Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Subzilla Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked it up today!! The baattery had to be swapped over to my spare, the timing still aint right, and the oil needs to be changed. I had to pay $1000.00 more so the total out the door was 4k.

It has a bad flat spot, and need some serious tuning, but it does run great cruising down the road. I got some weird noise under a load, almost like the fan is hitting the shroud, but it's not that sounds like it coming from the back of the engine somewhere?? Oh well I will figure it out tomorrow and see waht id goin on. Wouldnt say I was happy yet, but glad it's back in my hands, will make a video and pics tomorrow.

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well seems to have all the same issues as befor with a few new ones.

Vacum is low and erratic, and the small miss is still there can hear just barely. In addition there seems to ba huge vacum leak somewhere, the battery went bad, the odd noise coming from the tranny or converter or flexplate when you put it under a load. and it seems the trany lins got into the drive shaft and one is ready to break.

So I tried setting the timing but havent drove it yet due to the tranny line issue. I set it at 10 degrees, then backed the vacum advance down to 14 degrees and is seemed a little better in the driveway. I tried adjusting the carb to idle it down, and it wont drop below 1k rpm, the A/F mixture screwes dont seem to have any effect either, can turn them in all the way and it still runs, it should die if I do that. So yeah got a few problems to sort out now. I do still think the engine is good and can be awesome after i get through all the other issues.

To top it off it's colder than shit here so jut misrable to try and work on it. My main concern is the tranny noise?? Dont understand that one at all, it did not do that before so I am at a loss as to how he could have made this start??

Just pissed off now and frustrated, got to stop and chill for a day or two and start back on it easy like. Will start with the trans lines and go from there.

guess I better load some pics and stuff huh!

tranny lines all in the wrong place kinda hard to see but there is the smash

some video up next

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well while waiting for that to load.............

I patched the line and it still did it a little but decided to go drive it, not much power at all! (scary) but it sorta got better, then came home and tried to make the noise again and it didnt? well it spun both back tires and left some little divits to sit in but no noise, so wanna drive it again, go to back up and cant pull out of the 1" deep holes??? what the F, got out checked the trany fluid again and yep right where it's supposed to be. I get back in and manage to get back up finally and drive off for a longer drive, it seems ok but still no real power at all. I went down the highway running bout 65 and it is smooth as silk, when I mash it it speeds up no loud knocking noise and feels purdy good.

I get turned around and stand on it, shift to second still pulling good (not evil good) but pulling, then hit third and never let off. I watch the speedo go past 85 and keep going, and switch to the tach and watch it climb to 5500 rpm before I let off, and it was still pulling the same!! Prolly around 120-130 mph! I ease back down and oil press is still 60, temp is 185, trans temp is 155. Still seems good but dang I am starting to think it may be trans related??

oh here is the knocking under load.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next video is of the cam rumble, and tried to make the noise as above and it dies on me then cant get it started again.

Also the miss seems to have disappared? didnt recheck the vacum again, and plan to put the new battery and fix the crappy wiring, if that solves the starter issues then good if not, got to try and shim the starter or just buy a new one that is smaller but high torque! Havent heard any pinging but need to get gas so gonna throw in the 104 octane booster to see what that does. Also gonna order the mechanical fuel pump to, but will wait to see if I need a starter too so can order it all at once.

So to sum up I am lost on what the noise is, and it seems to have gone somewhat? The plug wires seem good now, but the timing and carb are not adjusted right I am sure of it. Much as I hate to think about it I might take it to another shop that has a sunpro computer to hook up to it and run some diognostics. Might even have it adjusted by someone if I can figure it out. I still think it has a big vacume leak causing issues so need to track that down first I guess.

ok well here is the last video of the day

and I guess it has a posi by the looks of the divits!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so cant find the battery cables I want to fix the starting issues. So I just ordered 20' of 2 AWG in red and 20' in black, a hammer crimper, 5 copper lugs of each of these terminal sizes, 1/4, 5/16,3/8, and 1/2. Now just gotta get these 5 bucks for a set at the local Big R hardware. Then still need to get a solenoid and relay, and switch to hook up the dual battery set up.

or I might get this [URL="http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-40102/"]http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-40102/[/URL] I think I can put the parts together for cheaper than that maybe. The main thing is I want to be able to flip the switch and apply full power of both batteries to the starter when it is hella cold and make it start easy. Guess I should get a better starter too, but that will come later, main thing I want for now is to get all my electrical mess sorted out once and for all. Then get to the rest.

Also got the new mechanical fuel pump on the way along with 25' of 3/8" stainless steel braided hose. Gonna replace all the tranny lines, cooler lines, filter lines and rubber fuel lines that I got running all around the place. I still need to sort out the new lines for the engine oil cooler too, but that is down the road a bit since I am not driving it anyway. I will start looking for any vacum leaks while I am cleaning up the wiring and painting the engine compartment. Just to much ugliness going on in there, that is prolly what it dont wanna run right, need to get all the half ass out and do it all correct!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figured I better throw in the starting of the project. more to come tomorrow.

what a mess!!

totally half ass on the positive side!!

lots of clutter and just ugly!

first step done!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little before and after!

that is all I had time to do, still got a lot left to go.

this side needs a lot of work

gonna hit the back too

thats all for today.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will look good when finished, hopefully you'll come across what the noise is during some other renovation.

Despite wanting to teach myself more, I lacked the engine hoist to pull an engine out and take it apart to see how it works, but the noise ( first video ) sounded like tappet rattle but you saying it's coming from the tranny rules that out.

Hope you find it soon all the best
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get it sorted soon don't worry.

in the mean time I got the trans lines run. I like it, still need to tie them up but here they are.

also got my cable and a few other goodies, but no 2 AWG crimper yet so cant put them in till that shows up.

new crimper, also does ingnition wires witht the extra die.

extra die

gonna be getting serious with the wiring from now on.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaned up one side and made two battery cables so far, will get the rest of the pics up later. I didn't get much time to work on it only had 3 days off and really good weather and a pregnant wife, you do the math!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so got the cables made or at least 3 of them

here is the crimper, smaller than I thought it would be but works like a champ

the main bttery positive and neg cables. The long sleeving on the pos cable is the starter solenoid side.

and the main pos battery cable to dual charge solenoid that will be on the driver side fenderwell, it will run through core support in front of radiator then back in on the other side.

I sealed up the ends with some thick adhesive lined shrink tube, the glue will keep all the wet and stuff out.

so just got to make the aux battery pos to remote solenoid cable and the aux gnd cable, then still have a lot of other wiring to replace and upgrade. After all that get done future plans are relays for the headlights to hook them directy to the battery and run 10GA pos and gnd off the aux battery into the cab for radio, inverter, tv's and what ever else I might decide to rig up.

hope to start putting cables in tomorrow but it's supposed to be snowing tomorrow and cold so might not get to it until later in the week, but when I do will post up some pics as usual.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here is the update of what is going on. all the wiring so far!

been sitting here since I got it home in January.

some inside shots of storage and parts and junk that is in process and never put back in the tool shed.

the engine compartment with stuff just hanging everywhere!

and what I did today, tore the dash out and the cruise control and made a point of no return decision and cut off the OEM connector for the instrument panel.

and the vacume line and wires for the cruise control

inside the black box of the cruise control brain

So as you can see I got a long way to go to finish up my wiring project!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a little more done in the engine bay!

and got the auxilary battey cable mostly in place.

Still got a long ways to go and need to get some 5/32 vacum hose and more ring terminals and a few in line fuses.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked up a few goodies for tomorrow!

got some 10AWG wire to so I can make a new charging system, the fuseable links are history and I am simplfying the harness too. Going with 30A circut breakers to regulate power and a few relays for accessories. Once I get it figured out I will tell you what I did and post up the pics too.

just read this, the wire in the pic is all 16AWG for inside the cab, got the 10AWG yesterday no pic of that.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still loving this,

I'm starting to see the various things come together.

Ok, you know how you see big explosions happen in action films? Where you see buildings explode?

Ok, imagine watching that in reverse to end up back at the modest sized building. It's like that, i'm starting to see all the bits come together Very Happy

Still love that oversized fuel gauge! If you ever post on here that you ran out, I will laugh at you Laughing

Think it's kinda funny how your engine bay looks cleaner than the interior at the moment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: