Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Fosters, WTF?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Specter
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Fosters, WTF? Reply with quote

Whilst I was overseas I was staying with some family. As generous and accomodating as I could possibly want and then some. Part of thier attempts to make me feel welcome was to buy some beers, being a forthright household where softdrinks and crips where rarities, I am quite sure beer was equally uncommon, but for me, they made an exception.

The natural choice, or at least it would have seemed to them, was Fosters, which is (apparently) an Australian beer. A close family friend recently travelled to England and he too, was offered Fosters.

The things is, for as long as I have been old enough to notice bottle shops, and as confirmed by my dad, fosters hasnt really been sold here for over a decade. We dont drink it, For those that drink local it is mostly Carton, Tooheys or XXXX (but only in queensland, everywhere sensible thinks Four X is horrible), and most people I know would be much happier with an imported brew, Hienekin or Stella are actually popular choices despite Stella's reputation in its homeland.

So I guess what Im saying, on behalf of my kind, is if I am your dinner guest, dont waste money on Fosters to make me feel at home, I mean I'll still drink it, Im still an Australian after all and wont begrudge a free beer of any kind. But above all, make it a cold one.
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it from more than one source that Fosters is rather gross as is XXXX.

Fosters is brewed 'under licence' ( they can use the name Fosters ) by Courage Ltd http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courage_Brewery

This hasn't stopped the advertising companies here ( and perhaps elsewhere ) playing on the 'roots' of the lager. Think of it like the guy who's great great grandfather was Italian, so he opens a pizza place and markets himself as Italian despite being born in a different country and may not even speak much Italian if at all.

It's all evil evil marketing forces, just because it's not popular back home people in marketing ( who would never lie to you honest ) aren't going to let something like that ruin the story.

I guess you could say the same about the Walkabout chain ?

Anyway, enough of that you have a very fit hurdler in your Olympics team.
http://cosbysweaters.com/2012/07/18/michelle-jennekes-pre-race-routine-is-delightfully-sensual/
Well, that's what these sporting events are about aren't they? who's the fittest?

PS - Our weather tends to be miserable, we like a warm beer to warm us up and feel better at the same time ( because we're drinking )
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I'll try to remember that next time we have some Aussies over!

A note to Americans & Aussies - the stereotype of Brits drinking lots of time is true. Feed us constant a supply of tea when we come over and we'll be happy!

Specter
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand the justification behind not drinking cold beer on a bitter english night, I had my share of winter house parties, thats why we have stubby holders:
http://www.abalone.net.au/images/02_can_cooler_enlarged.jpg

But if it is truely too cold for cold beer, why not a nicely warmed rusty nail (scotch and drambuie) or somthing?

I did notice the tea thing though, I'll be sure to stock up if I am ever entertaining a pom.
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamiaceae wrote:
PS - Our weather tends to be miserable, we like a warm beer to warm us up and feel better at the same time ( because we're drinking )

not lager though.. warm lager is just ewwww Smile ice cold please Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: