Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Hey again!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Hey again! Reply with quote

Sorry I have been awol for a while, but this (academic) year has been hectic for me. I am in my final year so I have a tonne of work (struggling with a dissertation. I had 10,000ish words of essays to write over the Christmas hols on top of that!). I will hopefully be less busy this semester (as I am taking less modules than last semester), so will be around more Smile

I just found out yesterday that I have got a place for postgraduate study next year so I am happy - I am going to do a Postgrad Diploma in Conservation (looking after art, archaeological etc objects), which looks amazing Smile. Although it means I have to move, as it is a full time course, so commuting isn't possible. It's quite scary as I have put down roots here over the 3 years of my undergraduate degree. Anyone have any advice for moving somewhere I know practically nowhere about? How should I find a place to live?

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone needs to say it but you're excused. Very Happy

Anybody with as much on the ball as you doesn't need to apologize for being absent.

And Congrats on your studies. salute hello1 occasion5 Dancing notworthy

I just read a fascinating article in the Smithsonian (Feb2010) about the Sphinx which involved the attempts over the millennia to preserve it. The last paragraph said:

[Mr.]Hawass arranged for workers to drill test holes in the bedrock around the Sphinx. They found the water table was only 15 feet beneath the statue. Pumps have been installed nearby to divert the groundwater. So far, so good. "Never say to anyone that we saved the Sphinx," he says. "The Sphinx is the oldest patient in the world. All of us have to dedicate our lives to nursing the Sphinx all the time"

It looks like you are on a path that needs all the contributors it can get. Good luck and Godspeed. Very Happy

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you well with your studies - you'll go really far in the future! It sounds like a really interesting postgrad course you're doing - keep us informed.

Re moving - how long might you be there at the new town? Are you thinking of selling your current house and buying/renting a new one? An 'easier' (but probably still not problem-free) would be to keep your current house and rent it out. If you do go with this option, I'd recommend doing this through an agency as they can help with any problems with the tenants or repairs, particularly as you might not live near by.

I personally find renting a property far smoother than buying - buying is really complicated and stressful whereas renting it's just a matter of looking a a few places, filling in a few forms and moving in. If you can get somewhere to rent at a similar price (or lower) to what you plan to rent yours at, then you wont be loosing out.

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will def only rent next year, as I will only be there for a year or two, plus I have no idea where would be good to live. Tbh I am just a bit nervous about moving somewhere I have only been once before, and don't know anyone - should I go for uni halls? Should I go for private accommodation (but then I might not be with other students)? I will have to debate in my head for a while...

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: