Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
An open letter to magazines from the internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: An open letter to magazines from the internet Reply with quote

The Wall Street Journal article is here on which this question came from

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703940704575090120113003314.html

It would seem that a lot of magazines and other forms of print media are feeling the pain of the internet

Quote:

Magazine executives spent much of last year telling anyone who would listen that they were taking their brands digital.

Their message this year: Print rules.

So they've come full circle, from 'going digital' to trying to tell people that print is better.

Their reasons are :-

Quote:

The ads press the case that magazines remain an effective advertising medium in the age of the Internet because of the depth and lasting quality of print, compared with the ephemeral nature of much of the Web's content.

"The Internet is fleeting. Magazines are immersive," says one ad, which is slated to appear in May issues of the participating publications. The first spread features a photo of swimmer Michael Phelps from ESPN The Magazine, with the headline "We surf the Internet. We swim in magazines."

I'm unsure what they mean by 'depth' and lasting quality of print, because a magazine is read and then left for recycling after it has served it's purpose. So I feel perhaps the marketing surface of lasting quality is headed towards a big steam vat of other magazines.

'The internet is fleeting while magazines are immersive' it says as well, again i'm unsure - i've spent many an hour trawling Wiki ( i've never gone to TV Tropes, after seeing this XKCD http://xkcd.com/609/ ) but i'd say there is 'immersive' material on the net if you look for it, or find something that captures your imagination.

I used to have various magazine subscriptions, until I realised I could just get the same thing they were publishing with a quick google.

While there are magazines out there with decent content worth supporting, is this merely the churnalist business model grinding to a halt?

Or is there really an end in sight for printed media? - with the net set to move in its place?
spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it foolhardy of them to think that print media is still "the way" to go. Especially newspapers. By the time you get it the news is already old. You can research literally anything that draws your fancy and obtain a plethora of information on it. Many newspapers have ceased publication here with only the larger ones surviving. The online editions of those, sure, Of course Murdoch would like you to pay to see that too. I will just read it somewhere else on the net.

Spart
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason print media is on the auction block in the US is because the overwhelming majority of them are biased. The internet is tumbling their house of cards i.e. control of what we know and how we know it.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working at a printers, I'm all for printed materials! Many people say to me that they only want to a few copies (say 20 or 50) printing but once you have paid for your design and set-ups, it's not that much more to print 1000 or 10,000.

I find reading a printed document far easier than reading from a computer screen.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think of you when I saw that article, hence why it's ended up here Very Happy

area51newmexico wrote:

Working at a printers, I'm all for printed materials! Many people say to me that they only want to a few copies (say 20 or 50) printing but once you have paid for your design and set-ups, it's not that much more to print 1000 or 10,000.

Which i'm sure you mention in a helpful way in an effort to help your customers maximise the efficiency of their money and to build a good solid customer relationship and nothing to do with getting a bigger quote or anything i'm sure Laughing

area51newmexico wrote:

I find reading a printed document far easier than reading from a computer screen.

Interesting, as I find that when I used to do far much more programming than what I do nowadays, I couldn't look at printed source code and be expected to bug fix it. I got 'lost' in the printed code, I had to look at it on screen otherwise I couldn't follow where I was.

I'd end up making far more scrawls all over the paper that'd just end up making it look more illegible to myself. But on screen, I was fine.

My boss is like you in that he cannot read source code on the screen, he needs it out in front of him printed out for him to work with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: