Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Nuclear Power?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Nuclear Power? Reply with quote

Nuclear Power stations have been in the news a lot recently.

So I've been thinking (as I'm sure a lot of people) if nuclear power is such a great idea. As long as it doesn't leak, it's more efficent and less Polluting than coal. But that's as long as it doesn't leak or blow up.

What do you reckon? Should we continue to use nuclear power?

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't loose sight of the fact the reactors survived the earthquake, it was the tsunami that did the damage.

Once upon a time reactors had manual cooling thingies, people had to turn valves etc.

Like when you used to have to turn a crank to roll down a car window.

Then one day some smartass engineer said "D'oh!!! Let's make it all electric.!!"

Like now if your car ends up in the river with you in it guess what you need to get the window down so you can get out. A hammer!!

Some how it got by the smartest people in the room we might need to cool a reactor when no electric power is around.

So now the heads are thinking uhhhh, redundant systems? You think?? Like a car with electric AND mechanical window raiser uppers and lower downers.

How did a country on the Ring of FIre get completely surrounded by coastal nuclear plants anyway?

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
How did a country on the Ring of FIre get completely surrounded by coastal nuclear plants anyway?

I guess because they are a highly industrialised nation and therefore require a huge amount of power to substain that?

aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then let them glow in the dark. Just wire the cooling systems so the electronics lets go and allows manual operation when the power is gone.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be heavily interested in naval shipping from around the world and from that I read about incidents of nuclear reactors going through a SCRAM.

Also, nuclear reactors work differently to a nuclear bomb, so they don't explode as a nuclear bomb does anyway. The problem seems to be based more on public ignorance of highly complex matters that don't interest them. When the various governments run their investigations they will speak to proper advisors who will give proper reports stretching into many pages explaining the whole truth of what happened.

As you know, I do like visiting XKCD and he made a blog post about it all.

http://blog.xkcd.com/2011/03/19/radiation-chart/

Interesting.

Just because Japan has earthquakes isn't a good enough argument to put out a blanket ban on them the world over, because you know I don't ever remember a vendetta against every site a nuclear power station is from earthquakes.

Yeah, make sure they are safe but lets be reasonable, so of course we should continue.
aalpha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this reminds me of the public school's approach to peanut allergies. One kid in a class of 50 has an allergy which yes I know it's serious but not to the point the other 49 can't have a peanutbutter and jelly (or chocolate) samitch. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Current Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: