Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Are you fat? then get given money

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Are you fat? then get given money Reply with quote

Financial Times runs the following story

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6f409b4a-ca46-11df-87b8-00144feab49a.html

Quote:

A public debate on whether people should be given incentives – from supermarket vouchers for stopping smoking and cash for losing weight to toys for children who eat their fruit and veg – is being sought by Nice, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.

We appear to be looking at £400-£650 per person

Quote:

Some, including giving pregnant women on Tayside vouchers worth £12.50 a week, potentially adding up to £650, to stop smoking, or up to £400 to people in Kent who lose an agreed amount of weight, have attracted hostile comment

So, if you're fat, there's no need to go down the gym just yet, hang on you overblown pink Blancmange because some overbearing do gooder ( no doubt from the council ) wants to give you taxpayers money to try to convince you that losing weight is a good idea, or to stop smoking while pregnant.

Meanwhile just up the road, someone who has cancer is told that they can't have their life saving cancer drugs because they are too expensive.

How about telling the human blimps that until they shift some weight they wont get any treatment whatsoever? - still wont make them lose the weight but it can save us so much time and money dealing with people who might actually need help and need it not actually being their own fault.

So, bribing fat people to lose weight and pregnant women to stop smoking, a good idea ?
IceMan
More favourite than Avarice also
More favourite than Avarice also

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if this means I start smoking and put on loads of weight and then stop and lose weight I can get loads of money?? I like this idea as Im skint lol

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:
So if this means I start smoking and put on loads of weight and then stop and lose weight I can get loads of money?? I like this idea as Im skint lol

Yes, brings a whole new meaning to the term 'selling your body' though doesn't it Very Happy
spartman
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

Quote:
Meanwhile just up the road, someone who has cancer is told that they can't have their life saving cancer drugs because they are too expensive.

Yes, plus the "latest and greatest" cancer treatment from big Pharma costs 93,000 dollars a year and extends life,on average, 4 months.

God help us.

This kind of Nanny State crap makes me nuts !

Big Pharma and their poisons make me even crazier. The lame stream media had an article recently that divulged that 85 percent of the "medicines"

Rolling Eyes on the market for depression, etc. actually do little or nothing to help.
And the side effects are gruesome.

But, like Iceman said, ya'll should start puffing away and start stuffing down the pastries. At least you would get a few of your own tax pounds back.

Spart.

Evil or Very Mad
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sounds like a waste of money - as you said there are more deserving recipients for that money. On the other hand you can't tar everyone with the same brush - some people can't help the way they are, it could be a gland problem causing them to be fat, or after so many years of smoking it is really hard to quit - some incentive could be a good idea, but perhaps not money (perhaps subsidising stop smoking aids, or something similar).

On a lighter note, some of the common sense may be returning to the government: http://news.aol.co.uk/uk-news/story/war-on-health-and-safety-culture/1308052?icid=mainuk-hpdl1link5http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fuk-news%2Fstory%2Fwar-on-health-and-safety-culture%2F1308052

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it genuinely is say, a thyroid problem or such, I dont think anyone will stop them getting the help they need. It's the whole 'you're fat because you don't go down teh gym' so here's some money to go down the gym that gets me.

But if it genuinely is found to be a gland issue, then they need whatever it is to get better, pounding the treadmills probably wont help as much as proper treatment.

Rach wrote:

On a lighter note, some of the common sense may be returning to the government: http://news.aol.co.uk/uk-news/story/war-on-health-and-safety-culture/1308052?icid=mainuk-hpdl1link5http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fuk-news%2Fstory%2Fwar-on-health-and-safety-culture%2F1308052

It's about time, the strange weird laws the last govt thought were a good idea ( Nanny State ) made them laughable.

Seems teachers will get actually get teh abilitiy to control their class better as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11458137
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about time the government saw common sense - the last government made it really difficult, especially for teachers. I am glad some of the rediculous laws (especially those which restrain teachers and make it much harder to do their job) are finally being scrutinised and hopefully repealed.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol:)

You can't bribe people to be healthly. It just wont work. If they want to loose weight, they'll have a greater chance of success. However, who's to say they wont fall about into their old ways once they have received teh reward?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: