Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Subzilla Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha,no I want my gauges to actually work and tell me something usefull.

I did get the tach hooked up will get pics tomorrow.

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so today I got the power locks to work on all the doors and fixed the switch on the pass side, gotta love super glue! Also pulled the radio out the blazer and stuck it in, only the 6x9's are hooked up right now and sound awsome if your in the 3 row seat. I think I am gonna throw in a lot of speakes, a 10" sub on each side all the way in the back, then 6x9's are by the 3rd row seat, next will be some 5 1/4's in the 2nd row doors or if 6x9's fit will put those in. Follow that up with some 5 1/4's in the front doors and some 3" or 4" in the dash which ever that size it and 2 tweeters in the center spot of the dash. Guess I will need 2 amps to run it all, one for the subs and one for the rest. Should be able to do it on the cheap.

Also cut a plate to cover the hole I cut to fix the gas tank, need to get some quick roof and start the interior in the back but got to decide on colors first so I know what carpet to get??

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warwgn wrote:

so today I got the power locks to work on all the doors and fixed the switch on the pass side, gotta love super glue! Also pulled the radio out the blazer and stuck it in, only the 6x9's are hooked up right now and sound awsome if your in the 3 row seat. I think I am gonna throw in a lot of speakes, a 10" sub on each side all the way in the back, then 6x9's are by the 3rd row seat, next will be some 5 1/4's in the 2nd row doors or if 6x9's fit will put those in. Follow that up with some 5 1/4's in the front doors and some 3" or 4" in the dash which ever that size it and 2 tweeters in the center spot of the dash. Guess I will need 2 amps to run it all, one for the subs and one for the rest. Should be able to do it on the cheap.

I'm now just waiting for the 'so I need a new alternator', maybe the front heated seats weren't a good idea after all.

Carpet... what colour is the headlining? - I always liked the idea of an all black interior... though in summer that perhaps wasn't a good idea, unless you're going some form of screen tinting?
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has a 95AMP alternator in it now, but I am going dual batteries, actually should be doing that real soon. Still will need the controller to manage the charging of them both. But yeah basacilly all the radio ond junk will run off one battery and the lights and stuff will run off the other.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the water and trans temp gauges put in the dash, even managed to solder new connections and the oil pressure still works, the volt meter.....not so much. Gotta work that later. Fuel guage installed and hooked up, still need to adjust the sending unit. I also got me some pioneer 6.5" 180 watt 2 way speakers put in the front doors and hooked up, sounds good enough with the crappy $50 wal mart radio. While I was getting parts I picked up a break controler to install tomorrow so I can pull the camper or my buddies 20' enclosed trailer. Hope that installs easy!

And to top it off pulled the wooden center console out the blazer and got it in the burd too, so now I got cup holders and somewhere to put more stuff. Prolly put the glove box in soon too. Seems like I got a lot done today, but the list goes on........

the pics

new gauge cluster, with fuel level installed, the rest will be air fuel ration and voltmeter

the console

new speakers

you can see the other one in the console pic.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fuel gauge is hoooge!

2nd picture down to the right of the speedo.

You have no excuse to not see it Very Happy

Love the cup holder ( which currently holds 2 cans ) Very Happy
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha, yeah that is the stock fuel guage, I aint gonna be keeping that, the pic below that one is the new fuel gauge that will be staying.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the box just behind the drinks holder...

You able to turn that into a mini fridge Very Happy

Keep your cans cool Very Happy

Just don't store alcohol there and you'll be fine Very Happy
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So got the thermostat swapped out to a 195 degree and while I was at it figured I would snap a few pics of the batteries and my center console that I pimped out a little.

Painted and added a cup holder in the back for the kids.

and here is where I stuck the brake controler, make it easy to reach and adjust.

that's about it for today.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!!went for a little 192 mile drive today to proof it out, first the bad, I am gonna put the 180 t-stat back in it with the 195 in there it runs a dead on 210 degrees and never moves. Once I put the camper behind it I think it will get to hot. Still gotta think about it but something is just not exactly right about the cooling system.

Everything else was fine, and the best part I got 13.9 Mpg on this little cruise through the mountians of Durango Co. I was worried cause just before that I was gettin 6.3 Mpg around town!! I do still got to figure the sending unit out, it just wont read right, got down to a 1/4 tank but only held 13.8 gallons to fill it up? that just dont add up on a 40 Gallon tank!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am ready to hear it! But got a quote on a custom aluminum fuel tank, new sending unit, all set up for my in tank pump with a sump for the pump and should hold 65 gallons or just a little over. now that is all new ready for the burban and get's me exaclty what I want, cost will come in at right at $800.00 shipped to my door. So what ya think am I crazy or what? I feel crazy but I am gonna do it anyway, worst part is I gotta drop the tank again so I can get exact measurements and locations for mounting brackets to the frame. I think I am gonna build a cardboard mock up and send that to them so they can get it excatly how I want it.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 65 gallon tank at 13.9 mpg comes out at a range of 905 miles.

Using http://www.newmexicogasprices.com/

That looks like $2.44 ( being the cheapest I can see with a quick scan ) per gallon so $158.60 to fill 'er up.

A 40 gallon tank at 13.9 mpg gives you a range of 556 miles and will cost $97.60 to fill up.

Giving you an extended range of 349 miles and will cost an extra $61 dollars to fill up.

You really need those extra 25 gallons :S

Let me be the first to say it. I think you're mad...

Footnote for aalpha - I'm not doing the numbers with UK prices Razz

But if you want to, here are prices *per litre*

There are 4 litres in a gallon

http://www.petrolprices.com/
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhh! But what your not factoring in is when pulling a fully loaded camper or 13,000 lbs my fuel milage will drop to around 8-10 MPG so around 480-600 miles to a tank of gas. Now driving aroung the us like I do the price of fuel can range from 2.34-3.84 a gallon. Having the extended range means I can look up where the cheapest fuel is and plan ahead to get gas there which could save me $40 to $60 or more per tank when I am on vacation.

Also there are times when I go camping and fishing and hunting and stuff and have to go way back into the woods, and it really sucks when you have to drive all the way back to town in the middle of a trip just to get fuel.

Another factor is when at home I can buy fuel when it is at it's cheapest and drive for a full month or more before I need to fuel up again, so I have the chance to shop around for cheap prices.

so yes you could say it cost to much to fill it up, but it still gets the same gas milage and will use the same amount of fuel, but I dont have to fill up as often either, so it really does not cost any extra at all.

But thanks for the break down on it, exellent work!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a recent trip in the suburban and not being happy with how it performed I have decided to have a new engine built that will tow like mad. The current 454 (7.4 Liter) is a factory engine and not rated at much power, found out it is only 230 Hp and 425 Ft Lbs of torque, that is just not enough I found out, at first I thought it would be ok but was just wrong.
Now the plan is to start over with a whole new block, well an old new block, going back to a mark IV block which has thicker cylinder walls. I will go with a stroker crankshaft and bore it out .060” over stock to bring the total displacement to 496 (8.1 Liter) and this along with raising the compression up to 10.5:1 will net me a 425 Hp and 540 Ft Lbs at 2800 RPM torque monster that will get the same fuel mileage I get now, possibly better since the power to weight ratio is closer. The main point is I will be able to pull my camper or anything for that matter with ease.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So money is moving around in my off shore accounts and slowly heading my way, should have it in my hands by the 15th or before. So on Nov 15th I will take my check book and head to my engine builder to put the deposit down and start the 496 in motion. My guess is he will order the stuff, an get it before thanksgiving maybe, then has to send it out to get blueprinted and balanced while he machines the block and heads and does the 5 angle valve job. Then he has to build up the long block, pull the Mark 5 out strip all my goodies off of it and put them on and stab it back in the burban. So all up it's lookin lik around Dec 15th or so before you get a video of the 33's getting roasted!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: