Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Evolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which happened
we evolved
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
God created us
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
a higher being created us ( not necessarilly God)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

Kobal
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many theories!

Firstly, evolution works. I mean that in two ways - we have evidence to support the evolutionary development of species; scientists are good with evidence, and (mostly) they are willing to adapt their scientific beliefs with new evidence, something which the church finds hard (eg, it was only in 1992 that the catholic church pardoned Galileo for his absurd ramblings. Something about the earth goin round the sun, or something). there is not absolute proof, cos we cant see it happening as a process, only milestones along the way.

Secondly it works for analogous processes; evolutionary algorithms are used to make electronics, most of which work a damn sight better than designed ones! (Ill find the articles about this later and post them, they are interesting to read).

Ok, another bit. The argument that god created the universe. Reasons stated i think were along the lines of complexity of the universe, and how could that not have a designer. Well, simple - the Anthropic principle. If the universe wasn't supportive of human life, we wouldnt be here to ask that question. And the only way to get that life is through a delicate and intricate system of processes, all of which can be explained in some form with evidence or mathematics of some sort. I know that seems a lil too pat for some tho.

~ William Shakespeare
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I missed something but isn't "delicate and intricate processes" appealing to the complexity of the thing to support a theory of evolution? Minor note: the universe doesn't support life. As far as we know just our little spec of a spot. Not much but enough for us.

Kobal
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are processes which are necessary for the formation of life - carbon formation in stars, the gravitational constant, plancks constant etc, which if they were different values life like us could not exist because planets and stars wouldnt form, and in the formation of planets with a biosphere the universe is supportive of life, even if we are the only niche in the whole universe, its still supportive of life, just not much of it.

Im saying that the universe is complex, but that this is the only set of conditions were we can exist, so its the only one where we can be around to ask the question "why is the universe suitable for us to live?". Its an argument to say that complexity isnt necessarily an argument for creationism, rather than being something in favour of evolution as i think i suggested last nite. Im sorry, i wasnt very clear, my fault.

~ William Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Religion & Philosophy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: