Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Facebook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Facebook Reply with quote

This took me a freakin' age to think of. I never did like this forum and now it stings me in the (perfectly formed) backside.

Quite simply, there has to be "a deal" with Facebook. I mean, these people have access to tons of data about you, whether you've joined or not. Then when you factor in the high-level algorithms people are creating these days, it's likely that Facebook could probably tell you if you're falling in love with someone before you even know about it.

On this note, what is the deal with Facebook? They make tons of cash through targeted advertising, granted. However, they also make a huge loss on photos simply to keep you on the website. Overall, yes, their profits are huge but they could undoubtedly be more efficient.

The best conspiracy I've ever heard is that Facebook is a secret database being collaborated by the world's governments which will be the most detailed profile of anyone. The nutjob who shared this "secret" with me also made it abundantly clear that if I decided to join the military, "the enemy" would access this database and they'd know precisely how to take me out.

Fun times. Thoughts? Alternatively, funny conspiracy stories are appreciated too. Try and keep the topic strictly Facebook though.

~ AVARiCE
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should make a post here.... ....This is obviously Minty Bait

Av?

Nobody cares.

I was pointing the whole datawarehousing thing with facebook years ago. I remember having a conversation with Erebus ( yeah, that's how *ahead* I am of you on this )

I told him that the best way I could explain it was by first going here

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/internetguide

And scrolling down to the section entitled

'DATA COLLECTION AND ORGANIZATION'

I've been talking about the whole 'algorithm' pattern/data matching thing for ages. So long in fact that when people weren't saying anything on this topic, I moved off seeing facebookers as being intelligent and should be aware of things like indentity theft and to be aware of what you are saying pretty much to anyone. So I tried to make my point using various satirical articles, and suggested that people ought to just leave each other the fuck alone for five minutes

When that didn't seem to even get any responses, I decided to to resort to their own idiotic sense of 'fashion' and tried to point out why in teh playground sense of 'why do you want to hang out with them? uuuggghhh you hang around with them' by pointing out why failbook is fail and if you use it, you're part of that demographic.

http://wwwarea51newmex.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=6248

That, depsite being full of logical inconsistences seemed to of worked.

Helen pointed out the website http://pleaserobme.com/

I find this post of yours an immitation of what i've been saying for a while and so not deserving of an Avarice Award for innovation, please raise your game.

I think i'm the only one on here who doesn't have a facebook account, so you're also being hypocritical.

I'm going to cheer myself up with an XKCD http://xkcd.com/792/

Though please do continue on the whole governmental angle, that also sounds funny for 5 minutes.
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't MintyBait, was "Get people postan' again" bait. Dammit, what's with you and the tl;dr's??

I use Facebook, I'm not on a crusade against it. I'm merely asking what I'm asking. No subplots, no hidden meaning.

~ AVARiCE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Aliens & Conspiracies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: