Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
My first new topic in a year probably

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: My first new topic in a year probably Reply with quote

We have a consumer advocate guru here in the states named Clark Howard. He is the el supreemo poster boy of penny pinching miserly tight-waddedness.

A couple of years or so ago I heard him on the radio telling about some guy who called in on his radio show. The caller is a metallurgist and he claimed that the act of shaving your face does not dull a razor blade. Legs and armpits for you girls.

What dulls the blade is corrosion. Pure and simple. And the cause of corrosion is leaving the razor wet. So he claimed to have made a small fan that would blow dry the razor and thus almost eliminate corrosion.

Well I waited for the million dollar gadget to hit the market but it never came. I found a web site that touted a razor dryer for a particular brand of ladies razor but there was no way to order it.

It looked like a test page that never was finished and left "out there" or something.

So by and by I thought "we *are* talking about moving air over, through and around a hand held razor, right?"

So why pay $19.95 for something I already have fans galore to do?

Did you ever wonder where the word "so" came from? It's so convenient. Seeeeeee???

So I got out a razor someone gave me once upon a time - one of those fancy five blade Fusion razors and I started shaving with it. And I religiously put that razor in front of a fan immediately after shaving.

I have been using that one razor head since Aug 25th 2009. Yes I have and it still shaves like a new blade; 1 year, 2 months, and 18 days.

Those are 2 small buckets, a round one and a more or less square one that make a perfect slot to firmly hold the razor upright.

Well what do you think of that?

Last edited by aalpha on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Vagilik
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha! very nice. whatever works. whoulda thunk it? gonna have to give that a shot since razor refills are so expensive. probably save at leat 100 bux a year.
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a man and learn how to shave with a cutthroat razor.

http://www.shaving-shack.com/how-to-use-a-straight-cut-throat-razor.html

Chains and hooks eh aalpha... hmm... you sure there's something you're not letting on to us?
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very, very cool. On every forum there's one or two guys who actually "do" stuff. warwgn and aalphie-poo are ours.

~ AVARiCE

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Chains and hooks. I guess yer browser doesn't show you the word fern? Hmmmmm? As in that's what hangs on the chains and hooks not who owns them. Rolling Eyes

aalpha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this thread is quickly becoming a "Pictures Board" candidate but I'm going to leave it here.

I'm about 2 weeks early but if the blades don't fall out (and they just might) I'm confident I'll reach the 2 year mark.

And I've got some kitty update pix and flix also.

First the razor. I started using this razor 25aug09. Please see the opening post for the details.

As mentioned above, the green strip that turns white to let you know the head needs replacing turned white and the thingy the green color was on came off eons ago.

Now more recently (June-ish) the little rubber thingy that must be a cushion came off. That was a bit of a surprise but here you see the diffs.

I'm thinking I might should retire this blade or head since it's 5 blades. If the thing did fall apart while I was shaving it just might hurt.

Talk about stupid ways to die --- "Man Dies When His Two Year Old Razor Fell Apart And Cut His Throat."

Anyway, I found out the fan I was using had a major fire hazard in the wiring so now I'm using a smaller and more convenient fan. I think I got this fan in April or so.

I just played my video in preview mode and I think I need to edit some stuff. What does the 700 Club have to do with drying a razor?!?!?

Oh well, at any rate the razor is now 2 years old and still sharp. Saturday we had a nice break from the heat. Here's a couple of videos and kitty stuffs.

In this last video I tried to remember an old forum member, an Admin in fact and I was trying to make one guys name and another guy's email addy one individual. You old timers will hear the gaff - it's a hoot. My apologies to Iceman and whufc88, that is Tom Hart and tone_whitey.

Next is a scene from my "cross town cats" Artemis and Houdini. There's a new orange colored tabby beginning to hang around.

He eats the kibbles I leave but he still runs from me too. No pics of him yet but food will open doors and build bridges eventually.

Anyway these two routinely hop up over my lap and get on the passenger seat and expect an appetizer of kibbles before the main course. What gets my goat is that after they eat I can't get within ten feet of them. They act like I'm a ne'er do well with malice in mind.

And lastly, a couple of Roswell pics. Sorry about the size. I went in to Photobucket and resized the pix but they still show up here wider than I prefer. I'll have to post more pics to get my grove back or whatever.

In the video above Roz is too nervous to stay on the porch so when I got up to go get some coffee and kibbles I stuck my camera in the hole leading under the porch and shot willy-nilly. There she was. One of these days something nasty is going to grab my arm. . . .

Here's a couple of older pix I pulled at random.

Roz just does not have much patience with cameras, even if they don't flash. Have you ever seen such eyes?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in here expecting something about Mozilla Firefox. Glad you still are carrying on with the razor experiment Very Happy

How much did you use to spend on razors a year?
How much did you spend on electricity before and after running this fan? ( don't forget to factor in he cost of buying the replacement fans and spreading that across the year Very Happy )

You can then work out the saving you've incurred. I just wonder if this shaves much off Very Happy

Sorry, bad joke and a long winded way of getting to the punchline Very Happy
aalpha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pack of 4 new razor heads is 12 to 14 dollars. I can't remember how long razors normally last but the fan was between 7 and 8 dollars. I doubt if I can calculate the cost of electricity but it must be near negligible. The AC is the power monster.

If I stop using this razor on 25aug and only use the 4 replacements I have 2 years each it will be 10 years before I need new ones. Even then I could put them on a Christmas list somewhere and they'd be free.

I may start doing that this year and start stock piling them now. In a few years I may have enough to last the rest of my life. And if you say I prob don't have 10 years left I'll put a southern curse on all your keyboards. Razz

what I'm doing is the way to go. Of course if the whole world follows my lead, no one will make blades in a few years and we'll all either have to grow beards or use electric razors.

Imagine the workers who make blades now, loosing their job and they go to a free seminar on how to make unemployment money go further and the knot head at the front of the room says "one last tip for those of you who shave, you can blow dry your razor. . . . .

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: