Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Best Decade for Music?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which was the best decade for music?
2000s+
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
90's
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
80's
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
70's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
60's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
50's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Before this time / other
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Best Decade for Music? Reply with quote

I'm probably biased but I reckon that the "naughties" is the best time for music, there's loads of variety and there's something for everyone. True, there's loads of crap about but you can just ignore that stuff.

It always amuses me when people say "oh you wont remember today's songs in the future" or "they don't make them like they used to" Well they haven't really given new music a chance to become timeless and all the crap music from years ago have been forgotten and only the good stuff has been remembered - thus creating the illusion that music "back then"! (whenever that was) was better. Either that, or it was actually good.

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the movie "Back To The Future" I think the first one, where Marty McFly goes back to his Dad's school dance and rips a guitar in the style of (to him) former great Chuck Berry. Except that on the day he did that Chuck Berry was not yet known. The audience on the the dance floor stopped dancing and looked at him like an alien from space was on stage.

I said all that to say this. I wonder how we would rate the music of the future if we could get any where close to predicting the sounds future musicians will make? Any way I pitched my rock in the 80's pond with ripples going out to the 70's and 90's. Whoa!! How's that for poetic metaphor?

bean824
Contribution Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vote 2000+ as all of the music that I like, and the genre's, were all formed in that period Razz

Edit: I light of Av's... delightful post, i've decided to retract my claim that all the music, and genre's, that I like were formed in the 2000's. It turns out that I was mistaken. Happy now Av??? (Note the official tone used; according to Av's effort in his post, it is a matter that should be addressed in the correct manner).

Last edited by bean824 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90's! That music was my childhood! That is my reason, it has to be the best. It will be the music I will never forget! (Along with the clothes!) But I like lots of decades!
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite decade would be '65 - '75, but there is a hell of a lot else I like from other times.
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted other, my fave genres formed from other genres at different times. My fave bands were also not the first to break this genre so it all happens over a 30 year period, starting in the 60's.

bean824 wrote:
I had to vote 2000+ as all of the music that I like, and the genre's, were all formed in that period Razz

(Use wiki before you claim emo to be less than 7 years old.)

This thread will show who actually knows what about music.

~ AVARiCE
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then it isn't me. Anything I like, I listen to it, I don't really care about how old it is or when it started.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
AVARiCE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:
Happy now Av??? (Note the official tone used; according to Av's effort in his post, it is a mtter that should be addressed in the correct manner).

I don't really care tbh... I'm just in that sort of mood. Well posted though, care to point out the effort I put in?

~ AVARiCE
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:

What kinda music are you into?

bean824
Contribution Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
bean824 wrote:

My post is kind of null and void now, it just got proved wrong by arse-hole head over there. But yeah, I like Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Arctic Monkeys and Fallout Boy (If someone says to me ONE MORE TIME that i'm emo, i'm going to scream). But I like all different songs as well
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:
area51newmexico wrote:
bean824 wrote:

My post is kind of null and void now, it just got proved wrong by arse-hole head over there. But yeah, I like Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Arctic Monkeys and Fallout Boy (If someone says to me ONE MORE TIME that i'm emo, i'm going to scream). But I like all different songs as well

Isn't that what emos do- scream and cry? Lol Is it ok if I call you a metalhead instead?

bean824
Contribution Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
bean824 wrote:
area51newmexico wrote:
bean824 wrote:

Isn't that what emos do- scream and cry? Lol Is it ok if I call you a metalhead instead?

You've turned into Av! *Screams and crys*. And i don't like metal, na-na!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:
Is it ok if I call you a metalhead instead?

I'd shoot you, tbh. Point out the metal there, except for Linkin Park and I'll give you a cookie. Bean listens to emo and various mainstream crap.

~ AVARiCE
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It annoys me when people call bands like The Kaiserchiefs and Hard-Fi and other similar bands rock. It's not! It's pop/rock or Indie!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! I was waiting for that Very Happy

FYI Indie is not a genre. Indie music (Independent music) is merely music made by bands from independent labels. Any label not within the four "big" labels (Sony BMG, EMI, Warner Music Group, Universal Music Group) is generally considered indie.

The genre you refer to as "indie" is actually alternative rock. A working example, the Artic Monkeys are, in fact, alternative rock.

This gives me an idea.

~ AVARiCE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: