Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
How aalpha admits he is destroying his life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: How aalpha admits he is destroying his life Reply with quote

aalpha has admitted to being somewhat of a hoarder

So I couldn't help but think of him as I read this earlier today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100426/us_time/08599198444400

(If aalpha ever played WOW, he'd no doubt be horde as well)
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to have to admit while I have not exactly backslidden I have stopped making progress in cleaning up my one junk room. If I had not found out about "hoarding" my stuff would no doubt be in several rooms by now. I guess if there is any such thing as a "contained hoarder" I would be him.

BUT, I am in a much better frame of mind for advancing and conquering my demon. Instead of being unemployed I now work for Apple.

Well, for now anyway. I've been on my own now into my second week and still don't have a supervisor. Consequently I have not heard anything good, bad, or indifferent about how I'm doing.

I have to believe no news is good news. Last week I had no less than 4 women tell me they loved the sound of my voice or that my accent was cuuuuuu-yute whoooo!!! Now how cool is that?!?!?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's quite funny how this thread was posted Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 pm

And I could just cry was posted Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 am

7 hours later Very Happy

And my thread was called 'How aalpha admits he is destroying his life' Very Happy

Anyway... You say...

aalpha wrote:

BUT, I am in a much better frame of mind for advancing and conquering my demon. Instead of being unemployed I now work for Apple.

You say you're in a better frame of mind because you're not unemployed anymore, you're working for Apple.

I believe this is like those people who **think** they are happy, even though they actually aren't.

Because they aren't happy, they tend to feel ill more, but aren't sure why. After all, they **think** they are happy, so they don't consider it anymore.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sexy southern beaut wrote:
I have to believe no news is good news. Last week I had no less than 4 women tell me they loved the sound of my voice or that my accent was cuuuuuu-yute whoooo!!! Now how cool is that?!?!?

Awwww bless. We all agree here!

Back to the topic at hand!

While hoarding really bugs me (I live with one), I think it's a bit extreme to say that in most case it ruins lives. If that's what makes the person happy, then leave them to it.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beans on toast wrote:

While hoarding really bugs me (I live with one), I think it's a bit extreme to say that in most case it ruins lives. If that's what makes the person happy, then leave them to it.

I think the key word here is moderation. We perhaps all do our own bit of hoarding. Old clothes we are too fond of to throw away, trinkets that were bought on memorable holidays away which are really now just taking up space.

That I believe is fine, and is touched upon by the article itself and defines the 'point of moderation'

Quote:

All of us have special relationship with things and that relationship is in some ways magical. We get carried away with those attachments and - while that could get more of us into trouble with our possessions - most of us are able to decide when an object begins to interfere with our life. We do something about it at that point. That's the thing that's so troublesome for people who hoard: when the object begins to interfere, they simply put up with it rather than deal with the item.

Yes, your point of 'if that is what makes them happy then leave them to it' *does* apply here very much so. If hanging onto things is what makes people happy then more power ( and storage space ) to you!

***DISCLAIMER***
Before I go further, I would like to say that I am now *not* refering to aalpha, before this disclaimer yes, and as I associate things to other things ( even sometimes that can be quite a contrived route ( spider webs and all that ) he did jump into my mind while I was reading this which is how this article found its way onto here.

However, as I believe the article goes further than that, I would now like to break that link, infered or otherwise.

There used to be a tv show called 'Life Of Grime' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Life_of_Grime

Which should only be viewed by people with a strong stomach. The article touches on things such as

Quote:

Homes become almost uninhabitable. Narrow pathways referred to as "goat trails" wind through piles of stuff and stacks of things cover sofas and beds, rendering the furniture useless.

Which pretty much was what shows like the above were about, houses that had developed this type of 'hording' level.

Those houses once were all empty, someone moved in, someone accquired more and more stuff until 'goat trails' were formed in the stuff and the furniture disappeared beneath.

There's a 'healthy' level of hording, and then there's 'going too far'.

More power to those people who feel happy doing it, just make sure you don't get too extreme.

Though I do believe this is perhaps what you also meant, as you were replying with moderation in mind.

Though with shows like Life Of Grime it shows that things can be taken too far, Like with anything, and in cases like that, hording has ruined lives.

Though the article does not just pick on horders, it does aim to explain away various myths of hoarders.

Quote:

There are some myths out there about hoarding - that these people are just lazy or messy - and it's really much different than that. It's layered and it's complex. It covers not only attachments to possessions, but the ability to process information in a way that's efficient. You talk to many people with hoarding problems and they'll say, 'I don't really have a hoarding problem, it's just that I don't have enough time to get rid of this stuff.' In fact what's happening, because of the way they process information, is that it takes them so much time to decide to throw something out that they can't keep up with the in-flow.

In closing...
I would like to say that aalpha hordes things as he is unhappy, he is unhappy that he works for a company that is all about style and no substance ( which is every marketing company known to man ) - but then when you work for a company that makes products like the ipad ( demonstrated here http://wwwarea51newmex.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=6436 ) there is emptiness in your soul. Emptiness you must fill Very Happy

Ok.. that last paragraph may be exempt from my disclaimer Very Happy - sorry aalpha, you admitted you worked for aaple you must take the ribbing that all marketing people get from me as that's what aaple is Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: