Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
killer robots!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: killer robots! Reply with quote

I just love this story! It's like something from a science fiction film....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8182003.stm

The actual reality of story is actually quite worrying; unfeeling and inhuman machine choosing who will live and who will die based on programming. Creepy.

Are you for or against using such technology on warfare?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a promotional vid I saw on Youtube for Samsung's automated gunnery turret ( might of been Samsung )

It could apparently recognise people and mince those people you told it you didn't like.

Can you imagine working for Samsung as an engineer.

Yeah, Our Mk III gun turret is giving South Korea a hard time again, can you go and see what's wrong with it?

You would learn to be a ninja that could bypass night vision and infra red sighting ( just in case ) to 'service' these things.

Quote:

Howard Marner: Crosby, what's it gonna do?
Newton Crosby: Howard it's hard to say, it's malfunctioning, it may not do anything.
Skroeder: But it COULD decide to blow away anything that moves, couldn't it? COULDN'T IT CROSBY?

Quote:

The Terminator: The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
Sarah Connor: Skynet fights back.
The Terminator: Yes. It launches its missiles against the targets in Russia.
John Connor: Why attack Russia? Aren't they our friends now?
The Terminator: Because Skynet knows the Russian counter-attack will eliminate its enemies over here.

We all 'trust' humans because we understand ourselves, we feel we can reason with ourselves. We all feel emotions and have 'loss'.

To get that into a machine you're talking AI. Who's going to say that this intelligence will do what you want it?

I'm not convinced... yet...
spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust it either. I saw a you-tube a while back and this automated turret was supposed to give a demo to a crowd of military officials-in Africa, I believe.

Damn thing wigged out and started shooting the crowd up !

So no, thank you .

Spart Shocked Shocked Shocked
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if AI will ever be *that* reliable. As long as you have combatants masquerading as civilians or just plain not in a uniformed military as we see in the Middle East no one nor any thing is going to be able to separate enemies from innocents; except when they shoot at you and then the enemy can put down their guns for the robots and there you go, mission foiled.

BBC Article wrote:
Between January 2006 and April 2009, he estimated, 60 such "drone" attacks were carried out in Pakistan. While 14 al-Qaeda were killed, some 687 civilian deaths also occurred, he said.

I'd like to how they got those numbers. Supposedly, the drones are used when it isn't feasible to send in troops. So who counted the corpses and how do you know an unknown civilian or an unknown member of al-Qaeda.

This may be more reinforcement for the concept of "Kill'em all, let God sort'em out." Joking. sorta. Smile

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One positive thing about this idea is that if we send in robots our soldiers are less likely to be wounded or killed in action.

Ok, how about this for an idea. Why not have a remote-controlled robot going into battle? Every action is controlled of the bot by a human being (or several) hundreds or thousands a miles away in safety. That way, we still have the say in what goes on, we can still put humanity into the decision and it's less likely that the machine will become self aware and take over the world!*

*someone is now going to point out that this is already the case.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not *robots* as such. But remote controlled aircraft piloted from thousands of miles away.

A professor of AI and robotics Professor Sharkey has been saying for ages that

"These guys who are driving them sit there all day...they go home and eat dinner with their families at night".

"It's kind of a very odd way of fighting a war - it's changing the character of war dramatically."

These are however aircraft, they are not robots as I believe you mean. Locomotion ( something that humans take for granted ) isn't as easy as what you might think.

Robotic soldiers as you suggest are perhaps a better idea, but i'm sure it's only a matter of time before some politician realises that they can cut defence budgets so now the various defence departments start looking ot make cutbacks with human soldiers...

Aren't we all cynical here ? Very Happy
Krymmsun
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A government run by baboons can't even possbly be this stupid. People are unpredictabl enough. Giving a machine, one that's meant to kill no less, artificial intelligence is just asking for troube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Aliens & Conspiracies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: