Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Subzilla Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's sittin in there for now, still got a long way to go. The headers did not fit, and would you believe it they had the right headers in stock at Orileys!!! there flowtech but what the hell they will work and if I have issues can swap them out later.

anybody wanna buy a set of hedman 's for an 88-94 with a big block? just a few scratches on them.

now all I got to do is install the tranny and t-case and all the extras. The get the 6" lift so I can put the front driveshaft in!!

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what's going on in most of this thread... but I can't help but keep coming back to check out what's going on. It just looks awesome.

~ AVARiCE
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple to understand, I am giving it more power!

so work came to a screeching hault today!! the trans mission internal harness connector needs to be upgraded to work with the computer controler I got for it. $174.00 more added to the build.

So I just bolted stuff in place for now and towed it home so I can work on it as I see fit and take my time. Here are some pics from today.

The 4L80E on the inside, that is the harness I need to replace to updat it to work with the TCI controller.

Here are the VSS connectors, the front one is input speed and the one the back is output speed (VSS) its just above the main harness conector

Added drain plug and port for a temp sensor while I was at it

PLenty of room between the brake booster

lots of header room too.

So the harness is on order so I will just chip away at the rest untill that comes in and then it will be ready to start once that's installed.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so got the core support in and the tranny cooler in place, still need to run the lines to hook it up and also mount the remote filter.

Not much for pics but here is the throttle bracket I pieced together.

the cooler installed

the tranny view, you can see the drain and temp sensor port.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so got the bulk of the wiring done, the tranny lines ran, the remote filter tied in, and the tranny computer mounted and all the lights wired up.

here is the tranny lines and filter

here is where the computer is gonna go

and in the box

tranny end

headed to the engine compartment

all mounted up

the inside switches and laptop port wiring

and the rest of the clean up wiring

all put in new tubing. Still got a ways to go but feel like real progress now.

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, are you a mechanic by trade or did you just grow up working on them ?

Spart
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope I am a quality engineer by trade, but this is my hobby. I started taking stuff apart when I was about 2, andhave rebuilt several engines, ATV's, dirt bikes....the list goes on. I am completely self taught and just go for it, so it's fun to see if will all work.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

startin to look like a truck again!!

and stabbed the distributor today

I love the 8.8mm plug wires

the homade throtle bracket looks to work good so far.

not too much left now, still got the fuel pump, the torque converter to bolt up, and some more wiring.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warwgn wrote:

nope I am a quality engineer by trade, but this is my hobby. I started taking stuff apart when I was about 2, andhave rebuilt several engines, ATV's, dirt bikes....the list goes on. I am completely self taught and just go for it, so it's fun to see if will all work.

Same story with me, I find too many people these days are fearful of what they might break.

I stick to that good old saying 'Experience is proportional to the amount of hardware you've broken' Very Happy

Looking fantastic I must say I love the personalisation on the valve covers, and the picture of the gearbox and the Huggies box in the background - the comment 'the hard part start tommorrow' - i'd of thought hardware is more agreeable than children Very Happy
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so two videos. the fan kisses the shroud and sounds terrible but it runs!!

a little more without the noise of the fan.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oh it is so cool to hook your truck to your laptop and see what is going on, what gear it's in, throttle position, tranny line pressure, tranny temp, RPM, charging voltage, and thats just what I have figured out so far!! Got the laptop to talk to the tranny ECU and that is all the crap it tells me so far.............ohhhhhh mmaaaannnnnn..............I am very happy right now!! Got to stop workin on it for now but all I got to do is put the shifter in and sort the exhaust out and take it for a drive. Oh feels so good.

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job my friend.

Was that the standard cam in the engine ?

Spart
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure, cant seem to find the cam specs for the GM L19 engine? It is stock right now but not sure what that is?

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success, got it sorted out this morning, not sure what I did or how but it shifted just right and did what it was supposed to do. I drove the burban to work and she runs 2700 RPM at 80 MPH with 33's and 4.10 gears, I hit a max speed of 93 and it was smooth as silk the whole time. I tweaked the force tables a little when I got to work and will upload that before I go home and see how the "shift kit" feels. Thinking about taking it for a 200 mile trip tomorrow and see how it does and what sorta gas milage it gets.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well total disaster today!! Decided to take the burb for 200 mile drive down to Albuquerque to see how it does, and it didn't. Made about 50 miles and the tranny seemd to start slipping, just power loss bigtime, so pulled over and popped the hood and could swear I heard the water boiling in the head!! I was thinking no way, not with the big radiator and oil cooler and tranny cooler!! But it was hot for sure, so reached down to see how hot the remote tranny filter was and it was ice cold?? hmm, so fired the laptop up and hooked in and the tranny temp was at 268 degrees!! too hot for sure, so I let it cool for a while and try it again still slipping like a bitch but grabbed enough for me to move further off the road, and to forget the hood was popped and the wind to catch it and dang near fold it back. That will need to be fixed now since it catches at the rear and wont open without a lot of messing with it.

Anyway let it cool some more and get it down to 200 degrees and try again and nothing, line pressure shows 55 PSI but in drive it goes nowhere! So start reading up and figure out how to hook up the manual shifter function, so take about half hour riggin up wires and ready to go again, well it dont move so pull it down to 1st and she goes slow and slipping then shift it to drive and use my wires to force it up some gears and it builds speed and finally hit 4th and the torque converter locks in and it appears to not be slipping now so I drive about 15 miles and it goes to slipping again and loosing speed. I pull over shift back to 1st and start again and this time make it about 20 miles before it acts up. Managed to get it home this way and it hovered around 230 degrees.

Anyway seems it is gettin way hot and has some issue with the pressure? Cant figure out how the filter stayed cold other than no fluid circulating but then how would it be able to work at all if it was not pumping?? Gonna have a hard time figuring this one out.

well on the good side drove it like that and did around 100 miles and the gas guage barely moved so it seems to get good gas milage! The bad side I was on my way to ABQ so I could catch a plane for buisness travel this morning, so after getting home at 8PM called around and no rental cars available except for a for ford focus. I am 6'5" do you think I got that clown car?? Hell no, took the wifes truck. So the bad thing is now I am at the airport and wont be home till friday to start figuring it out. Anybody got any guesses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: