Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Superstitions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Superstitions Reply with quote

As today is FRIDAY THE 13TH, I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to ask if anyone had any supersitions or if they had any little rituals they did.

Throwing salt over your shoulder, something to do with black cats, mirrors, touching wood etc.

I don't have any superstitiions.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Superstitions Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

touching wood

Tee hee Laughing

Quote:

Jack Crow: Can I ask ya somethin, Padre? When I was kickin your ass back there... you get a little wood?
Father Adam Guiteau: What?

No I don't have any superstitions but I do enjoy doing the opposite to what you're supposed to do.

For example, I walk under ladders for the fun of it.
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't throw salt over my shoulder because I'm the one who has to clean it up, but I do knock on wood as we call it. You knock lightly 3 times and in the absence of wood you tap your knuckles on your head.

That's about it.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears actually that we've had 3 Friday the 13ths this year, and this event only happens once every 11 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091113/sc_livescience/fridaythe13thyourluckisabouttochange
pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
It appears actually that we've had 3 Friday the 13ths this year, and this event only happens once every 11 years.

Yupp I mention this on the last one! Not the 11 years though just that there was 3.

See http://wwwarea51newmex.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=5699
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091113/sc_livescience/fridaythe13thyourluckisabouttochange

Shame it's not every 13 years then people would be getting spooked!

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I say something that might jinx my luck, then I touch wood (stop sniggering minty...) to stop it from jinxing it. Not sure I believe in it, but its something my grandmother always done, so I picked it up.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rach wrote:
If I say something that might jinx my luck, then I touch wood (stop sniggering minty...) to stop it from jinxing it. Not sure I believe in it, but its something my grandmother always done, so I picked it up.

Quote:
To touch wood or knock on wood is a superstition action to ward off any evil consequences or bad luck, perhaps because of some recent action you’ve taken or untimely boasting about your good fortune (“I’ve never been in danger of drowning, touch wood”); it can also be a charm to bring good luck.

The origin is unknown, though some writers have pointed to pre-Christian rituals involving the spirits of sacred trees such as the oak, ash, holly or hawthorn. There is, I’m told, an old Irish belief that you should knock on wood to let the little people know that you are thanking them for a bit of good luck. There’s also a belief that the knocking sound prevents the Devil from hearing your unwise comments. Others have sought a meaning in which the wood symbolises the timber of the cross, but this may be a Christianisation of an older ritual. It wasn’t always wood that was lucky: in older days, iron was also thought to have magical properties, and to touch iron was an equivalent preventative against ill-fortune.

The phrase itself is relatively modern, as the oldest citation for the British version of the phrase, touch wood, that I can find dates only from 1899. The American equivalent knock on wood is roughly contemporary, with my first example from 1905.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-tou1.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: