Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Subzilla Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, and I like the way you put it!

and sadly yes the engine bay does look better, but got to get it running perfect before I start the inside.

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok didnt make a lot of progress but got the input power for the fuse block and the controls wires for the alternator and distributor and Tach all hooked up.

back side of the fuse panel all tidy now

view along the top just above the brake booster, you can see the junction block sorta.

dist and tach feeds

far side view, but as usual still got a long way to go. Might get the breaker and batter feed hooked up tomorrow.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some more done, mounted the circut breaker and hooked up the battery to it and the junction block, also got the power wire run from the alternator to the battery. No pics of that stuff though cause is is all laying loose and ugly, I need to put the mechanical fuel pump on so I can ditch the electric pump wiring. But wouldnt ya know it the rod for the pump is in the other truck which my wife took to work so that put a damper on the progress! I would just ditch the wiring now but want to use the electric pump to prime the mechanical pump and fill all the lines before I take it all out.

So had a hour or so of light left but what to do?? Go to the inside for a while!!

had to take the seat out

I know there are wires under there too!

and they are ugly too!

little better now

there we go much better now, all ready for the "quick roof" treatment!

still got all the rest to do up behind the dash but a lot better than this!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the pump rod in the burb before I left for work so was able to get it mounted up today.

oh how shiney!

all bolted up

braided lines in place and primed up with gas, even kept the pressure gauge.

whle I was in there I went ahead and snapped a pic of the circut breaker.

hmm what will be next?? More wiring I guess.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the source of the noise from a while back, remember it was coming from the flexplate? I was right it was from that, but it aint cracked and the bolts arent loose either, it was from a fat weld!

so how does that make noise you ask? It hits the starter!

that explains why it's only under load, the pressure on the torque converter forces the flexplate forward and the weld rubs the starter! The funny thing is the starter I had on there that crapped out on me is relieved to eliminate this, so all I got to do is machine the starter to somewhat match the other and problem solved.

why not just grind the weld down you say? because it is externaly balanced and if you remember it was all ballanced to 7500 RPM so would rather just leave it like it is.

old starter and current starter, these got swapped around when I put the 454 in and took the 350 out so not sure if there is a difference between small block and big block starters but there two are different.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so got the grinding done!

also did a little work on the driver side

and now that the starter is bolted up and the battery cable hooked up I got the final resting place for the battery and 2GA cables set in stone.

and yes I painted the starter before I put it in........

you know how I dooze it!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked on the interior today and took out the seats and carpet, got em all out, and I tell you the middle row had a crap load of bolt holding it all in.

Had help from my 10yr old daughter.

always one bolt that just wont come out, it even broke my T47 bit!! It will come out at a later date!

even took out the dash pad.

got it cleaned up real easy too.

I figured out the trick to getting all the tar and crap off the floor, I have heard all kinds of tricks in the past of wire wheels and chemicals and putty knives. But I found the easiest way yet...........

a pack of kids that want popcicles!!!

I am a genius!!!

So will get on to some sanding and painting of the dash metal tomorrow.

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy moly!!! She's 10 now??? I think she's faster than you, hahahaha Laughing Laughing Razz Razz

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, you know your right I didnt relaize it but I have posting on this site for 5 years now! And yep Zoey was only 5 when I first came here........that is just crazy!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so after sleeping on it and thinking about it, I am not gonna be able to put the interior back together for a while!! I want to put the 3rd row seat out of a 00-06 suburban in it so it will have intergrated seatbelt with shoulder belt, and that means cutting and welding in new brackets so it will still be removeable. Same goes for all the seats really which means I cant really put the quick roof down since I am not really sure what or where the new mounting points will be.

As for doing the rear side panels and wheel wells, I got to put a hold on that too! Need to get the rear A/C stuff, and 3rd row seat installed first so I know the correct dimensions for the speaker/tool/armrest/side panels that will be built to replace what I have now. The basic plan was since the new seat I want will not have arm rests I will extend the side panels out to the edge of the wheel wells at armrest height and also just forward of the wheels so the new 2nd row seats can still recline all the way. Then put cup holders in the new arm rests, and run that width all the way to the back doors and put my subs in there, and doors for tools and tow straps and chains and hide an AMP in there somewhere and prolly a couple 110 outlets and two 12v accesory plugs. Oh hell also need to get the overhead TV's mounted and run the wiring.......crap I do have a lot to do.

Anyway the point is I will put the front seats back in and the 3rd row seat back in but no carpet or heat/sound proofing. I cant even do the roof yet untill I put in the rear A/C...well I can put the quick roof up there, that should help some.......Hmmmm maybe just go ahead and put all the quick roof in the front, the only thing I need to do up there is drill holes for new mounting bolts, should not need to do any welding of bracket like in the rear.

it just sucks when you dont have the cash to do it all at once, I am sure I will need to re-do something when I get going......just like my wiring now!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a little more done so I can try and button it up enough to start tomorrow maybe. Had to pull the electric pump out of the tank and the old one back in, could not find the old power connector so had to break out the soldering iron but got it in and it even works!

ha ha all thr RTV that seals the access panel I cut a while back, got that put back on to but no pics.

while I was cleaning up the wiring I though why not throw up the instrument panel as a quick teaser!

need to get back to work on that again soon.

and alas the inside does not stay empty long when you dont have a garage!!

so tomorrow I need to pull the external electric pump, redo the fuel lines at the tank, connect the 12V ignition wire to the starter solenoid, mount the 12V keyed power relay, solder the choke wire to the connector, hook up keyed power to the engine compartment, connect all the vacume lines, hook up the plug wires, put the air cleaner back on..........aaaggggghhhhhhhh I cant remember what else............god having a pregnant wife is so fkn annoying.........right in the middle of typeing this she calls me and wants me to bring her dinner at work and eat with her. I hate that shit, trying to work on the truck hands are all nasty, already told her I was gonna bring her lunch tomorrow, but no she wants something now. See what it's like when you try to be nice!!

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todays events!

now you see me

now you don't

Yep got all the electric fuel pumps off and the lines run nice and neat. Got some other stuff done too.

warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tryed again today with not much luck. Adjusted the A/F with no results, but it sure seems to be something with the primary butterfly, as seen in the video if I close it off some it acts way better?? And I am still not happy with the timing either something just aint right. Had to button it up enough to go for a test drive and it pops on the top end a little. Still must be way to rich or too lean not sure which will need to pull the plug and see what I got.

well while I was at it I had to put the grill back in to hold the turn signals up.

and decided to try out the new color paint on the headlight bezels, and I really like the color too, metalic charcoal grey.

primed up

just imagine the truck metalic black with a metalic charcoal stripes down the sides where it is tan now. Then the interior will be the same metalic charcoal on all the metal, and trying to decide on the rest. Anyway I like this color, the pics just dont do it justice.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much to say! - i've been away for a bit so much to catch up on, though I have to comment on this picture

Warwgn wrote:

worked on the interior today and took out the seats and carpet, got em all out, and I tell you the middle row had a crap load of bolt holding it all in.

Had help from my 10yr old daughter.

You can see your legs and feet in the lower right hand corner of the picture. The angle of your legs suggest you were kinda laid back relaxing, perhaps drinking a cold one while watching your daughter get on with it Very Happy

You've done so much since I last checked in Shocked
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yepyou guess it, was sitting in the 3rd row seat relaxing and drinking a beer! Very good observation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: