Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in

Bookmark this site!
Geek Questionnaire! have your say!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miaellesse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Geek Questionnaire! have your say! Reply with quote

ARE YOU A GEEK?[b]

I'm writing an arcticle about geeks and need your feedback! I need you guys to tell me about how you are fans/ interested in Sci-fi.

Name:

Why do you enjoy Sci-Fi?

Do you collect props/iteam of memorabilia?

What are youir hobbies?

What do you do in your free time?

What films do you like?

Do you travel to go to Sci-fi conventions/ movie sets?

What are Sci-fi conventions actually like?

Do you cost play?

Does your work? What is your education status?

Do you friends/family share the same interests?

What is your personality?

Have you ever felt abnormal because of your beliefs/likes?

Do you think the label GEEK is justified?

and anything else you want to add... (experienses)

Thank you very much, my name is Mia and my email is miaellesse@hotmail.com if you want to contact me privately with your say.
Smile
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Geek Questionnaire! have your say! Reply with quote

As well as taking the geek test when you've done with us? Very Happy

http://www.innergeek.us/

This could perhaps be written better I think, maybe later i'll return to it.

UK

Why do you enjoy Sci-Fi?
I believe it's because I always had quite an active imagination as a child. I used to enjoy junk modelling and one of the many things i'd end up building were usually robots or spaceships.

I always seemed to have a drive to understand things, once I had discovered how something worked it had nothing left to offer as the goal of understanding had been reached. Things that I would have to work at far more to understand were more attractive. The theoretical aspects of things such as 'the science of space flight' served much more interesting purposes.

The only stories that really contained complex elements I decided were contained in sci-fi.

That last sentence isn't holistically correct, but to avoid making this answer longer i'll leave the interpretation up to you.

Not really. I have a Galileo thermometer and other 'geeky' things but I haven't collected anything specific to anything.

What are youir hobbies?

Reading, Orbiter, Films, computers other things i've probably forgotten about but no doubt will remember once I click post.

What films do you like?

Neverending Story, Princess Bride, Spaceballs, War Games, Short Circuit, 2001 A Space Odyssey ( it has been nominated for a few awards ), the 1979 pilot film for Battlestar Galactica and Flight Of Dragons.

I'm sure there's more.

No

Wouldn't know as I haven't been to one, I know someone who has been to a Trekkie convention. He got scanned by a tricorder.

I would like to go to a GenCon or a Blizz Con.

Do you cost play?

as in this ?

No, i'd feel 'exposed' if I was dressed in a costume like I would feel self conscious. I went to a Rocky Horror night once I had to walk through town dressed up, I started to feel better as I got closer to the theatre as more and more people were dressed like me, as I got even closer I started to feel under dressed. Only time i've done it though.

No, my work does not involve me dressing up in costume. Education status, i'd say goes as far as college, but that was only because I wanted to stall for time while I figured out what job I wanted to do.

All my family are 'normals'. I've had better luck with friends however.

Best answer I can give is here
http://wwwarea51newmex.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=6557

Different from the norm? depends. Put me in a room of people who all share the same interests then put someone 'normal' in that room and it is they who would be abnormal.
Could this perhaps be related to the people I chose as friends? I gravitated towards people who had the same outlook. Depends what you used as your point of reference.

Justified in what way?
Again, while it may be considered to be someone who is socially inept by society, it's seen as a source of pride amongst those who think of themselves as such.
Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location/country: Las Vegas, NV. USA

Why do you enjoy Sci-Fi?
I like it because it is interesting in the way that it may be fistion, but at the same time it's science and some things actually become a reality while others are cool (and still might become possible)

I don't on a normal basis, but I do have the collectors edition of Start Trek Online that came with a com badge Razz

What are youir hobbies?
Workin on computers, playing loud music, and driving fast cars

What do you do in your free time?
Work on computers, play loud music, watch movies, hang out with friends, play with my kids, and work on my van

What films do you like?
I like loads of films. Grease, Short Circuit, Star Trek (All 11 of them), Kiss of the Dragon, IP Man, Battlefield Earth, (I could keep going, but I'm not really interested nor do I have the time to see if this post has a character limit)

No I don't, though I've always thought it might be fun to go to one, and we get a lot of conventions coming through Las Vegas.

Not sure, never been

Do you cost play?
Sure don't. I've played a couple tabletops and been to rocky horror once or twice, but thats the extent of it.

No my work doesn't cosplay. I have a GED and some college (Business Administration)

My friends do, my family doesnt

Just an easy going guy

Never (I don't like the term normal anyways; its all perception)

I like the word geek just fine. I like to to think of myself as one, but still have a long way to go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Help Me!! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: