Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Could you live without your mobile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Could you live without your mobile? Reply with quote

Driving home with my friend who I car share with, we had the following conversation.

She will be called 'Louise' for the purposes of this.

Louise : Still not got your text you know?
Me : You'll get it in about 3 weeks then no doubt.
Louise : Oh, switched itself off again, when my contract is up in November i'm cancelling it, and I just wont have a phone.
Me : What about going pay as you go? - at least have a phone in the car should you break down, you can get hold of someone then.
Louise : No, not having a phone at all.
Me : *Mock surprise* You mean, I might have to ring you if I need to get hold of you in the future?
Louise : Or email.

Now, Louise has a lot of Helen's qualities, this means she is incredibly popular and gets a lot of email, she checks who has sent her anything during her dinner hour at work if anything needs attending to and replies when she gets time.
So phoning her on her land line and having to do that old fashioned thing known as communicating with someone else if I need to organise something with her is perhaps what it will have to be, though I could contact her over MSN I guess as well.

Besides my natural concern for her saying she's not going to have a phone at least just to keep in the car for emergencies, it got me thinking... Could *I* do without my mobile.

I send the odd text, and get the odd phone call, I get through under £10 a month ( which may drop more if I move to O2 as Orange are spamming me too much at the moment).

So, could you live without your mobile?
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Could you live without your mobile? Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Now, Louise has a lot of Helen's qualities, this means she is incredibly popular and gets a lot of email,

Here, have two:

Also, aalpha how do you feel about this?

~ AVARiCE
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Could you live without your mobile? Reply with quote

AVARiCE wrote:

Here, have two:

Why thank you Razz

AVARiCE wrote:

Hey! he nicked my popcorn smiley!
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avarice - ??????

Minty's original question before being distracted by Av's weirdarse picture - Nope, I like my phone. Ok, it's nothing flashy - it does the job for texts and emails but I do like to have it as a 'safeguard'.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

Avarice - ??????

Avarice has picked on Specter before when Specter said he thought Bubble looked nice in whatever outfit she was wearing at the time when she posted a picture of herself.

He also went for Bean when he said he thought Claire looked nice in a picture she posted of herself.

Avarice will always go for people when they make compliments regardless. Ignore him, I usually do Smile - a world without compliments is a very sad world indeed.

Thanks for bringing my thread back on track Smile

I don't think I could do 'totally' without my phone ( although I did post a conspiracy theory ages ago about how *they* could track you throuh your mobile phone )

I do like the easiness of if you break down you can call someone to come pick you up, or the odd text to get hold of someone quickly.

But I dont remember the last time I made a phone call.
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Could you live without your mobile? Reply with quote

AVARiCE wrote:
Minty wrote:
Now, Louise has a lot of Helen's qualities, this means she is incredibly popular and gets a lot of email,

Here, have two:

~ AVARiCE

Not sure if the "this" is your pic which I don't get in light of the thread, or if it's about the phone question. I try to treat all gadgets with the attitude "Once upon a time this didn't exist" but that's a little difficult with PCs and mobile phones.

I only send texts to about 3 people. I do find it very beneficial to be able to call from where ever to where ever. Whenever.

Minty, check on this for Louise. Here in the States cell phones that have no service are required by law to be able to call 911. Now, the 911 people might be a bit pissed if some one with a leaking radiator called them for help but at least your friend would have that bit of emergency contact.

pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could, at this particular time in my life.

I don't like it when people are on the bus and they ring to tell someone "I'm just coming home on the bus", First of all do you really need to tell them you will be home in a matter of minutes, is it really that important that you will be walking through the door so you can talk to them face to face rather than down a phone line. I really don't understand.

But they are good in emergencys.
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Could you live without your mobile? Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:

Not sure if the "this" is your pic which I don't get in light of the thread, or if it's about the phone question.

You have to have to understand the Av mindset for it to make sense I think then Smile

aalpha wrote:

I try to treat all gadgets with the attitude "Once upon a time this didn't exist" but that's a little difficult with PCs and mobile phones.

Yeah, I take the same view, though as we all agree - good for emergencies.

aalpha wrote:

Minty, check on this for Louise. Here in the States cell phones that have no service are required by law to be able to call 911. Now, the 911 people might be a bit pissed if some one with a leaking radiator called them for help but at least your friend would have that bit of emergency contact.

I do believe this is true as well, many a mobile will say 'Emergency calls only' when they are either getting a poor signal from your network ( all providers are supposed to cover each other ) some phones say this even without a SIM card in them, which is good.

Pickle wrote:

I don't like it when people are on the bus and they ring to tell someone "I'm just coming home on the bus", First of all do you really need to tell them you will be home in a matter of minutes, is it really that important that you will be walking through the door so you can talk to them face to face rather than down a phone line. I really don't understand.

Yeah, I think we all think that hence...

Dom Joly by any chance Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvfqETRYLbo

Look at me! Look at me! i'm the phone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: