Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Post Apocalyptic Planning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Post Apocalyptic Planning Reply with quote

I've just seen the movie 'Book of Eli' (recommended - some interesting ideas and scenes) and it got me thinking about a post apocalyptic planning. There would be more law, few resources etc - what would you do? My boyfriend said if we were living in a protected commune he listed a few people he would want with him - my mother, a nurse, included! If he was by himself, fighting against the elements and others, he wouldn't want me with him as I'd be a liability!

So who would you want with you in a post apocalyptic world? Where you would you like to make your base?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Planning Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

If he was by himself, fighting against the elements and others, he wouldn't want me with him as I'd be a liability!

I can just imagine how that conversation went Very Happy

Helen : Do you love me?
Paul : Of course
Helen : If the world came to an end, and we were sent back to the stone age, would you go out and provide for me? in all weathers? would you defend our cave? would you protect me from the world?
Paul : Well steady on there

Got to admire his honesty Very Happy

On a more serious note

Humans are social beings, we naturally gather together in tribes ( going back to the 'everything has been sent back to primitive times' )

We did that for real reasons and not because we felt like it.

Has he not considered that together we stand, but divided we fall ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_we_stand,_divided_we_fall

Quote:

The phrase has been attributed to Aesop, both directly in his fable The Four Oxen and the Lion and indirectly from The Bundle of Sticks.

These 'moral of the story' is repeated across any horror film that has ever been made, once one person wanders off, they are as good as dead.

Would be good to hear his reasoning though, as i'm sure he probably didn't mean it like that Smile

I have thought of this topic a few times, except mine was a little different.
If you were in charge of a spaceship, and could beam aboard people from a zombie apocalypse or other end of the world scenario, who would you beam aboard ?

I would want to band together with :-

Mum ( a nurse )
Sister ( a nurse )
My uncle ( a doctor )
Sister's husband ( because she would worry for his safety, and he works in the building trade )
my friends ( because I would worry for their safety if I didn't know they were safe )

Look at the recent Haiti earthquake ( a 'end of the world scenario perhaps on a relatively smaller scale' ) and the amount of people who have been trying to reach loved ones just to check that they are ok.

I think that's perhaps the reason why we feel love for family and friends. When we were cavemen/cavewomen it held us together as a tribe and our chances of survival were higher than if we struck out on our own, I don't believe that someone's abilities should be the only deciding factor. Just because you do job X doesn't mean you can't do jobs A,B,C.

Depends on the landscape in this post apocalyptic world. If it's Fallout - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_%28video_game%29 ( great game btw ) based then in a cave deep in the rocks would be good. Disused mine whatever.

Alternatively, if I could exist above ground, then using the lay of the land to my best advantage, high up, well protected from the elements ( eg, perhaps deep in a forest ) where'd we make our camp.

It'd be like some elven town, with rope bridges and high up platforms i'd imagine.

Though I must admit, i've spent the odd time considering post apocalyptic scenario's and what foodstuffs I would stock up on and what else I would need ( batteries and a battery powered radio to see if anyone manages to get on the air and broadcast anything important etc )
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would be good to hear his reasoning though, as i'm sure he probably didn't mean it like that

I think he was referring to the film,The Book of Eli. In the film, the main character, Eli, is on a mission and is travelling across, I assume, the USA. He's by himself and there are a lot of unpleasant people about which he must defend against. He does not have a home/cave/compound which can be fortified and defended. If he was in that situation, he wouldn't want me there as it was bloody dangerous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Aliens & Conspiracies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: