Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Tests for parenthood

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be tests for parent hood?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Other?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Tests for parenthood Reply with quote

Should there be a test to see if you are fit for parenthood?

Not just talking a test to see if you're fit to adopt, but to see if in general you are fit to look after children!

As always please explain your reason.

"An unjust peace is better than a just war."
"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must."
"I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more wars."

Last edited by Erebus on Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be completely against people's human rights but I argee that there should be a test for parenthood! It's not an easy job and it would prevent a lot of suffering on behalf of the children and society in general. It would stop complete idiots breeding!

Who should be banned from having kids?

How would this law be enforced?

tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to have enforced abortions like they did in China, though they're easing up on that now.
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said no just because we don't need another corrupt oversight bureau to turn good people's lives upside down. The Police and Courts are already doing a fine job of that.

Jarmen
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say yes, its to stop incompetants breeding and having children who dont know how to care for them in general let alone in an emergency situation, there should be courses enforced on those planning to have children and you should have to register with the government when you are pregnant and intend to keep the child so adequtte testing can be applied, if you fail miserabley then you should not be able to care for the child, basic background testing should be essential to look for things such as drug and alcohol addictions and psychotic disorders and plain criminal records such as physical violence should be looked at.

This view may seem cold and heartless to some, I know for a fact it does as we debated this topic at school earlier this week with me being the only one for this idea, they had pretty piss poor arguments such as "what if one person in the couple fails the test so they cant have children then can they?" I said well damn right! if they failed a basic parenthood test would you allow that person to care for your child?? I compared the testing for parent hood to that of getting a drivers liscense, the laws of the road are there to protect lives, why shouldnt there be harsher laws to help protect infants?

I went to a motivational speaking forum this year and a magistrate (dont know how other countries legal sytems work, a magistrate is a lower form of a judge) and she told us all her saddest story, she allowed a baby to return home to be with her parents on christmas who had an exstensive drug background and guess what happened? they shot up on something and threw the baby into a wall and the baby died as a direct result. Now tell me, you still think these kind of people who get knocked up should be allowed in a 200m radius of an infant? if you do then you can go get fucked, sorry about the french, this is my touchy feely subject here.
Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Jarmen!

The only critique I might add is this:

Have basic testing for both potential parents (background checks, drug tests, psyche tests, etc...) and if either fails then they can't have kids.

But then score them as a couple for further things (ability to look after the child, resources, spare time, etc...)

Taf - you could offer them the choice of adoption - We're not struggling for space like china, just don't want retards looking after kids!

Aalpha - I get where you are coming from!

"I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more wars."
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are scaring me to death!!!! Shocked If over taxing people causes armed revolt, what do you think will happen when you go to tampering with everybody's wee-wee like that. ****runs into the woods at night screaming****

Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:
You guys are scaring me to death!!!! Shocked If over taxing people causes armed revolt, what do you think will happen when you go to tampering with everybody's wee-wee like that. ****runs into the woods at night screaming****

Not everyone - just those that want to have kids! Confused

And besides, people are a lot more passionate about money than kids! Sadly! Sad

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a thought (cool, first one today) about this topic; who is a suitable parent? For example, a couple may have no previous convictions, be financially stable, have no previous drug or alcohol problems and be seemingly nice people but it doesn't stop them from being complete perverts! The system isn't fool proof!

AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erebus wrote:
...drug tests...

You have all forced me out of my hole and dragged me into pwning this convo.

With all due respect Erebus, and I am very sorry if this is incorrect, but I remember you saying you took drugs in your past?

So, technically you've said you can't breed?

~ Avarice
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen-you say prior convictions, that is very general, so a shoplifter now clean for 5 years couldnt have kids?

Avarice-so have so many people that would make suitable parents these days, I think the difference between drug use and drug addiction should be distinguished here, if you have tried pot at a party when you where 17 and now are 26 without touching it or any other drug since and want a child should you still be denied?
aalpha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behold the slippery slope of overseeing others. Rolling Eyes

Erebus
Site Security
Site Security

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avarice wrote:
Erebus wrote:
...drug tests...

You have all forced me out of my hole and dragged me into pwning this convo.

With all due respect Erebus, and I am very sorry if this is incorrect, but I remember you saying you took drugs in your past?

So, technically you've said you can't breed?

~ Avarice

Firstly, I don't think I want to breed, and even if I did and I failed the test, then I'd accept that.

Secondly, I have tried drugs in the past, they don't last in your system forever! I was tested when I was looking at joining the army many years ago and never failed then!

Thirdly if someone has drugs in their system, then they weren't just experimenting when they were younger, hence is likely unsuitable!

IRT Helen - No system is fool-proof, but it's better than having no system at all!

IRT Aalpha - Slippery slopes don't bother me, I'm wearing philosophical ice boots (you know the ones with spikes on the bottom), I just stamp my feet down in any argument and I'm philosophically sound. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: