Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Wedding themes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Wedding themes Reply with quote

I've not been on the forum for a few days as I have been to a wedding, of my second-cousin, in Cambridge. It was very non-traditional and I loved it for this reason. They didn't do anything because it was expected of them - they did it because they wanted it. I'm usually not keen on weddings but this was special and different.

Here's a little run down on the day.

Dress - she wore a royal blue and white medieval style dress (loved it). He wore his family's kilt.

Ceremony- took place in 14th century church in a picturesque village in the countryside

Modes of transport - the bride came to the wedding in a horse and carriage - the horses were bloody gorgeous! The newly married couple left the church in horse and carriage which took them to the river. At the river, they boarded a punted down the river to the hotel. A way to arrive in style!

Cake - the couple met in a pub called The Plough and to remember this, the sponge cake was in the shape of the pub! It was brilliant. Piccies to follow.

Theme - the theme was stars. When they met, he was studying astro-something and they met in a pub called the Plough (like the constellation) so they felt it was fitting to have a star themed wedding.

So my question is have you been to a wedding with an interesting theme/events?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as it's what they want more power to them Smile

I've so far resisted the temptation to get 2 people who are about to get manacled together for life a 'Deepest Sympathy' card by getting whoever I end up taking with me to whatever wedding i've gone to, to do it instead.

Went to my sister's wedding not that long ago, which was traditional, so pointless mentioning it anymore in here.

The only other 'different' one I've gone to was my uncle's wedding to my auntie many many years ago, which he had in a registry office.

I couldn't of been that old at all, I just remember being told we were going to Bath, us all meeting up in some hotel and next thing I know i'm doing a lot of pointless standing up and sitting down.

Looking around I did like the no nonsense attitude of a registry office, and as I thought everyone got married then, decided that's what I wanted, eventually I realised that you don't need to get married if you don't want, but I still say it'll be a registry office with the minimum amount of people as possible.

Without the pointless standing up and sitting down again. Walk in, both say 'yes' to the quick quick version like they had in 2 men and a little lady 'Do you?' 'Yes' 'Do you?' 'Yes' - Right you're married.

I'd still prefer freedom though.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've so far resisted the temptation to get 2 people who are about to get manacled together for life a 'Deepest Sympathy' card by getting whoever I end up taking with me to whatever wedding i've gone to, to do it instead.

I considered doing that but I don't know them well enough so they would get the joke and not take offence:P

I forgot to mention they had a "brideman". He was a bit like a bridesmaid e.g. best friends of the bride, but male and he didn't wear a dress!

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine from school had his sister as best man.

He was very defensive about it, even though I told him he didn't need to be with me, it was their day and no one else's.

We have those civil ceremonies now as well, where one of them is 'the girl' or where one of them is 'the man' in a traditional wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9j6DE6RnSk

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a handfasting once http://www.handfasting.info/

It was very interesting. The couple have been together for years, when they first decided to spend the rest of their lives together they bought a plot of land and planted some trees, which they would use as the place to one day have a handfasting ceremony in. They had 2 children by the time they had the ceremony and the older (a boy) was involved in the ceremony. They were both dressed up in a medieval style (she had a lovely dress) - the son said that if mummy and daddy got to dress up then he should too, so he came dressed as a Jedi.

I really enjoyed the ceremony. All the guests stood in a circle around the couple and at one point we passed around a cup of cider and each said a message to the couple before drinking and passing on the cup.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rach wrote:
I went to a handfasting once http://www.handfasting.info/

At this wedding I went to, after the 'you may kiss the bride', they put their hands together, one on top of the other and the priest (who was female woot) wrapped a delicately embroidered cloth around both the hands. I can't remember what words she said as she was doing this. Paul says this is an old pagan tradition. Is this kinda what you described?

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The couple's hands were fastened together, so I guess it probably is the same tradition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: