Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Refi

Bookmark this site!
The Big Bang
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Area 51 Forum Index -> Aliens & Conspiracies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think the big bang is real?
Hell yeah
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
No, it's a load of bull
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
God made the universe scientists know nothing
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Author Message
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007


Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 1396

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: The Big Bang Reply with quote

I decided to make a seperate thread on this instead of putting it in the "holy universe batman" one.

So, scientists reckon the universe generated from something the size of a needle. I think its a load of rubbish, how could something so small create what we have today?

What are your thoughts on this Big Bang theory?
_________________
BEST NOOB 2007 Very Happy



"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005


Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Posts: 5780
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your poll is both shiny and bright. In Micra speak. (Thank you Top Gear).

Anyways I believe God made the Earth, but not that Scientists know nothing. The Big Bang theory is funny, you get all these non-religious people laughing at "us" because "we" believe the Earth was created by a superior force, but they can't see what's ironic about their story. But hey, it's all opinions and if mine is respected I can return the favour.

~ AVARiCE
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bean824
Contribution Expert


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 663
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, something I learnt from RS lesson (I learnt something from them?!?!?! Shocked ). If God created the Universe, and as many religious stories point out, there was nothing before it was created, then how could have God existed? *Rests his case*
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005


Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Posts: 5780
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:
Right, something I learnt from RS lesson (I learnt something from them?!?!?! Shocked ). If God created the Universe, and as many religious stories point out, there was nothing before it was created, then how could have God existed? *Rests his case*


What did the big bang atom exist within?

~ AVARiCE
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bean824
Contribution Expert


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 663
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVARiCE wrote:


What did the big bang atom exist within?

~ AVARiCE


What did God exist within?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005


Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Posts: 5780
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God is the within. God is whoever and whatever I want Him to be, as he has no set shape or structure. You were obviously messing around during that lesson.

Now answer the question.

~ AVARiCE
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bean824
Contribution Expert


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 663
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is your personal opinion of 'God' (i never knew you were religious, are you SURE you're not putting this on? Confused ). It is not an actual proven fact, unlike the Big Bang, which is proven with the Red Shift theory.

And as for answering your question, YOU try to answer an unanswerable question. Razz
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
tafkao
Forum Overlord


Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 3946

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather about the Big Bang all the matter in the universe agglomerated together, with the force of gravity both compressing all matter into an infintessimal space and also causing corespondingly intense heat, presumably to the point where the whole thing exploded, ejecting matter 13.5 billion light years from the point of origin. I believe that when the momentum from the Big Bang is dissipated, matter will begin to accumulate again and eventually another Big Bang will result. So before the Big Bang was a another universe and before that another BB, ad infinitum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005


Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Posts: 5780
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:
That is your personal opinion of 'God' (i never knew you were religious, are you SURE you're not putting this on? Confused ). It is not an actual proven fact, unlike the Big Bang, which is proven with the Red Shift theory.

And as for answering your question, YOU try to answer an unanswerable question. Razz


Are you kidding me? I wore a chain with a cross on it to school for most of last year until someone broke it, how did you not notice? Just because I don't preach doesn't mean I can't be a believer. Although yeah, I'm not really religious, I think places likes churches are farces.

Are you talking about the Big Bang theory here? You know, the one that we were even told in Science is only a Scientific theory? It's definitely not fact, there is evidence to prove that one of Manchester United/Chelsea/Liverpool all have the strongest squads in the Premiership, doesn't mean it's fact.

I'm guessing this is your question:

Bean824 wrote:
Right, something I learnt from RS lesson (I learnt something from them?!?!?!). If God created the Universe, and as many religious stories point out, there was nothing before it was created, then how could have God existed? *Rests his case*


Nothing existed in the place of the Universe, God had not created the Sun yet either so I'm guessing it was all darkness.

Now answer mine.

~ AVARiCE
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007


Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 1396

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:
It is not an actual proven fact, unlike the Big Bang, which is proven with the Red Shift theory.


Notice that it is only a theory they can't and never will prove that the Big Bang created the universe because it didn't. Science is all about theories, that's why I think it's a load of bull. The theories they come up with, they have to prove, and unless they prove the big bang did happen, you shouldn't believe what they say.
_________________
BEST NOOB 2007 Very Happy



"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bean824
Contribution Expert


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 663
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skorpz wrote:
Notice that it is only a theory they can't and never will prove that the Big Bang created the universe because it didn't. Science is all about theories, that's why I think it's a load of bull. The theories they come up with, they have to prove, and unless they prove the big bang did happen, you shouldn't believe what they say.


AVARiCE wrote:
Nothing existed in the place of the Universe, God had not created the Sun yet either so I'm guessing it was all darkness.


Then it is as much a theory as is God's existance (which in some ways can't even be called a theory).

AVARiCE wrote:
Are you kidding me? I wore a chain with a cross on it to school for most of last year until someone *ACCIDENTLY* broke it, how did you not notice? Just because I don't preach doesn't mean I can't be a believer. Although yeah, I'm not really religious, I think places likes churches are farces.


All I done was express my surprise that you were slightly religious. Besides, many who wear a cross do so out of habit, or because they feel they get some kind of different social stigma from wearing it. And before you say anything, NO, i'm not saying you do the above, i'm simply saying that many people do.

And as for your question, it has many physicisatians (Yes, wrong spelling Razz ) tearing their hair out. The only answer I can think of is that it existing in the same 'substance/nothingness' that the Universe is expanding out into at present.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess


Joined: 08 Jul 2005
Posts: 10598
Location: East Yorkshire, England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, while I believe that the Big Bang is a very strong & interesting theory, I'm not 100% convienced by it. I guess I'm just waiting for another, better, theory to come along or something to disprove the existing theories.

What I don't belive is that a god created the universe. Gods are just stories created by early humans to explain the unknown.
_________________
Helen, the Administratrix of www.area51newmexico.com

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 7651
Location: To the right of my computer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafkao wrote:

From what I can gather about the Big Bang all the matter in the universe agglomerated together, with the force of gravity both compressing all matter into an infintessimal space and also causing corespondingly intense heat, presumably to the point where the whole thing exploded, ejecting matter 13.5 billion light years from the point of origin. I believe that when the momentum from the Big Bang is dissipated, matter will begin to accumulate again and eventually another Big Bang will result. So before the Big Bang was a another universe and before that another BB, ad infinitum.


Ahh the Big Crunch theory. I used to wonder about that one myself, until I saw an episode of Horizon once, where they pointed out that actually, the universe (sssh! aalpha may be reading) isn't slowing down, but speeding up in expansion. This does actually remove a lot of the ideas of the big crunch, because things have to be slowing down, to come to a stop, before you can go into reverse, or at least, so I imaged... New Scientist begs to differ with me!

I had then believed that we would go onto a big expansion, finally ending in heat death or a big freeze, of course, the whole cycle starts again

That seems to make the most sense to me, meaning that, somewhere out there... are 'dead universes'

The trouble I have with accepting a big bang-big crunch theory is that...

If the universe has being going bang-crunch-bang-bang-crunch-bang-bang-crunch-bang and so on. Is everything we do, everything we say, everything we are, already been predetermined? - already acted out, for eons into the past?
For example, there is a empty cup by my keyboard, earlier I went downstairs to make a cup of tea. Has that action been performed an infinite number of times before in all the universes before? - is everything fixed? - I'm not entirely sure I like the idea of all my actions, despite being 'free' to of been already decided. While it is a possibility I understand, it just strikes me as being an awful lot of constants having to go off at the same time to maintain 'the butter fly effect' for other events, across infinity.

Skorpz wrote:

Notice that it is only a theory they can't and never will prove that the Big Bang created the universe because it didn't.


Didn't it? - you sound very sure there, sounds like you're almost stating a fact.
_________________
I should update my sig. What to put here for $CurrentYear ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005


Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Posts: 5780
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:
Then it is as much a theory as is God's existance (which in some ways can't even be called a theory).


Calling God's existence theory is insulting tbh. Who are you, or anyone else to think that you are better than anyone who has lived thousands of years before you? If you don't believe in God that is fine, however it is not a theory, it is a belief. Get it right and prevent yourself being publicly embarrassed.

bean824 wrote:
All I done was express my surprise that you were slightly religious. Besides, many who wear a cross do so out of habit, or because they feel they get some kind of different social stigma from wearing it. And before you say anything, NO, i'm not saying you do the above, i'm simply saying that many people do.

And as for your question, it has many physicisatians (Yes, wrong spelling Razz ) tearing their hair out. The only answer I can think of is that it existing in the same 'substance/nothingness' that the Universe is expanding out into at present.


Actually you are, as you placed me in that group of people Wink

My question still stands then, albeit slightly differently:

What is the universe expanding into right now?

area51newmexico wrote:
Well, while I believe that the Big Bang is a very strong & interesting theory, I'm not 100% convienced by it. I guess I'm just waiting for another, better, theory to come along or something to disprove the existing theories.

What I don't belive is that a god created the universe. Gods are just stories created by early humans to explain the unknown.


I don't think anyone is 100% convinced by it, but people go along with it as Scientists preach it, whereas the alternate isn't allowed to be preached. Political Correctness and all that censorship crap.

Unfortunately Helen, the second part of your post is rather ignorant and I would consider revising it, not just because it is insulting but because it is very close-minded. It also sounds like you have listened to mainstream culture and nodded under pressure.

~ AVARiCE
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
warwgn
King Speedy Gramps


Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 1946
Location: Farmington, New Mexico USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skorpz wrote:
bean824 wrote:
It is not an actual proven fact, unlike the Big Bang, which is proven with the Red Shift theory.


Notice that it is only a theory they can't and never will prove that the Big Bang created the universe because it didn't. Science is all about theories, that's why I think it's a load of bull. The theories they come up with, they have to prove, and unless they prove the big bang did happen, you shouldn't believe what they say.


Quote:
In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behaviour are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and general relativity.



Skorpz wrote:
So, scientists reckon the universe generated from something the size of a needle. I think its a load of rubbish, how could something so small create what we have today?



Quote:
The Big Bang is the cosmological model of the universe whose primary assertion is that the universe has expanded into its current state from a primordial condition of enormous density and temperature. The term is also used in a narrower sense to describe the fundamental "fireball" that erupted at or close to time t=0 in the history of the universe.[1]

Observational evidence for the Big Bang includes the analysis of the spectrum of light from galaxies, which reveal a shift towards longer wavelengths proportional to each galaxy's distance in a relationship described by Hubble's law. Combined with the assumption that observers located anywhere in the universe would make similar observations (the Copernican principle), this suggests that space itself is expanding. Extrapolation of this expansion back in time yields a state in the distant past in which the universe was in a state of immense density and temperature. This hot, dense state is the key premise of the Big Bang. Observations now place the age of the universe at around 13.7 billion years.

Theoretical support for the Big Bang comes from mathematical models, called Friedmann models. These models show that a Big Bang is consistent with general relativity and with the cosmological principle, which states that the properties of the universe should be independent of position or orientation.

The theory of Big Bang nucleosynthesis predicts the rates at which various light elements are created in models of the early universe and gives results that are generally consistent with observations. The Big Bang model also predicts the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB), a background of weak microwave radiation filling the whole universe. The discovery of the CMB in 1964 led to general acceptance among physicists that the Big Bang is the best model for the origin and evolution of the universe.




dont see anything about a needle in there??
_________________
I'm faster than you!!!!!

http://wideopenracing.easyphpbb.com/index.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Area 51 Forum Index -> Aliens & Conspiracies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Effex-Media Web Resources
Design by SkaidonDesigns | Distributed by Olate
 
Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse