Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Buying Music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Buying Music Reply with quote

When was the last time you actually bought a 'hard-copy' (e.g. a CD) piece of music?

I read a while ago that alot of music shops were struggling as people are downloading their music rather than buying the actual album. So it got me thinking that I too am guilty of this.

The last album I bought was Florence & the Machine 'Lung' (bloody good too!) which was at least a year ago. Also our Minty bought me a CD of a band called 'Hellyeah' (as it sounds like my nickname:) ) for my birthday last year.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immersion by Pendulum late last year.
I heard Watercolour on Youtube and thought I would like to hear more of this bands music.

Last time I set foot into HMV in Lincoln ( are they still there ? ) I thought 'woah! that's expensive! i'm sure Play or Amazon can do it cheaper.

I prefer 'hard copies' of music and data as i'm fully aware that hard drives have and do die. So I like to see that if it went I can just restore things with out much trouble.
alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy hard copies of music as we oftenly do discos. All our music is backed up on a hard drive that we use when doing discos but yeh lke Minty said hard drives can die...so having a hard copy suit me good Smile

I don't actually think I have ever downloaded or song or album from the internet but I do order music cds from Play or Amazon.
stalker
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever buy CDs as presents for other people - don't think I have bought one for myself in years now.

HMV is a rip off, can't see them surviving much longer against supermarkets/play/amazon etc for those who want physical CDs..

I'm happy having all my music electronic (have purchased mainly from iTunes or amazon's download service) - not too worried about it being virtual as it is all backed up...
Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last cd i bought...hrmmm....im not going to include the soundtracks that came with the collectors edition of wow because that wasnt the reason i bought the game....but thats the first thing that comes to mind. I think the last cd i bought was the beavis and butthead experience from mtv.com and that was at least 3 years ago
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last CD I bought was since I joined the forum. I heard a song on the radio and could not find the artist or the song in the usual places - Russian music sites, iTunes, etc. I found the CD on Amazon so I bought it.

It was Wildflower by Skylark. (song and CD bore the same name) There were 12 or 14 songs on the CD and they all so totally completely sucked it explained why the one good song was so hard to find.

AHH, I just checked. It was added to my iTunes library 2nov05. So there.

Oh by the way - When did Minty snazz up his online name? And shouldn't we be calling him Lami now instead of Minty?

Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still buy CDs to support artists that I really care about. I don't download music, I am still technologically behind I guess, but I just prefer having the physical copy (I am the same with books - I much prefer having the actual book in my hand rather than reading an ebook on my computer). They don't put as much in sleeve notes as they used to but they can still be interesting. Plus, sometimes I manage to get them signed by the artist, there's something you can't do with an electronic copy.

Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rach wrote:
I still buy CDs to support artists that I really care about. I don't download music, I am still technologically behind I guess, but I just prefer having the physical copy (I am the same with books - I much prefer having the actual book in my hand rather than reading an ebook on my computer). They don't put as much in sleeve notes as they used to but they can still be interesting. Plus, sometimes I manage to get them signed by the artist, there's something you can't do with an electronic copy.

the artist gets almost none of the money from the cds. most of it comes from touring. digital downloads are still paid and go to the same people and it costs them less money to produce. i do agree with the signing thing though Smile
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, but the artist gets more of the money than if I were to illegally download the song. A fair few of the artists whose music I buy are involved in their production too. I don't really buy mainstream music where most of the money goes to huge music corporations. Plus the artists whose cds I buy, I go to tour dates for - for example, the last 2 cds I bought were of artists I went to see, I bought the cds at the gig. Actually come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I bought a cd not at a gig or festival...

Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh ok i gotcha that does make more sense. a lot more. (the non mainstream, not the illegal downloading part becasue that should never happen anyways)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: