Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Carebear needs to stop smoking
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Yes or No
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
no
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

BritishKid
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Carebear needs to stop smoking Reply with quote

Claire keeps smoking telling me she's gonna quit but she doesn't who thinks she should if yes why and if no why
carebear
Valued Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't stop it's my life
BritishKid
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops s'pose to be in general chat if can can sum1 move it? pleases and thank yous
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoking has never been good and never will be, it's a waste of money and you're better off saving it for something else instead of paying to kill yourself.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this thread being a good one

Anyway, as for your question.

You can do as many polls as you like, you can ask her to stop smoking, you can tell her to stop smoking, but this will fall on deaf ears.

Yes, you only have her health in mind, and any smoker will tell you what a filthy habit smoking is.

You can tell her all the facts and figures, you can tell her what happens, you can explain that her lungs will eventually turn to mush, or she'll end up breathing through a hole in her throat and she'll have the wrinkly skin of an 85 year old when she's 40, but she's not listening.

Smokers get through by not listening to what they don't like the sounds of. They know it's not good for them, but they tend not to think about the damage they are doing, they live in hope that 'it'll never happen to them'

To give up smoking, the smoker does actually have to want to give up. So while this thread is a good idea in showing you are right, and she is wrong ( yet again eh Wink) it is as futile as trying to put resistance up against the borg.

I had an ex girlfriend who smoked, and despite me trying to get her to stop, she never did. It was always going to be, tomorrow, next week, christmas, new year, easter.

I was on a night out once with her and her friends, and she went to kiss me, I smelt that she had been smoking, and I said that 'her breath stank of shit' to her face.

She looked shocked and very hurt, ( women can't handle the truth it seemed) but she did what women do and went to moan to her friends that her evil evil boyfriend wouldn't kiss her, her friends on that night out, who were all non smokers themselves, didn't give the correct response that she wanted, and sulked for the rest of the night and the day after as well.

She still smokes to this day. When we split up, she got with one of my friends, and became pregnant ( that's a whole other story) we all know the dangers of smoking while pregnant, but she continued to do so, right through out the 9 months. She's now on her second pregnancy, and smoking still. Then she'll call herself a good mother.

If Claire really wants to give up though have a look into this book
Allen Carr's Easy way to stop smoking - I'm not a smoker, so I have no idea how good this book is, but I know a lot of smokers who've raved about it in the past.

£6.99 delivered - so it's less than a tenner

Now, after all that - i'm voting that she should stop smoking however
Kemo
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carebear wrote:
can't stop it's my life

its easy to quit... just start heroine instead

Minty wrote:
Smokers get through by not listening to what they don't like the sounds of. They know it's not good for them, but they tend not to think about the damage they are doing, they live in hope that 'it'll never happen to them'

i agree with you here Matt but i don' think you should state it as if only smokers are like these. We all do this.

Secondly Britishkid don't push the issue. it will cause unneeded stress and tension in the relationship if you keep bugging her about it and making public knowledge of how you want her to quit.
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped. If I can anyone can. I did have help I won't deny it. I used every ounce of will power and failed every time. One day I saw an ad in the paper. Dr. Jed Rose who developed the nicotine patch was experimenting with the patch and a small dose of blood pressure medicine. One medium would turn off some "neuro-triggers" while the other one turned off others. Neither one impacted all the neuro-triggers. His premise was that nicotine is as much psychologically addictive as it is physically addictive. Neuro-triggers are the mental circumstances that makes a cigarette worth selling your soul for. While getting ready for a hot bath/shower, after a big meal, while working on your hobby, after sex, while watering your plants and so on.

When I started the program it was as if I was a computer with a sound card, video card, and a smoking card. The smoking card was pulled and smoking ceased to happen. When I quit, the only time I thought about a cigarette was when I realized how long I had been without one. No withdrawal, no fits, no nothing. The smoking card had been unplugged.

Carebear, you must know smoking is not good for you. If you have the smallest shred of desire to quit, you can. It does not have to be unpleasant to quit and you really don't have to gain weight. You may have to change some habits to keep from gaining weight but you can control most of it to a high degree.

Please stop smoking. Smile

carebear
Valued Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im really hooked on it though and when i get stressed i need sumfin to calm my nerves
carebear
Valued Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is really hard, i have tried many times. it also doesn' when both of your parents smoke as well
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carebear wrote:
im really hooked on it though and when i get stressed i need sumfin to calm my nerves

I get stressed too, we all do but smoking isn't the answer.

Just think, if you do stop smoking, you'll give yourself an instant £1800 a year pay rise! Just think, all that money is currently going up in smoke!

carebear
Valued Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true but i cnt help it, when i need a fag i mean i need a fag. both parents of mine smoke, most of my family do as well so it doesn't help either. and Matthew cnt reali talk because he used to smoke as well. and his parents do, so dnt you all think it is a little harder for me.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's not impossible. My boyfriend quit for many years; his mother, father, brother, sister and most of friends do still smoke. His mother has now stopped smoking as she got emphysema(sp) and was physically too ill to smoke. She still has it but it is slightly better that "a living hell" that she was before. It's still not very pleasant to watch though.

Did I mention the money side of quitting smoking?

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carebear wrote:

I think I made a similar post in another thread somewhere with the topic of smoking.

Does a cigarette calm a persons nerves, *OR*

Are people getting stressed because they haven't had a cigarette for a while, their body craves nicotine, making them feel stressed.

Which means smoking doesn't calm them down as such, it's just satisfying their desire for nicotine until the next time.

If Britishkid used to smoke, and has stopped, he knows precisely what you are going through. He is perhaps the best to help you stop. You do realise that £1800 would pay for an absolutely fantastic holiday, or anything else you like Smile

There are many things on the market to help you quit, but it would be best to *only* quit if you want. Don't let other people bully you into quitting though if you don't want, you have to be working with people to give up, not against them.
carebear
Valued Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i no but people are always hassling me to quit but i cnt help it because everytime i need a fag i get stopped by matthew
carebear
Valued Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about a hundred times helen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: