Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Photography

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shangas
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Photography Reply with quote

Since I was here last, I've taken a small interest in photography. I wouldn't say it's a big hobby with me, but it is a hobby, nonetheless.

With your permission, I'll share some of my photographs...

"When in addition, I see a Chinese coin hanging from your watch-chain..." (Sherlock Holmes).

Movement - 1918 Elgin Pocketwatch

Where the muse doth reside

A gentleman's bathroom

A Family Heirloom

Bye, Mah...

Happy to share more, if anyone's interested to see it.

- Capt. Louis Renault.

"Of all the gin-joints in all the towns in all the world!...She walks into mine."

- Richard Blaine.

"We might as well question why we breathe. If we stop breathing, we die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die."

- Victor Lazlow.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting a new hobby:)

I know Alienator is currently doing a photography course so many you can share tips?

Shangas
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from a professional photographer! Or even a student photographer.

Here's some other photos I took:

- Capt. Louis Renault.

"Of all the gin-joints in all the towns in all the world!...She walks into mine."

- Richard Blaine.

"We might as well question why we breathe. If we stop breathing, we die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die."

- Victor Lazlow.
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pictures look great. Keep it up! What kind of camera do you have? I have only just got used to mine - it took me ages to figure out what settings to use for what conditions to get the best possible photo.

I have only recently developed this interest in photography myself. As part of my course at uni (conservation of historic objects) we have to take lots of photos recording the object's condition before and after we treat it as well as pictures of any interesting things we come across or have to do during treatment.

As a result I now have hundreds of pictures to be sorting through over the summer! Perhaps I will post a few once I have sorted through and found the best ones to demonstrate what it is I do, if anyone is interested?

Shangas
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera I have at the moment is a very simple Canon PowerShot A495. It's certainly not the best camera, but it does what I want it to, and I've gotten some very nice shots out of it.

The Singer sewing-machine in the photo above was inherited from my recently-departed grandmother. She died last year at the age of 97. The coffin in that other photo contained her body. It was taken at the funeral. The big fellah standing over it is my cousin Gene, who was particularly close to gran.

Here's some more photographs:

This is Notre Dame Cathedral, in Paris. I took the photograph from across the streets. Shooting it through the trees was a deliberate action.

This was a quick-and-dirty shot from the middle of a bridge across the Seinne River in Paris. The building in the distance is Notre Dame, again.

Running through London on the way back to our hotel, I spotted this famous...MONUMENT...and took another quick and dirty shot.

Walking home from a night-tour of London, I passed St. Paul's Cathedral, and took that photograph.

My first-ever apple pie!...Hungry anyone? It actually turned out very well (the pie, not the photo!)

A photograph I took representing life in the 19th Century. Most of the things in that photo are antiques. They're all my personal possessions.

My cousins and I went walkabout. This picture is of an old convent. We were walking around the grounds at the time.

Yours Truly. I was on the way to the theater at the time.

- Capt. Louis Renault.

- Richard Blaine.

- Victor Lazlow.
alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I am doing a course at the moment. Im liking your pictures Smile What camera are you using? Its a great hobby to get into...my camera hardly ever leaves my side Smile
Shangas
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is mentioned in the last post I made. It's a Canon PowerShot A495.

More photos:

This is my 1920s tie-press. Handy for bowties (which I wear every now and then) and neckties (which I wear pretty often).

A beautiful pair of antique Edwardian cufflinks. 9kt gold.

Inside my pocketwatch! (The balance on the right is a bit blurry, but that's because the watch was running when I took this photo).

A photo doesn't have to be about something fancy to be pretty. This is a closeup shot of an antique key inside the lock that it operates. It opens and closes the lid of an old cutlery-chest that I'm currently re purposing for other uses.

My straight-razor and scuttle. And yes, I DO shave with it.

- Capt. Louis Renault.

- Richard Blaine.

- Victor Lazlow.
alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...yes and I read that...so why I asked again, I never know...doh!!

Im using a Nikon D5000
Shangas
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay. Photography has become something of a hobby with me. Nothing serious, but I do like taking the odd snapshot now and then when I see something really interesting.

...By the light,
Of the silvery moon,
I wanna spoon,
To my honey I'll croon love's tune...

- Capt. Louis Renault.

- Richard Blaine.

- Victor Lazlow.
alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats how it started out for me...just a hobby. The more photos I was taking the more and more I was getting into it. If your on facebook check out my photography page...

https://www.facebook.com/RMPhotographyy
Shangas
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this 1920s dress-watch at the flea-market for a song because it didn't work. Hoping to get it serviced and running sometime soon.

- Capt. Louis Renault.

- Richard Blaine.

- Victor Lazlow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Hobbies & Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: