Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
The earf *is* flat the earf *is* flat!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVARiCE wrote:

3) Heathrow really is a hellhole.

~ AVARiCE

Been anywhere nice? I've only been to Heathrow once and I can't say it was bad place really, big and busy but not a hellhole

AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Cyprus for a week.

I'd be willing to bet that Heathrow was designed with the sole intention of reminding us that our holidays are over and we have to return to our depressing working state. My flight was supposed to land at 7:46am but the idiots in ATC had us circle and we finally landed at 8:10. It wouldn't be so bad but we were circling in some REALLY shit weather which led to:

a) The worst turbulence I've ever experienced. At one point I thought the pilot had lost control. Thankfully I'd welcome dying in a plane crash - fast and painless.

b) Half the passengers puking. I've never heard so many coughing/spitting noises in such a small space before.

So yes. Heathrow is a hellhole and I'm considering burning or peeing on some part of it as revenge. Which reminds me of something funny at the other end, but I'll save it for another thread.

~ AVARiCE
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good summary and starting point for the open of mind.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_113009/content/01125109.guest.html

This link may not remain active long, Rush updates his site every day so week old stuff may not be available. This link is from Monday.

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Av wrote :

Quote:
the idiots in ATC had us circle and we finally landed at 8:10

Really Av. crap weather and only a 15 minute delay ? You got off lucky.

Spart
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 and the weather wasn't the cause of the delay.

~ AVARiCE

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/05/blogs/coopscorner/entry5905404.shtml

I'd love to see Bill O'Reilly's body language expert evaluate Dr. Watson's head wagging and what that might meaneth.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me of this thread by the end of this week, when everything may of calmed down a bit and things have returned to some what of a resemblance of normal. I'll go through it properly then.
aalpha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. . . .

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*w00t the bad weather gives me a chance to poke a hole in minty's argument*

minty wrote:
When I had just started school, I remember playing in the snow, throwing snowballs at each other, if we got a large amount of snow we got sent home.

Other things that used to happen was that during the winter I had to trapse off in the morning to catch the bus to school and if it didn't turn up we left the bus stop to go back home, w00t! - day off school.

One day where I was just about to leave for home the bus turned up, though got stuck going up a hill, so when the driver went to get help, I legged it back home.

I had a great day sledging instead.

As I got older, the story was the same through out the years, if it snowed I could rely on either not going to school, or going home early.

Another time me and dad made a snowman in our front garden, old coffee pot lids for eyes, stones for a mouth, and branches for arms, over night some horrible people kicked it down, so we only made them in the back garden since then.

Great days, we don't get snow like that anymore.

First hand evidence you know.

Some years we have heat waves, some years we have cold spots. I don't think it's anything old or new - it just varies from year to year. I don't think you anecdote 'proves' anything about the climate changing.

We've had snow now for nearly three straight weeks - I don't remember anything like that before. I do remember school being closed only once when I was very little. I was speaking to some more senior people and they remember periods of bad weather like we're having now - back in 1981, 1963. I remember particularly hot summers of 2006, 1995 and people inform me that 1976 was hot too. 1952 and 2007 were very wet years with wide spread flooding.

Periodical unusual weather is nothing to worry about in the long term.

Also check out this very cool satellite image of the UK - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8448399.stm

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear weather,

It's very hard to put up an opposing opinion when you do this Very Happy

However...

Yes the snow has fallen and in Scotland temperatures dropped to minus 20 ( that's cold for Scotland )
warwgn and Sparticus will now chuckle that's their summer but I digress.

I remember being guranteed snow each year, recently ( last 15-20 years perhaps ? ) that isn't so possible anymore.
Just because it's snowed now, is no indication it will snow again next year.

Many thousands of years ago, we were in an ice age ( we aren't now ) although being a laymen here, it doesn't take much brainpower to realise we aren't now and what must of happened for that to of occured.

I saw a documentary ( might of been on Discovery ) about the history of the earth, and they said that every X number of years the Earth 'wobbled' and this 'wobble' caused the change in climate, namely another ice age. Then it would 'wobble' again and we'd thaw out a bit this pattern has been occuring for longer than what even aalpha has been around, i'd say that this is pretty natural.

I haven't through out this entire thread at any time said it is us totally to blame. In fact I said I didn't know, but would see what opposing opinions I could find and put them in here.

Though I did find my opinion eventually, which was

I wrote:

Do you think that maybe it could be a bit of both?

We seem to have 1 climate change ( why is it called climate change and not global warming anymore ? ) and 1 anti climate change?

what if they are both right? - nature is doing one bit, and we're doing the other bit? - putting pollution into the atmosphere can't be good from either point of view, no matter which camp you're in. So can we work towards a common goal and not sit there bickering at each other ?

Yes, a very long time ago the earth was a very inhospitable place to be indeed. But over time the earth cooled, and we had an ice age ( Oh scrat!, Sid the Sloth etc )

What i'm saying is that, pumping poisonous gases into the air we breathe ( don't believe me? let me stick you in an airtight box ( no windows either ) and via a Schrödinger's_cat like set up, set off a CO2 fire extinguisher in the same air tight box in which you are. I would like to see if you are still alive.

If there is some experiment that's been conducted to show that CO2 works as an insulator for infra red heat, then that adds 'fuel to the fire' but polluting our enviroment cannot be conductive to good health whichever side of the fence you're on.

This winter may of been the coldest on record but what of the summer just gone?

Here's the word from the lying, cheating good for nothing Met Office

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/policymakers/policy/slowdown.html

Tell you what let's try an experiment.

1) - Buy an outdoor thermometer
2) - On the 15th of every month, record the temperature
3) - On December the 15th, add all those numbers up, and then the result you get divide by 12
4) - Do the same for the next year
5) - And the next one as well
6) - When you have a fair few years gathered up, what have those average figures done?

After a few years have been gathered and you can see a 'trend' developing, you can perhaps create a line of best fit.

Extend that line for lets say 10 years, write up your findings on paper and send it in to some media outlet.

Use words such as 'if trends continue' then ___________ will happen.

Watch as everyone decides to read your findings to what they want to believe. This may involve people 'skimming' over the short sentence you put at the beginning 'if trends continue'.

Oh yeah, this experiment? no fiddling the figures now, that's just what this thread started with.

Which reminds me, I really should read the links that have been posted by aalpha so that I may take onboard what he has said himself. As at the moment my opinion is still unchanged, it's both, though pumping poisonous gases out should be lessened if we can, if people more learned than I say certain things like water vapour and CO2 can act like a blanket, then I will take what they say onboard, if it is later disproved that they were wrong, their credibility has dropped seriously and you know to take what they say with a pinch of salt ( or grit ) later.
aalpha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, and I don't begrudge Helen having her way with Minty especially since he is so deserving of being thrashed about, but this thread is not about odd weather patterns.

It is about the lie perpetrated by men and women who were suppose to be objective and honest scientists who have by there own words been exposed as frauds, liars, political hacks and in so doing have destroyed any semblance of credibility in the scientific community.

Not even the perverts in the Roman Catholic Priesthood damaged the Church as much as these prevaricators have hurt science.

Worse, the people of the world for the most part are too much like sheep to notice or care.

aalpha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is from the horse's mouth. Just read the article. No need for me to labor over it.

I think Dr. Jones is unaware that some of the emails wherein he and colleagues discussed hiding even destroying information in order to prevent Freedom of Information requests from being granted have been read by people all over the world.

But here's his position.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1250813/MAIL-ON-SUNDAY-COMMENT-The-professors-amazing-climate-change-retreat.html

And another article

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/158214

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all.
Surprise, I didn't disappear. Computer was down for quite a while,
but I think I have it squared away now.

Just a little add on I saw today,,,, seems they ,,ummm,,, misinterpreted the sea rise levels too..oooopsssss !

Spart Razz Razz Razz
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Hate Mail and Daily Distress of course it's lies! Very Happy

TheBozzy
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Psychology teacher is VERY anti Global Warming. He says that it is all propaganda just to make Al Gore rich (which I believe) but then again, if the earth goes in weather cycles, how do we help it by polluting the air, water, ect.

I went to Appalachian State University this summer with a school program, and they loaded our head with all of this "green" information. Most of it was really neat, and I think our world would be better using green technology, but the way the economy is globally, I think changing everything now would not be a good idea. For example, we took this lame survey thing asking us how we live (eat a lot of meats, recycle, take long showers) and I got like 8 earths. So basically what that is saying, if everyone lived like me for a couple thousand years, we would go through 8 earths. Thats impossible, and kind of stupid. **EDIT**: I actually got a very low score compared to my classmates...

All in all, I think that global warming is just a hoax, but going green is still pretty awesome. Instead of spending lots of money, I help the earth by recycling almost everything (except underwear, of course) and taking shorter showers. Which is good enough for me.

~TheBozzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: