Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
I wish I could write my book and retire. . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: I wish I could write my book and retire. . . Reply with quote

About the time Spart arrived at Area51 I began to upgrade my PC's memory. First 1 gig then 2 then the full Monty 4gigs.

During the process, around 2 gigs my PC began to shut down strangely. If I booted up and shut down with a few minutes everything worked like a Swiss Clock.

More than a few minutes and it would take a full 2 minutes for the choice box to appear - the one where you choose to log off, restart, or shut down. Then it would take 2 full minutes to *begin* to shut down and once the note "Windows is shutting down" appeared another 2 minutes for that to go away and actually shut down.

By and by I came upon the need to go to the Microsoft site and update my PC only to find it would not update. Cor!!!

So I said F it. and used the Task Manager to shut down. It would shut down a bit quicker but still took 2 min to actually close and power off when the "win is shutting down" memo appeared.

C'est le vie. Do do happens.

Well, along comes my iPod Touch. And I see in a Apple page some'ere that I need Service Pack 3 for best results.

So I go and get SP3 only to be told I need to update my windows updater and my PC. I thought "well damn, it never stops."

So just for giggles I clicked "update my PC" and it began updating. I said "Shazaaaamm!!!"

It took forever since it had so much to update but it finally got done, SP3 went on and now me PC shuts down like it's suppose to. Presto!! Bingo!! Do do happening went to the green side of the gauge.

I've said all that to say this, Apple and the iPod Touch pulled my PC out of the ditch. Everyone should have an iPod Touch or an iPhone.

Therrrrrre's yer sign!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by aalpha on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you buy an Macintosh?

AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna run out of macros soon aalpha.

~ AVARiCE

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm havin' a ball. . . . Laughing Laughing Cool Cool Razz Razz Very Happy Very Happy Wink Wink Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Loved the video Minty. Loved it!!!

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:

Loved the video Minty. Loved it!!!

He is right though about that doc menu popping up, it is like boxing with your computer.

Besides, mac's switched to an X86 architecture so they can really be considered pc's that run OS X... ...for twice the price of a pc.

Finally, I wish to post these

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/

/Feeding Troll

Very Happy
spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha wrote:

Quote:

More than a few minutes and it would take a full 2 minutes for the choice box to appear - the one where you choose to log off, restart, or shut down. Then it would take 2 full minutes to *begin* to shut down and once the note "Windows is shutting down" appeared another 2 minutes for that to go away and actually shut down.

The same was happening to me till about a month ago. I was down to 512 megs of ram plus my machine is about 6 years old. I finally broke down and bought another two gigs and it made a world of difference.

Spart Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: