Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Which is Worse....?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Swearword is Worse?
The "F" Word
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
The "C" Word
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Which is Worse....? Reply with quote

Hey, I'm bored and in a silly mood.

I'd probably say the "C" word is worse. I'd say fuck in front of my parents but not cunt - it's just wrong!

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither...

This type of poll reminds me of http://www.youmustchoose.com/

It's the explanations people (optionally) give about how their mind works which I think is the best bit.
alienator
Oh Perfect One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say the C word is just wrong...like Helen I use the F word in front of my parents but not the C word.
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it, a swearword is a swearword you can't have good ones.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex said this "Why would I use the word for one of my favourite body parts to insult people, it doesn't make sense". I tend to agree in general, but in select male company, I have used it without any self-consciousness. Depends on the context and company. I worked with a managing Director whose most common term of address for meetings of his management team was "You cunts...." He was a country boy, but a self-made millionaire by age 40.
Rach
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word is just a word - the only word that can ever really hurt someone is 'fire' and that's more the associated shooting really...

I know a lot of people that use the 'f' word as if its just a usual word though, and some of them are offended by the 'c' word. And I don't know anyone who uses the 'c' word as often as the 'f' word, so by that logic when they do use it it is to greater effect as people aren't expecting it as much and it shows that you are really angry

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rach wrote:
And I don't know anyone who uses the 'c' word as often as the 'f' word, so by that logic when they do use it it is to greater effect as people aren't expecting it as much and it shows that you are really angry

That's very true and it's why I don't swear very often. When I do swear if often shocks people. For example, at work a described a problem as being "a bit of a bastard", and I turned everyone's head in the room and a few giggles. One person commented "sorry, it's something that I didn't expect you to say". For other people, every other word is "fuck" so you don't pay attention to it.

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch and see kiddies, one day the "C" word will be as ordinary as the "F" word. But for me the "C" word is worse. Just because it is.

From an old source:

Word History: The obscenity fuck is a very old word, first recorded in English in the 15th century. Age has not dimmed its shock value, even though it is seen in print much more often now than in the past. Its first known occurrence, in a poem entitled "Flen flyys" written sometime before 1500, is in code, illustrating the unacceptability of the word even then. The poem, composed in a mixture of Latin and English, satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, with the title taken from the first words of the poem, "Flen, flyys, and freris," that is, "fleas, flies, and friars." The line that contains fuck reads "Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk." The Latin words "Non sunt in coeli, quia" mean "they [the friars] are not in heaven, since." The code "gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk" is easily broken by simply writing the preceding letter in the alphabet. As we decode, we must watch for differences in the alphabet and in spelling between then and now. For g write f; for x, v (used for u and v); d, c; b, a; o, n; v, t; xx, vv (which equals w); k, i; x, v; z, y; t, s; p, o; g, f; i, h; f, e; m, l; and for k, i. This yields "fvccant [a fake Latin form] vvivys of heli." The whole thus reads in translation: "They are not in heaven because they fuck wives of Ely [a town near Cambridge]."

tafkao
Forum Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything imaginable (and then some) about Fuck.

It seems to have been a handy and popular word for a long time before anyone committed it to print. The reason for the 'coding' of the word was apparently more because it specifically insulted nuns and friars, rather than out of general modesty.

In Chaucer's writing the common word was Swyve, but given possible Germanic roots for Fuck, and Chaucer's desire to resurrect English words, the two probably co-existed for centuries before Chaucer.

The Oxford English Dictionary says the exact origin is unknown, and they are usually right about these things.

Fuck and the C word both debuted in the OED in 1972. Satirist/standup comic Lenny Bruce deliberately used such words on stage to get himself arrested for obscenity. His autobiography is called How to Talk Dirty and Influence People.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: