Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Subzilla Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here is the operating room and new home for the blazer for a while.

the problem with a 6" lift, the jack wont reach the trans! Nothing a couple blocks of wood cant fix.

decided to change the filter while it was still in the blazer.

was a little sludge but allgone now, and the fluid wasstill nice and red!

came out easy and here it is just waiting to be put in it's new home. Decided to take the transfer case with it since it was clean and painted already.

Look at the pretty new torque converter peaking out.

all bolted up, even went ahead and spaced the crossmember now to save a step when I put the lift on.

I will need to get the driveshavt lengethend when I lift it. So all I got left is the cooler lines, vacum line and the electric kick down needs to be hooked up. Should be a quick day tomorrow and ready to drive!!!

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the words of Willie Nelson..........................I'm on the road again!!!!!!!!

total sucess, got it all buttoned up, even fixed the small power steering leak while I was at it. I have lots of little project to do yet like the electric kick down switch and prolly some fine tuning of the timing and the carb then the interior work will start soon too. Now for the teard down and swap out of the suspension........

spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warwagn wrote :

Quote:
...I'm on the road again!!!!!!!!

Very Cool !! Hope all continues to go well. Knowing you got a solid trans working for you and the engine already proven, looks like most of the battle is won !

Spart Very Happy Very Happy
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OKUDnzQ4xlI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param></object>

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so as you saw in the pics and video I still have the dirty rigged up exhaust, well that is gonna chnage today. I am dropping it off at lunch to get the new pipes put in with a crossover tube! Should be sounding better after that and no more leaky stinky gasses coming out from under the drivers door! Pics tonight!

Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow either way that is super sweet. no leaks is a good thing though Razz i want one!!
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here it is $187.00 later!

Sounds a little tamer now when driving but sitting at idle it has some serious deep tone to it. Will do another video short of it after I get the timing sorted out.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time you made a post I remember you said someting like 'so I got in the left hand side' which threw me for a second... He's getting in the left hand side? - why? before I remembered, from your follow up comment you mentioned the wording was intentional.

Now sat there watching the video, it happened again. I kept expecting to see you approach the otherside before I saw you get in on the farside... Funny how things slip your mind.

Then as i'm sat there watching the video, I was half expecting either someone to come along after you'd driven off and take your camera or some other car to come along and nearly do the same thing except with its wheels Very Happy

I was then looking at the pictures of your new exhaust and with them being at a slight angle I tried to click and drag them to line them up Shocked - i've spent too long today with graphics manipulation software!

Warwgn wrote:

Sounds a little tamer now when driving but sitting at idle it has some serious deep tone to it. Will do another video short of it after I get the timing sorted out.

Would love to hear that, if I remember correctly crossover tubes add mid range torque don't they? though I might be thinking of something else should help when you're off roading.
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some gauges on the way! Best to get some good monitoring of the power plant installed before I take a trip again!

that ought to cover the most important stuff for now, still will need to get the oil press and fuel, then the speedo and Tach. Will be nice to have the full set up when I get it all, but you know budget and stuff makes it slow getting all the upgrades at once.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: fuel pump swap!!! Reply with quote

Holy crap this is a pain in the ass!! Now I know why people cut a hole in the floor to make easy access, I am thinkin I should done the same! Oh well too loate now, so the fun began with taking the spacer pan out from between the body and the bumper! Come on Chevy, do you really need 10 bolts to hold this thing in place? After almost an hour in to the project I get the think out, who knows if I will ever put it back in, just too much trouble! ANyway that done I drop the skid plate and smash my thumb in the process, but it didnt hurt for long, the pain of the bumper taking a chumk of flesh out of my knee as I slid out from under the truck made me forget about it.

Now I am ready to start on the tank, and that's when my helpers show up and make it easy, "daddy, what does this do, what is this tool, what are you doing now, can you move your legs so I can climb up in the back, can you roll the windows down it's hot in here, do you need this tool, can I have this mirror thingy and the magnet!! Yeah 10 YR OLD and 3 YR OLD girl do lots to help out on a project! I am gonna throw that damn step stool away, it magicly appeared right in the way every 2 min!

They finally get to hot and disappear, the tank is finally on the jack and coming down, I can just barely get to the hose clamps to to free it from the lines and let it to the ground. Of course it is covered with a 1/2 inch of dried caked concrete, so I have to chisel that off and sweep and hose and clean some more. Now I get the sending unit out and of course it is not gonna work with the electric pump in any way! So now go inside and look up the parts I need to make this work and find that Orileys has a sending unit without the pump for 61.99, and it is in stock!!

So off I go to the parts house, and my wife actually drove me around and I think she liked it! So we get there and I think everyone in town was there first and in line!! So after waiting around I finally get to the counter and answer the 10 questions to help them find the part I asked for, and what do you know they don't got the part, they have to order it and it is 143.00!! Ok thanks for the help retard, see ya next time I feel like getting frustrated. "Honey can you drive me to the other Orileys where the educated folks work" she says sure, and off we go, well on the way we hit the Autozone just too see. You guess it, we have to order you the 143.00 one!

Uggghhhhh, well we finally get to the other Orileys and there are only a couple folks there and I go through the whole spill again, same deal!! Remember I looked this up on line and it was there and only 61.99, but for some reason they dont show that in the system at all, they all start at 92.00??? well shit, lets go get lunchand head home.

After we eat I get back on the computer and look it up again and this time get the part number then call them and yes they have it and it's 61.99, so I say hold it for me I am on the way. I grab my ohm meter and off we go, I am not taking any chances after the day I have had. We get it picked up and get back home and I start to modifying it to work in my tank and get it set up and tested, whaddaya know it shoots fuel out the tube just like I hoped, hot damn I am in buisness!!

Of course it's getting dark now, and I fight like hell to get it up in place and hook the hoses back up, awww hell, it shoots the pinch clamp off in to no mans land then I smack my elbow on the frame and at that point I call it quits!

So tomorrw I will finish it up and post pics of the mods and how it works!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here are the pics:

first dropped the tank out the blazer

of course the sending unit was broken, at leat now I know why the fuel guage didnt work.

the old one from the burban

both together

now the new sending unit with the blazer fuel pump on it.

A few mods with the tubing cutter

and in the tank ready to go back in the burb.

So didnt go to bad today only took a couple hours and it was all done. Now I got to start the gauges this week and see how that goes!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/46b7_agszXs?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param></object>

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the gauges put in temp like until I get the rest of them and then they will go in the dash.

Had to put together an adapter to make an in-line fitting for the trans guage. used a 3/8 tee fitting and the adapter from autometer.

then solder on a ground wire since it wont have one otherwise.

the water temp sending unit installed

the tranny temp adapter installed and feeding into the auxillary cooler, this will give me the temp of the fluid coming out of the radiator.

and finally the guages in their temporary spot, so far so good, after a little worrying about the flow in the radiator.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as it turns out it want's to run right about 195, so will need to swap out the thermostat to a 195* so it keeps the coolant in the radiator longer and cools better. With the 180 it is just staying open all the time basicly thats why the low flow I suspect.

Anyway, the water runs 195 and the trans never got over 150, and that is coming out the radiator still hadnt gone through the auxillary cooler! I think I am good for all that, now need to adjust the air fuel mix on the Q-Jet and see if it will lean out enough or if I will need to change the primary meetering rods, but that is later, need to pick up a tool first.

So what is next you ask? How bout I clean it up inside, throw the third row seat back in and start looking at puttin the radio in it, just gonna pull it out the blazer and will only have the 2 6x9's for now but will work at least. Mybe throw the little sunpro tach in that I have in the blazer too just for fun. Also swap the air flow control door so I get all the hot air when using defrost blown to the windshield. and the glove box needs to be put in too, hmmm guess that's the small stuf for now, still got the Lift in the works too!

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at your little helpers Very Happy

Dad used to use me as his own gopher when he was working on his car, but that was one of me you have a few more to keep in line Very Happy

Glad everything is going well if slowly, can't wait to hear the off road report, was this the warwgn on silly ass sized struts and tires?

There was a youtube video of a Nissan Skyline which had so many auxillary dials they had to remove the glovebox to store them.

Just noticed you're throwing in a tacho for fun! well if you're doing that you've *got* to get one that has a shift light on it! - just for fun you understand Very Happy

This is what you're aiming for Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: