Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Not to brag but we have snow!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Not to brag but we have snow!!! Reply with quote

I know you folks in the UK have had plenty of snow this winter and certainly Spart is eyeball deep in it.

We're getting our share as I type. It's 5:30am EST(GMT-5) and it's been snowing since approx 7pm so, na na na mmmm mmmm 10½ hours, give or take. Piccies later.

The forecast is the heaviest snowfall will be during the day Saturday leaving us with 12 inches or so. Initially my area was slated for 3-4 inches but now 12 or so.

I don't know what I'm going to do with Roswell these days. She runs from me and acts like she is scared to death of me. I found Jasper a new home.

She clearly was jealous of me feeding Jasper and acted like a pissed off girlfriend so I got things all set up and delivered Jasper to a woman I know who has been looking for an outdoor cat for some time.

I think I well and truly f**kedup the day I took Jasper to his new home. (Tuesday 26th) I had him in a carrier and I saw Roz across the street in my neighbor's bushes.

I took the carrier over to the fence and showed her Jasper all caged up and moaning like a dying cow with a belly ache. I thought she would connect the dot "Jasper is gone - my problems are gone."

Instead I think it went more like "holy shit - I must be next!!" Roz now acts like Jasper did when I put a foot forward in his direction and he turned and headed for the horizon.

I can't believe after 2½ years Roz would be afraid of me.

Oh well, she hasn't survived in this area for at least a minimum of 10 years, now in the 11th by being gullible. Food won her over once, food won Jasper finally ANNND he doesn't seem to be upset with me for uprooting him.

At the moment Jasper is in two cages connected to each other on my friend's porch. At one end is his bed box the other end holds the litter box. She covers the cage with a tarp at night to keep the cold out as much as possible.

Yesterday we cut, glued and reformed a banana box then covered it with a multi-layer of newspaper with a spongy foam on top of the the paper. The foam is like you see in protective cases for delicate instruments like cameras, lenses, etc.

Banana boxes have openings in the tops and bottoms. we used the larger hole for his entrance and placed a piece of drapery sample material with a slit for a curtain.

Once we got it all built I took it out to put it in his cage. Man-O-Man!! I put my hand deep inside the box to push it back and it was like a low heat oven. Oh, the box sits on a layer of wheat straw.

At one point I had to hold Jasper while CJ (his new owner) got some stuff redone in the now disconnected cages. I held him and he didn't fight or try to get loose. He's still moaning though but he doesn't seem afraid or too stressed out.

He knows he's being treated well and cared for but I'm sure he wants to be free and not caged up. He'll be in the cage about 3 weeks all total. Hopefully by then he'll accept his new home and will trust CJ.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everything works out ok with Jasper and his new home.

Re Rossy - cats are strange and unpredictable creatures. With Clio, sometimes when I go over to see her, she thinks I'm the best thing since slided bread. She's follow me around everywhere and will be very loving. Other times, she's just not bored by me and will ignore me:(

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you trying to reassure me but Roz's behavior goes well beyond a mood or disposition quirk. Right now my biggest consolation will have to be if she's afraid I'm going to box her up then time will tell the story that I'm not.

As for the piccies I promised in my post above I don't think there will be any. Our snow is really white ice. There's no beautiful snow covered trees and the usual picturesque stuff that goes with snow. Thankfully it only stuck to roof tops, roads, and lawns or we'd have more people without power. I'm fine so far and haven't heard of much power outages around here.

aalpha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a happy update for me!! Very Happy Very Happy

Thursday night I came home from Wal-Mart with a arm load of bags and who do you think is hanging around the back door meo. . . uh begging for food.

Yep. Miss Roswell actually let me kneel down . . . oh, now I get it. That was probably expected. Anyway she came right to me and let me pet her a bit and waited for me to get my stuff inside and return with some food.

Normally after she eats, no matter how little, she goes off to groom and clean etc., and won't let much of anybody get close. Tonight she sat by her plate and I brought some kibbles and she ate those too and didn't run away.

I'm **very** encouraged. Since she saw Jasper moaning in a cage in my hands he has been worse than Jasper was when he was the most afraid of me.

Speaking of Jasper, he's snug as bug in a rug and barely sticks his nose out of his foam hut.

Artemis' shaved side from her surgery has finally filled in with short short short fur, enough you can see the color pattern and it covers the rough skin. But a huge crop circle still shows on her side.

Houdini is a fat little butterball.

Oh, and I installed a new iPod battery today. So far so good. The last one I got was total crap.

And Scott Brown was sworn in as Senator Thursday afternoon. I heard on some talking head show he'll get Kennedy's office. I hear they fight over office space like camp kids fight over the top bunk. There may hope after all.

I'm hearing murmuring and discord among Democrats over Obama's new budget which is a job killing, economic disaster Part II, and the fact he wants Dems to keep drinking the kool-aid no matter how pissed off the voters are. They are basically beginning to wake up.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not. But I'm going back to bed before I have to pee again. . . .

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Three cheers for aalpha!

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US snow has made the news over here too.

Piccies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: