Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
What is the opposite of De ja vu?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: What is the opposite of De ja vu? Reply with quote

De ja vu is when you think you have experienced some event before. So what is it called when you discover something you should know from the past and realize you never heard of it?

Oh. What's the French word for "clueless"?

Monday night I wasn't feeling all that good so after supper I turned on a portable room heater and crawled in to my TV chair and promptly fell asleep before 9pm.

I woke up at 3am and realized I had not gone to the gas station to feed poor Houdini. I started to say screw it but felt guilty so I drove down there.

He came trotting out of the bushes, obviously glad I finally showed up. I fed him and he forgave me and all was well.

I'm not sure you needed to know all that but that's how I wound up watching "Married With Children at 5am. Couldn't go back to sleep and channel surfed catching the tail end of at least 3 movies then Married With Children, which I've never watched regularly.

Here's where the coincidence comes in. In the process of playing out the story line, Al Bundy made a wisecrack to his wife - something about "the last time *she* brought anything home it was the swine flu."

I thought "this can't be a recent episode - the character named Kelly was still a teenager which is not the case in 2009. Lo and behold the info guide revealed the show is 22 years old. The show was from 1987!

It's funny to me how you (I) form impressions that something like Swine Flu is new and current and then you find out it's as old as the hills.

I'm going to bed now. I'm sleepy again.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
Oh. What's the French word for "clueless"?

Je ne sais pas

Photenic - jenny say pa

Try that:)

don't worry, I'm loosing my memory too.

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Je ne sais pas is just about the sum total of all the French I know. When I was in 7th & 8th grade I took French. We weren't allowed to speak English in class and Je ne sais pas was my stock answer.

The teacher asked me what the word for 1 is and I said "huh" and she understood me to say "un." It was one of the few in class questions I ever got right, uh, sorta. Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: