Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Blue or Red Pill?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you choose -
Red Pill
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Blue Pill
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
No Idea what you're talking about, not seen the film
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Blue or Red Pill? Reply with quote

For those of you who have seen the Matrix, which would you pick?

Red pill - leave the Matrix prison and see the truth and the real world

OR

the Blue Pill - Stay where you are but live a lie.

Any thought?

When I went our for my birthday night out, a friend of mine was apprently dressed like Neo and he kept getting asked "Which is it; the blue or the red pill?" by random drunk people!

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue or Red Pill? Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

When I went our for my birthday night out, a friend of mine was apprently dressed like Neo and he kept getting asked "Which is it; the blue or the red pill?" by random drunk people!

There was no apparently about it! - even I said he looked like he had just stepped off the set! - I want a shirt like that, though I think I would be unable to carry the look off like he did, when he added the sunglasses the look was complete. He was a great guy and would like to meet him again Smile

Quote:

Cypher: I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Nah, i'd take the red pill.

Here's a thought...

From your link about the red pill

Quote:

The job of Zion hovercraft crews were to find human minds within the Matrix that questioned its reality and have their minds ejected from the Matrix and their bodies removed from the powerplant.

The Matrix is real (for the sake of my argument here) - people who challenge their reality are more likely to break free. Challenging your reality and asking philosophical questions about reality are perhaps a small part of the overall picture.

In our 'reality' philosophy is seen to be 'boring' those people who would probably challenge their reality more may be more 'geeky' than a 'normal' person. This is why nerdy, geeky people are perhaps bullied. It's the matrix program trying to supress you, makes you want to be part of 'normal' society and belong there to stop asking those questions. So people who aren't as mentally acute or wise as you, would just look at you gone out, before they tell their friends you are 'weird' and they start to pick on you for having 'unorthodox' ideas...

I'd take the red pill

EDIT - 4 people have said you would take the red pill but not come forward with your reasons why Shocked - come on, Agent Smith wont appear behind you... honest... look, i've typed this post out quite happily, sharing it with the world, and i'm perfectly ok still... If this was the matrix, then I would need to be silenced, and the dog would polymorph into Agent Smith and he wou
whufc88
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yawn i said red because im not too fond of some of the things that have been happening recently in my life.
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I would not like to see the world for what it really is I would prefer being lied to. Another point is that being lied to has a less chance of getting you killed

(don't know if that makes sense but I just got back from holiday so leave me alone)

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
BubbleCum
Forum Queen 2007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd eat both at the same time and see what happens
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BubbleCum wrote:

I'd eat both at the same time and see what happens

Well, the red pill was actually a trace program that helped the other members of the human resistance find you, the blue pill although we never saw it being taken I assume was another program that made you fall asleep and you'd wake up back home.

So I guess what would happen is that, you'd fall asleep and you'd end up with people coming into your house and wondering why you weren't ready to go out and fight the evil AI.

Come on come on, look at you! - you look like you've just got up! - your hair's a mess, you can't go saving the world in your pyjamas! - go get a shower, brush your teeth, get dressed have your breakfast and a cuppa and then come meet us outside.
tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already took the red pill. Knowing good stuff is really worth it, but with it comes awareness of lots of bad stuff. But I can get some distance from the emotional freight of the bad stuff through a glass of red wine and some herbal attitude adjustment now and then (=not in the morning).

Here's part of how the blue pill works. It's a longish list, but only one page. Read it all and you get a sense of how many different ways we can mis-perceive reality. I have long been aware that I am just as susceptible to errors as the next person, and distressed at the words and actions of people who are unaware of their potential for error. ergo, being a hermit insulates me from most of that.

I loved this one, which made me instantly think of politicians and some co-workers

Quote:
Dunning-Kruger effect — "...when people are incompetent in the strategies they adopt to achieve success and satisfaction, they suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it. Instead, ...they are left with the mistaken impression that they are doing just fine."[4](see also Lake Wobegon effect, and overconfidence effect).

EDIT I talked about this to Lucy and she wanted me to email the list of cognitive biases, despite its length. Another candidate for the red pill.
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting read. As I was making my way through the list I was reminded of various people who fit the description of each one.

I too have wondered about the Physical attractiveness stereotype where attractive people also possess other socially desirable personality traits. I a girl who is really quite attractive, but would be quite a pain if you had to live with her. People who are attractive tend to try and get away with more in my opinion (because they can)

Oh look at that...

Quote:

The stereotype acts as a self-fulfilling prophecy where the perception of attractive people as more valuable members of society leads to their receiving preferential treatment, positive feedback and tangible benefit.

Another one i've always had a moan about is, the herd instinct to do with fashion, just because Major Bob Onna Unicycle the most famed actor in the universe has been seen wearing a shirt from some manufacturer that puts a small crocodile on their shirts, they ask for £100 (which is something I could get from Tescos for £9.95 for 3) so everyone has to do it. That always baffled me as well. I can see myself gesticulating wildly at the screen as I have a proper read of this, nice find Taf Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: