Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Online to replace offline games ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Online to replace offline games ? Reply with quote

After wandering around Kings Lynn recently I discovered Rainbow Six, a game I had ages ago but the one I found had the various expansions with it.

As it was under £5 I thought I may as well get it again and see what it had to offer. I've yet to install it however, I find I busy myself with WOW instead ( I used to do the same with Everquest when I would play that until I burnt out on it a few years ago)

It's not that I feel that a specific game is better than any other, I just tend to end up playing games where I can be far more sociable ( me alone, against the program code seems to pale in comparison to going against the programming code with other people, or going against each other )

It's not just me and WOW though, it's any game it seems with an online social aspect many people at work are telling me about their 'farms' they built on Farmbook or something on facebook.

Will there be a time when, to be competitive every game has to have a online social aspect? - or can games stand on their own merit and remain offline and succeed ?
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the reason why online games are more popular is that they are 'easier' - e.g. you don't have to organise transport to your friends house, organise a babysitter (if you have kids). Where as with online games, you can still 'see' and speak with your friends with ease. You can do it at your own pace and in your own time. Most boardgames require 2 or more people to play and if you can't sleep at 2am, you can't wake up your mates to play but you can play a computer game by yourself.

AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you once saw WOW as the devil...

Also, I'm currently rocking Dragon Age: Origins. What a game.

~ AVARiCE
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVARiCE wrote:

Pretty sure you once saw WOW as the devil...

I did. The joke was that I used to play Everquest and anything I said could just of easily of applied to me then anyway Very Happy

Tomato Sauce wrote:

I guess the reason why online games are more popular is that they are 'easier' - e.g. you don't have to organise transport to your friends house, organise a babysitter (if you have kids). Where as with online games, you can still 'see' and speak with your friends with ease. You can do it at your own pace and in your own time. Most boardgames require 2 or more people to play and if you can't sleep at 2am, you can't wake up your mates to play but you can play a computer game by yourself.

A good point. I used to play Dungeons and Dragons a lot with friends, however as 2 of them went and got themselves wives and children, another got a girlfriend and moved, and the others just moved ( Leicester, Warwick and London ) it made gaming much harder.

I did then get an urge to want to play it again early last year and so came up with the idea of writing some sort of internet server client program that would allow us all to have our gaming sessions over the internet making transport / babysitting easier.

I eventually found something that already existed that did exactly the same job for the same purpose, I told all my friends about it, but once I had told them all about it I went off the idea of playing and so it all died again.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty - your internet server client sounds like a really good idea - maybe you could develop it for profit and for others to use?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
Minty - your internet server client sounds like a really good idea - maybe you could develop it for profit and for others to use?

Unfortunatley, some one else got there first Sad

The link below i'm not sure if it was the same version I found a few years ago, it looks too different from what I remember, but this was kind of like the idea even if it perhaps wasn't the same thing I found originally.

http://www.rpgtonight.com/

The idea being that one of our gaming group would be 'the server' and everyone else pointed their web browser at that person's computer, thereby serving up a web based interface allowing us to do everything we needed to do. Voice comms would of been provided through some VOIP implementation.

I had given it some thought in how it would run, but as I started to actively work on it I came across other implementations of it and suddenly found myself asking the question 'why reinvent the wheel' ?

I would of crafted it though had other offerings not existed as it was something that interested me and would help us get the gaming sessions back that we used to have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: