Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Punishing Parents for Kiddies Actions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Punishing Parents for Kiddies Actions? Reply with quote

If a child committs a serious crime (e.g. murder etc), do you think the parents should also be punished by the courts?

I'm in two minds about the subject but I'm interested to hear what others thinks on the subject. The parents are the ones who bring the brat into the world therefore should be responsible for them but it's not always easy to control their behavour. Also, by punishing the parents, the kid will think they have effectively gotten away with it so the punishment doesn't help. Also who do you punish - mum, dad, the probably various step parents, babysitters, foster parents etc?

(I'm not sure what the legal age in the UK which children can go to prison or if there are special children's prisons here - so someone else who is more knowledgableon the subject can help?)

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in favor of punishing the parents. We all have to be responsible for our own actions. Only if the parents participate in the crime should they have any accountability.

Here, if a child (minor) hurts or kills someone with a gun the parents can be charged with some law to do with improperly storing a firearm. As I type I don't think I've ever heard of similar charges involving any other weapon or object.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another forum I used to frequent, they would have the odd 'Real Life Meetup' which usually involved either a day out a barbecue and a campsite, or whatever activity most people decided to do.

The one rule they had though was you had to be 18 or over. A lot of other people under that age posted some well thought out replies to that asking 'If I can get there, have permission to be there, and behave' there should be no reason why age should have to do anything with it and that people of any age can misbehave.

The reply was that if something should happen, who would be legally responsible, because over the age of 18 you are in the eyes of the law an adult and therefore legally responsible for yourself everything was clear cut for everyone.

Everyone wanted a good time, no one wanted to be considered 'responsible' ( ie make sure a responsible adult ) is on something that was supposed to be fun.

Therefore, until your child reaches a certain age, you are legally responsible for them.

I think ( or it was ) when I had to take various letters home from school ( when terms where, what the school was doing, never anything bad Razz )

It was always addressed to parent / guardian. I asked what is a guardian and I had it explained to me that sometimes children don't have parents but they have someone else who has to look after them. That person would be responsible for that child until they reach legal maturity.

I don't see how this is any different. This doesn't mean the child should get off at all and use this as a bargaining chip however should that thought arise.
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being responsible for a minor means you are the one who provides material things like food, clothing, and shelter, as well as other things it takes an income to provide, like health care or education if you so choose to send yours to a private school.

It also includes such intangibles as protection, teaching them how to be sociable etc.

Most courts also expect the parent or guardian to pony up if the child misbehaves and knocks out 62 windows at school or slashes the tires on 15 cars. But even then if the child is old enough, the child is the one who can be sent to reform school or jail, not Mum or Dad.

However, if your 9 year old takes a butcher knife from the kitchen, or from any where else and stabs mean ol' Mrs. Jones from two doors down 37 times, the courts don't try to put *you* in jail.

When it comes to willful behavior, there is a point where the individual stands on his/her own and alone.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hate to break with tradition and not post a Mash article Very Happy

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/all-bad-things-caused-by-vhs-copy-of-%27ghoulies%27%2c-says-cameron-201001262411/

Surely though, if a child is capable of even thinking about stabbing Mrs Jones from 2 doors down, then have the parents failed in their responsibility also in bringing up a child with respect for others ?

Surely, if a child if capable of such atrocities, they didn't come from the iconic 'loving' family.

No one said parenting was or is easy, but there comes a point when you hold your hands up and say 'I can't do this anymore, I need help' and you go running to http://www.parentlineplus.org.uk/

But surely to bring children up in such a toxic atmosphere could be considered neglect in and of itself.

Perhaps if we instill responsibility in wayward or uncaring parents to act more responsible with the 'adults of tomorrow' things like this can be quenched at the source, maybe they will take more interest in their children rather than them feeling disconnected with their real family and seek that and amusement elsewhere.

Perhaps I just have the 'torture brothers' story still running in my head

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/laurence-white/torture-brothers-the-product-of-a-toxic-upbringing-14650908.html

I do not disagree with what you say, just perhaps I look to other causes and any underlying issues.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps I just have the 'torture brothers' story still running in my head

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/laurence-white/torture-brothers-the-product-of-a-toxic-upbringing-14650908.html

I do not disagree with what you say, just perhaps I look to other causes and any underlying issues.

That horrid and tragic event lead me to this thread.

However, while I agree that the kids may not have had a perfect upbringing, it explains the behaviour but it does not excuse it. Many children have terrible experiences but many do not commit such crimes. Some children have 'textbook' or good upbringings but still don't stay on the straight and narrow.

While parenting has a lot to do with how a child acts, I think there are many outside forces and influences at work which the parents cannot control.

aalpha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
While parenting has a lot to do with how a child acts, I think there are many outside forces and influences at work which the parents cannot control.

BINGO!! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: