Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Who's that? there's an app for that

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Who's that? there's an app for that Reply with quote

There's now a iPhone 'app' that will take a picture of someone, then trawl Farcebook for pictures that match your picture and then bring up all those details on that person's phone.

Yeah, a complete stranger can now get your farcebook profile from just passing you in the street.

Where do you live? who are your friends? where do you hang out? what do you do? where do you work?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/23/recognizr-phone-app-helps_n_473921.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2872019/Stalker-fear-over-facial-recognition-phone-app.html

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Ages ago.
spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote :

Quote:
Yeah, a complete stranger can now get your farcebook profile from just passing you in the street.

This is just creepy on SO many levels.

I prefer to maintain my privacy, at least to the extent possible , in this day and age. No facebooking, no twitter, etc.

I feel that we are over surveilled as it is. I fail to understand the compulsion to post the details of our every day existence for the world to see.

That is why we live in the forest.

More privacy.

Spart

Shocked Shocked
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, don't you have to put that info *in* Facebook? People have searched for me in Facebook and can't find me. 1.There are scads of people with my name. 2. My name works forwards or backwards and 3. My picture is a cat. Not one of the 4 below.

Good luck photons. Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
But, don't you have to put that info *in* Facebook? People have searched for me in Facebook and can't find me. 1.There are scads of people with my name. 2. My name works forwards or backwards and 3. My picture is a cat. Not one of the 4 below.

Good luck photons. Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

Yes. You would have to put that data into farceface but if you were offered something that said something along the lines of 'here's a place to put all your photos and share with your friends!'

You'd do that because that's what you'd believe you were doing.

Hey! - here's pictures of my night out!

Here's me on my birthday!

Here's me on my holiday!

Here's my wedding!

Here's my baby!

This website is great I can share everything with my friends and stay in touch with people I used to know from school but didn't really talk to.

That was why you were doing it, you weren't doing it on the off chance something could track you down.

Which does interest me, if you're not putting pictures into farceface, what are you using it for?
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we all know about me and pictures of myself now don't we? Phishermen will be dragging their hooks through the mud here. Laughing

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spart wrote:
I feel that we are over surveilled as it is. I fail to understand the compulsion to post the details of our every day existence for the world to see.

Yes, I wonder that too. Maybe people like to put their details on facebook for all to see because it makes them feel famous/important/well liked?

There seem to be two extremes. At the one side, you've got people who feel the world has too much survillance and at the other extreme, you've got people who actively seek to have other people know their business. Big Brother and other TV shows being the most severe 'case'

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aalpha wrote

Quote:
Well we all know about me and pictures of myself now don't we? Phishermen will be dragging their hooks through the mud here.

That was my early morning, second sip of coffee chuckle Laughing Laughing Laughing

Spart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Aliens & Conspiracies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: