Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
The earf *is* flat the earf *is* flat!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The down side to conservation is when the powers that be see a drop in revenue what do they do? Live with it? No hell no!! They raise the rates so you end up paying more to use less stuff i.e., electricity, gas(natural or propane whatever), water.

You get screwed twice trying to be green. You live less comfortably and end up paying more for it.

Want to go totally green? Shut down all the green advocacy groups.

{Edited by moi} The very last paragraph of the linked article reads thus

AP wrote:
De Boer, who comes from a diplomatic family, was born in Vienna and traveled the world before attending a British boarding school. He studied social work at university in The Hague, and one of his early jobs was as a parole officer. He worked for the United Nations in Canada and Kenya, then joined the Dutch housing ministry.He has been involved in climate change issues since 1994, and three years later became the chief climate delegate for the Netherlands.

pssssst!!! Did anyone forget to tell the AP or De Boer that Dr. Jones of the CRU has just admitted there hasn't been any statistically significant increase in global temps since 1995? Me thinks so. OH!! Dr. Jones also said the middle ages were warmer than today. Maybe he said "probably" but still. . .

Here's the piece

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100218/D9DUKH501.html

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therrrrrre's yer sign. . . .

http://tinyurl.com/3yz6a3d

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of this very same thread last night when I heard this on the news.
I'm not surprised it's reappeared Very Happy

I can only agree with the opening line of the article

Quote:

If this keeps up, no one's going to trust any scientists.

And that would be unfortunate. Part of science's attraction is that it is capable of coming up with conjuncture, then moving into the realms of theory, and then by observation and by producing replicatable results producing why things happen in the world around us.

Granted, sometimes mistakes are made ( we are only human ) but through peer review and others testing the system we can update the science behind the facts presented. A bit like a new version of a computer program, or a new edition of a book where various typos are fixed.

However reading that article ( emphasis my own )

Quote:

All this comes on top of last year's revelation of the "Climategate" e-mails, which revealed equally shoddy practices (and efforts to suppress criticism) by scientists at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia -- perhaps the single most important source of data that supposedly proved the most alarming claims of global warming.

This completely undermines the process by which science evolves and fixes errors in it's original ideas and beliefs.

Take for example the original belief that the earth was flat. As people learnt more about the world around them, and with spaceflight it became pretty obvious that the world was indeed round and now no amount of differing beliefs will seriously suggest the earth is flat.

As this belief was starting to emerge however, to try to supress this new belief from getting out would be damaging and on par with religious book burnings.

A good scientist should be able to take other people pointing out faults that have crept into your work, fix them and produce and updated version. Anyone who takes their pride and is of the arrogant belief that 'they are right and everyone else is wrong' should perhaps look elsewhere, they are obviously not suited to being on the cutting edge of learning new things.

Having flaws in the practices that try to understand the world around us are perhaps forgiveable as these will no doubt be updated in further tests, suppressing criticisms ( providing they are valid ) undermines the whole system and damages any credibility.

The basis for their findings it seems was not based on solid facts but speculation.

Quote:

Yet the Himalayan claim wasn't based on peer-reviewed scientific data, or on any data -- but on speculation in a phone interview by a single scientist.

This is not science's fault. It would seem something that works not for good or ill, but tends to walk the middle line in neutrality but has been corrupted by man's greed for money.

I can only echo the final few paragraphs of that article, for it is a great shame.

Quote:

What does the best evidence now tell us? That man-made global warming is a mere hypothesis that has been inflated by both exaggeration and downright malfeasance, fueled by the awarding of fat grants and salaries to any scientist who'll produce the "right" results.

The warming "scientific" community, the Climategate emails reveal, is a tight clique of like-minded scientists and bureaucrats who give each other jobs, publish each other's papers -- and conspire to shut out any point of view that threatens to derail their gravy train.

Such behavior is perhaps to be expected from politicians and government functionaries. From scientists, it's a travesty.

In the end, grievous harm will have been done not just to individual scientists' reputations, but to the once-sterling reputation of science itself. For that, we will all suffer.

I want to say I forgive them because they don't know what they are doing, but I think very much that they did.

Preventing peer review? - shutting out anyone else but their cronies?

Using specific sentences because that glosses over the troublesome stages of getting their work accepted ( which they perhaps knew it wouldn't )

It's a shame it's come to this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: