 50 percent chance of being right ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Spart
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I talk about it quite a lot, but then I am British, its what we do!

When we lived in Michigan and my gran came to visit she was fascinated by the weather channel, it was right much more often than British weather forecasts, and you pretty much knew exactly when it was going to rain. I don't really watch the weather that often, but I think it can be interesting. I don't mean the British weather, its so tame and repetitive (rain, partially cloudy, the occasionally sunny day), don't get me wrong its more pleasant to live with than the more 'interesting' weather, but it doesn't make it good to read about!

When I was younger I wanted to be a volcanologist (so, volcanoes aren't really weather, but it links in somehow), and I find catastrophies interesting. I would like to go and see some active volcanoes, and perhaps maybe live through a tornado, but I wouldn't want to have those events become part of my everyday life. Having said that in Michigan I lived through several near misses, and my school had 'tornado drills' as often as we did fire drills

Specter
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of my meteorology course (compulsory part of my Physics major) We visited the local met station. I can assure you that weather forecasters are passionate about what they do and truely believe it is fascinating, but its still boring as hell.
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a weatherMAN here who is quite entertaining. And of course the weatherBABES only have to show up. *sigh*

As for the subject I find it interesting but I do get tired of over coverage and weather people trying to stand up in 80mph winds telling us how rough the hurricane is. We know already!!! Rolling Eyes

pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Sorry I haven't been around lately. Enjoying the weather too much with too many barbecues going on and also moving house shortly.

The reasons why I find the weather interesting because here in the Great British Isles the weather is soo varied. In one end of the country it could be blizzard like conditions and in the other nice bright sunshine.

I don't find it dull or the people who study it dull, it is quite fascinating how the weather works.
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather can be very boring or very interesting. The average British weather is dull, cloudly, drizzle, some more cloud (out of interest, it's glorious sunshine today! I'm melting!) But I do love a good storm - I find them very exciting. I love to watch very heavy rain (you know the kind that bounces off the ground) from indoors. I love thunder and lightening.

I too when I was younger briefly wanted to be a metrologist and chase tornados (how cool would that be!)

Now, I'm not that interested in weather. I only watch the forecast if I have outdoor plans, which isn't very often!

As for when it will rain, the cows will tell you! Hehe

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

As for when it will rain, the cows will tell you! Hehe

Now you know that's not true Wink
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we saw this when I was doing an archaeological dig at Silchester. There was a field of cows just by the dig-site, and the proportion that were sitting down roughly equated to the percent likelihood of rain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: