Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
False Advertising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: False Advertising Reply with quote

We all know that advertising is designed to sell and designed to promote a message about a production, but when does the message go to far and be misleading?

Twiggy, a model who's now in her 60s, has been featured in an ad for 'Olay Definity eye illuminator' with airbrushed eyes.

Article

Doesn't all advertisments potentially mislead customers? Does this go too far in conning consumers or should this be acceptable? Don't all adverts encourage viewers to strive for the impossible anyway?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: False Advertising Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

We all know that advertising is designed to sell and designed to promote a message about a production, but when does the message go to far and be misleading?

When they make incorrect claims. L'Oreal made some anti ageing cream with some ingredient called ( I am not making this up, I remember the adverts ) boswelox.

It later came out that there was no such thing ( funny that ) and they had to pull it from their ad campaign.

Also they must remain within the confines of the law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Descriptions_Act_1968

area51newmexico wrote:

Doesn't all advertisments potentially mislead customers?

How so? - I guess you could say that the marketing slogan, 9 out of 10 cat owners said their cat purrfered it ( cack bastardisation my own )

Could be potentially misleading as a sample of 10 people is not indicative of a big enough marketing base, even though they may of asked more, but then who ran the survey... If they wanted people to believe it, maybe they should make it more accountable, but then people don't think that far, it's just a series of words that stick in people's heads that they next associate with a product.

area51newmexico wrote:

Does this go too far in conning consumers or should this be acceptable?

Just like those shampoo ads no one believes anyway. They all have some woman swishing her hair all over the joint, as if you need shampoo to do that ?

I think we've perhaps become desensitised to the whole ad industry, I mean who buys a product based purely on the ad campaign anyway now?

One thing I dislike about the whole marketing industry is the making of a intangible 'product' ( demand for another product or service ) through the use of various 'buzzwords' that no one knows the meaning of but everyone thinks that 'it must be good' or 'but it says so'.

I only buy things that I have a need for at that time. A good product will sell itself no ad can 'create a need' like they perhaps did in the past.

$Supermarket own is exactly the same thing and does just as good a job at half the price, any fancy packaging is just going to end up in the recycling bin anyway, it's the contents of the packaging you're interested in not the packaging.

area51newmexico wrote:

Don't all adverts encourage viewers to strive for the impossible anyway?

Only stupid people fall for this. Your best friend in the whole world once told me that on tubs of ice cream the best thing to use for the picture is mashed potato, this is apparently ( if the text is to be believed ) the 'serving suggestion'.
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen, I don't know if it's you or the BBC but one of you knows how to really push my buttons.

SEVEN HUNDRED people COMPLAINED Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Mad Mad Mad THEY ACTUALLY COMPLAINED AS IN SENT AN EMAIL?? CALLED?? WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF

The article is so precious. Just *look* who is spearheading the ♫♪cam♫♪paig♫♪ne.♫♪ For God's sake. Lookit. . . .

The Article wrote:
More than 700 people complained about the "digitally re-touched" image in a website campaign set up by Jo Swinson, the Scottish Liberal Democrat MP.

I swearrr that's all these people know how to do piss and moan groan and cry over something somebody has, does, is or otherwise ain't like them and all they can do is COMPLAIN.

Geeeeezeus. I was going to bed early tonight now I'm going to have to take a sleeping pill or I'll be fuming over this til 3am.

Should I complain? hmmmmm?

errr hmm, *sighs*

OK. Sorry. Let's see.

Do all ads potentially mislead? No not all ads mislead consumers

Does this go to far? Maybe. Except most people know you can't do much about aging. Except die.

Don't all adverts encourage viewers to strive for the impossible anyway? Nyaaa, if all our goals were practical there would be no exceptionalism. We should all strive for excellence for example. Then no matter how short we fall, we've done our best.

I prob won't take a sleeping pill fwiw. I'm dog-assed tired. snore. . . .

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
Helen, I don't know if it's you or the BBC but one of you knows how to really push my buttons.

Geeeeezeus. I was going to bed early tonight now I'm going to have to take a sleeping pill or I'll be fuming over this til 3am.

Opps I feel guilty now!

aalpha wrote:
SEVEN HUNDRED people COMPLAINED

That's a lot compared to others. Last week I was reading how an ad was removed from TV because 6 people complained.

minty wrote:
Just like those shampoo ads no one believes anyway. They all have some woman swishing her hair all over the joint, as if you need shampoo to do that ?

I think we've perhaps become desensitised to the whole ad industry, I mean who buys a product based purely on the ad campaign anyway now?

Not me. I think I've become so cynical I don't believe anything (unless it's a study which says that chocolate is the best thing you could ever eat and you should eat aleast 5 potions a day. I'd believe that for some reason)

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good example of misleading advertisement. My daughters Like french fried potatoes. A couple of years ago they saw an ad on TV for " potato mitts "

Essentially, it was a pair of gloves that you put on to scrub the skin off of potatoes to prepare them for the fryer. The ad made it look easy as hell and would free you from the work of manually peeling them.

Now when the mitts arrived is when the deception became clear. You have to
BOIL the potatoes first ! Right. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to save time and effort.

The girls were disappointed and felt they had been had been had. We returned the mitts for a refund ( which took 6 weeks to receive ). At least they learned a valuable lesson to not believe all astounding sounding ads.

And for aalpha : You mentioned sleeping pills which call to mind another example. Most of the over the counter, non prescription sleep aids contain Diphenhydramine hydrochloride as the sleep inducing agent. This is the same ingredient in most allergy medicines, including benadryl. Go to the store and look at the price for ,say, Sominex. Here in the states the markets really gouge on the price. I have seen them for 9 dollars and up. The same stuff is being sold as the store brand generic allergy relief medicine for about 25 percent of the price for the brand name. Same thing for Benadryl . Just look on the package for the active ingredient.

One more example are these things my wife got called " green bags ".
They are a ziplock bag that was supposed to keep fresh cut vegetables fresh in the fridge for an extended period. On the ad they showed fresh salads being stored. We eat a lot of salad around here and my wife goes to great effort to clean all the vegetables and get the pesticides off.

The hook here is that you cannot store mixed vegies together in the same bag without them starting to turn brown and yucky.

I guess it gets back to that thing of if it sounds to good to be true.........

Ase pasa

Spart

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as they say in their advertisements if anything has been added or changed then it's fine.

Like mascara adverts they always say "filmed with lash inserts" at the bottom of the screen.
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle wrote :

Quote:
"filmed with lash inserts

Really ? I do not recall having seen that disclaimer over here, perhaps the disclosure rules are different. Besides that, having a DVR, we tend to fast forward through the commercials anyway.

The ones that get me are still the late night ones for all the anti-depressants, etc. My God, the litany of possible side effects are frightening.

Spart
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When drug ads come on TV here I hit the mute button. I feel like if somebody tells me one more time what I should "tell my doctor" I'm going to blow a gasket. Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: