Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
10yr Refuses to Pledge Allegiance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: 10yr Refuses to Pledge Allegiance Reply with quote

Ok, a 10 year old boy refusing to pledge alllegiance maybe not a story in its own right but when he does it because he feels that the country discriminates against gays, then it makes an interesting article!

I've gotta love this kid - he's pretty smart, doesn't follow the crowd and he's standing up for what he think is right.
He must be pretty brave too - I don't know many adults who would stand up (or sit down in his case) for what they believe in.

Quote:
“I've always tried to analyze things because I want to be lawyer,” Will said. “I really don't feel that there's currently liberty and justice for all.”

http://www.arktimes.com/articles/articleviewer.aspx?ArticleID=2f5d7a3b-c72a-446b-8d20-3823aa79c021

any thoughts?

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its fair enough.

When I lived in America I used to Pledge Allegiance - despite not even being a US citizen. When I think about it, its kinda weird as I didn't have the rights of a citizen but I still had to pledge allegiance to a country that wasn't my own.

I am not sure how I would feel now if I had to pledge allegiance to my country every day tbh though. I don't know how the other Brits feel about the idea. Not sure how I can put my feelings into words about this, so I will step out and see how other people discuss this...

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's spot on. Blacks in this country have always had a problem with "land of the free. . . " and understandably so. I know this will be misunderstood but short people, fat, bald, ugly, red uh, sorry ginger headed, or any other descriptor you can find have always faced being ostracized, rejected, and put out.

I will readily acknowledge no one has made it a practice to burn their homes, or lynch them or drag them behind a pickup truck until dead but discrimination is what it is and it's all over the place.

Americans would be smart to put the pledge of allegiance in a mason jar until people can become more selfless.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 10yr Refuses to Pledge Allegiance Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

Quote:

“I've always tried to analyze things because I want to be lawyer,” Will said. “I really don't feel that there's currently liberty and justice for all.”

I liked him up until he said he wanted to be a lawyer. He doesn't feel that there's currently liberty and justice for all, just those people who have the biggest bank balances to pay for the best lawyers and... Oh hang on a minute...

He's trying to stand up for what he believes is right, and i'm impressed he's doing that, that's something to be admired if he did say some sentence that's supposed to infer you believe in something ( while he really doesn't ) then it's just lip service anyway and a waste of time.

If he doesn't believe in it, then he shouldn't have to say it. I can imagine some authoritarian though trying to get them to do what they say anyway

Authoritarian : Pledge allegiance!
Child : No, I do not believe in the sentence as I don't believe it holds true.
Authoritarian : Pledge allegiance anyway! - everyone else does it
Child : Just because other people think it's a good idea, doesnt mean it is
Authoritarian : Pledge allegiance!

Rinse and repeat

This child is going to grow up and become one of those Human Rights Lawyers isn't he ?
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orrrrr, he may become a "hanging judge." Well, we can hope he'll hang the guilty no matter how rich they are. OK, maybe not. Maybe he can find a way to prevent cock-eyed California juries.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minty wrote:
He's trying to stand up for what he believes is right, and i'm impressed he's doing that, that's something to be admired if he did say some sentence that's supposed to infer you believe in something ( while he really doesn't ) then it's just lip service anyway and a waste of time.

Out of interest, why do you believe that he doesn't really believe in what he's saying?

minty wrote:
This child is going to grow up and become one of those Human Rights Lawyers isn't he ?

Yup

Either that, or he has 'peaked' too early and once his class peers catch up with him, he'll end up being a person with intelligence and will end up working in Burger King.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

Out of interest, why do you believe that he doesn't really believe in what he's saying?

Ahh no, what I meant was, if he did say it and he doesn't agree with it, then he's merely paying lip service. So standing up for what he believes is a good thing and to be admired.

I don't think he believes in what he's saying because he's said himself he doesn't believe.

You could perhaps travel to go see him and get a quote from him therefore getting the comment first hand, but it seems a bit pointless.

Egg and cress Deli wrote:

Either that, or he has 'peaked' too early and once his class peers catch up with him, he'll end up being a person with intelligence and will end up working in Burger King.

Can you imagine the story he tells his work colleagues and customers? - Hey! I could of been somebody do you remember that news story a while ago about that boy who refused to pledge allegiance? - that was me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: