Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Excluded from School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Excluded from School Reply with quote

Been thinking about kids who get expelled from school and whether or not it does any good. I'm thinking that it does more harm than good but I'm interested in what others think.

I have a friend called Yvonne. Her 5 year old nephew has been permanently expelled from school for hitting a teacher and a pupil. My friend is very upset about this and doesn't know how to advise her sister, the mother of the child in question, on what to do about his behaviour. While the behaviour is completely unacceptable, I don't believe exclusion is the right thing to do. It'll just teach him that he can get a few days off school if he's naughty and he still needs to be educated somehow (after all he is still very young and by all accounts is very bright).

What are your opinions on exclusion? Do they work- e.g. stop bad behaviour? Do they cause more problems? Do you know anyone who has been excluded from school?

Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I dont know anyone that has ever been expelled, I do have an opinion formed on it. There should be a certain level of discipline enforced (like if a child commits a murder they get tried as an adult, well maybe if they decide they want to hurt someone there should be some kind of consequence)

I know if I hit someone at work i would get fired, and people hitting other people at school get expelled, but thats a bit different. I dont think an education should be taken away from someone., even if it's a forfeiting situation like that. have the kid do some time away from school, maybe take some anger management, and get him back in that chair.

I guess it could go either way, depending on the severity of the matter, but it aint like he stabbed someone.
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back corporal punishment.

When you can't even discipline your own children for fear of some overbearing jobsworth from the council fining you hundreds of pounds and giving you a criminal record for child abuse because you did what any good parent should of done it's gone too far, you may be the best parent in the world but if you can't enforce boundaries for your child, then they are going to learn that they can do as they please.

There would be no need to enforce discipline in schools if discipline was enforced first in the home.

There was a video on Break.com that was recorded on some grainy mobile phone of some teacher going postal on his classroom, teachers need to be able to do that to disruptive scrotes.

More people need to learn at the school of hard knocks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_Hard_Knocks

Though, saying that incredibly intelligent children become bored with repetitively easy lessons. Things may not be going fast enough for him?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/children-should-be-educated%2c-say-experts-200910162143/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: