Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
A Late Apology

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: A Late Apology Reply with quote

A grim chapter in the history of the UK.

Quote:
About 10,000 children were sent down under from orphanages and institutions in Britain from the 1930s to 1967.

They were promised a better life but many ended up suffering terrible abuse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8233359.stm

I was aware of this event from when I visited Australia. Several places we drove past where children lived and worked were pointed out, I didn't realise just how much forced-child immigration went on.

The British Prime Minister will be apologising on behalf of past government actions. What do you think to this apology? Too little too late? Better late than never?

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody should be strung up. From both countries. Unfortunately the guilty may be dead by now. You have to hope there is a hell.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A Late Apology Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

The British Prime Minister will be apologising on behalf of past government actions. What do you think to this apology? Too little too late? Better late than never?

So he can say sorry then ? - Sorry seems to be the hardest word for our cycloptic overlord.

While it is honourable of him to say sorry to the number of children who were treated like this, did the British Government know this was happening?

Quote:

British Government ( to child ) - We are going to send you to Australia because we believe you can have a better life there.

Australian Government ( to British Government ) - Those children you sent us? - pass us another boy, this one has split.

Child abuse is sick, but sick people know it's 'wrong' and keep it a secret otherwise they know they will be stopped.

I doubt the Australian Government make a song and dance about they have been allowing child abuse. So they probably didn't know either ?

Or was it more of a case of

Quote:

British Government ( to child ) - We want to send you to Australia because we believe you'll have a better life there. Ignore the reports about child abuse, we just want to get rid of you... I mean have you sent there with the minimum of fuss so you're someone else's problem. A bit like immigration.

There were news reports quite recently last year perhaps? about an Irish Orphanage where child abuse was rife, should those in positions of authority apologise to those people who grew up there?

See the 'See Also' links down the right hand side for this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8135747.stm

If the British Government was oblivious to what was going on in Australia, and as far as they were concerned only good was happening it perhaps makes their apology although it was good of them to do so, it's perhaps slightly 'empty' as they aren't actually apologising for anything.

Why haven't you apologised for what has happened? - go on, they suffered greatly at the hands of Australian Orphanages. Not knowing about what was going on, is no reason to not say sorry.

If however the British Government did know what was going on, they just wanted to get rid of them, then like aalpha says, someone should hang. Knowingly sending vulnerable helpless children to a place of abuse is an inherently evil act.

Why is Gordon now apologising now for this? Was he even born then?

Even though I've always thought he has the face of an Action Man who's been left in front of the fire just that little bit too long, he doesn't strike me as having been around since the 1930's, was he even in Government by the late 1960's ?

He has as much reason to be sorry as you or I. Governments don't pass down their faults to the next, otherwise I want the German government to apologise for sinking HMS Hood ( one of my favourite WWII battlecruisers )

Saying sorry would only mean sorry when it came from the people responsible.

I tell you what Mr Melted Action Man Face. Lets have a look at the things you haven't said sorry for, but really should instead of trying to look like you care 7 months before the full weight of the electorate kick you out of office ( unfortunately far too late )

How about you apologise for your actions in the ruination of our economy?

How about saying sorry for selling off our gold when gold prices were through the floor ( why do countries keep gold stocks? to carry them through a recession, we were riding high at the time and didn't need the money, unfortunately, you thought we didn't need gold either )

How about saying sorry for preceding over the biggest debts this country has had ( on your watch )

But you seem a incapable of that, so I've got to rely on this it seems instead

http://www.sorryfromgordon.com/

The Mash points out that children in other orphanages and schools are being abused constantly

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/logic-abuse-rife-in-catholic-schools-200905211779/
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minty wrote:
While it is honourable of him to say sorry to the number of children who were treated like this, did the British Government know this was happening?

Depends.

Did they know the abuse was going on? Probably not - why/how would they? It's thousands of miles anyway, there were fewer children's charities which encourage reporting. Back in the good old days, child abuse wasn't talked about as much. Thankfully, it is being spoken about a little more in the modern day. However, it still isn't greatly spoken about, I'm sure a lot of horrible stuff goes on nowadays behind closed doors that the public/authorities know nothing about.

However, did the know that the force immigration was going on? Yes.

minty wrote:
I doubt the Australian Government make a song and dance about they have been allowing child abuse. So they probably didn't know either ?

Again, they probably didn't know at the time the abuse was going on but basically kidnapping kids and forcing them to be shipped to the other side of the world against their will? They knew that.

Apparently, the Aussie government will apologize first (or have already done, I'm not sure). Our beloved government wont be apologising until the new year.

you again! wrote:
Why is Gordon now apologising now for this? Was he even born then?

I guess public pressure and he is (unfortunately for us, the public, and for him) the face of the UK at the moment. The buck stops with him.

I do agree that him apologising, when it's not his government or his fault, is a bit pointless but I'm guessing that he thinks it must be done to save face. The Aussie government are doing it so they better do it too or they'll look like insensitive jerks.

And indeed, you're right, while he's at it, he should apologise for ruining this great nation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: