Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Your Thoughts on Tasers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Tasers should be used frequently by police officers?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

TheBozzy
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Your Thoughts on Tasers? Reply with quote

Alrighty, I'm sitting here watching the news when a story come on about a 17 year old black man being killed by a taser.

The details is that the man was a very muscular guy, and he assaulted (sp?) his manager at his work, a local Food Lion. The manager called the law to sustain the man. The cops tased him (didn't say how long they kept it on, i mean it is 50,000 bolts...). They also found 3 small bags of marijuana on him, but thats not the point. The man was killed.

I know I'm gonna get criticized over this, but my opinion on tasers are they are a great thing. Yes, hundreds of people die a year from taser incidents, but it's better than the thousands with guns. They also drop big men and make them cry like babies. I also think police officers should carry guns too, because tasers a usually only used for close encounters.

Ok, post your opinions and vote. Thnx.

{edited by aalpha} No matter how many options you have be it 2 or 10, always include "Other" or as we fondly call it The Obligatory Other. You can just use "Other." or the long title if you wish.

~TheBozzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nebrios
Veteran Contributer

Location: New Zealand (like Australia except less sheep shagging)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting tasered is not exactly a nice experience but getting shot is worse. and getting shot is more lethal so if cops had tasers it might reduce fatalities. and you dont often hear about people getting killed by guns in the news unless its controversial.
3. Losing
4. Taking AVARiCE on and thinking he'd forgive and forget.

I Hate What You Have To Say , But I Will Defend Your Right To Kill Me For It. -Voltron
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea!

voted Yes because I think that Tazers should replace small firearms within the police force. Not only are they non-lethal (you get what I mean) but they look freakin' hilarious!

If only people had heard about Tazers before guns...

~ AVARiCE
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bossy - you're from the States? Well our British regular cops don't even carry guns so they are pretty much sitting ducks.

Like you say, they are a great deterrent and most importantly are non-lethal (usually). Police have gotta have something to protect themselves and the public and this is the best option.

Avarice - Laughing

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said other because there's times when they just can't shoot so yes a taser is the way to go. I have never seen a taser but I doubt that 50,000 volts can be "left on." The stun guns I've seen where you have to be in arm's reach do both; stay on as long as you hold the button or just fry for a second or so. The safety there is the perp will fall out of harm's way in a split second. Maybe it's a user controlled thing. I read a story about this and the article as usual raised more questions than it answered. It certainly didn't inform the reader about any crucial details.It used to be the noble thing to do when you found out your kid stole something to make him go back a face the store owner/manager. Now it appears the parent (and the kid) would be better off to trash the items and forget about it.

Edited:

I gues this is the incident you posted about Bozzy

Teen Dies After Shocked by Taser by Police While at Work

Posted: Mar. 21, 2008

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A Charlotte teenager has died after being shocked with a Taser during a confrontation with police at the grocery store where he worked.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said 17-year-old Darryl Wayne Turner died Thursday. An autopsy is pending.

The Charlotte Observer reported Friday that officers responded to a call at a Food Lion and saw Turner throwing something at a store manager.

Police said Turner appeared agitated, refused their commands and advanced toward an officer before the Taser was used.

Turner's mother, Tammy Fontenot, said her son told her earlier in the day that he had stolen Hot Pockets from the store and feared disciplinary action. Fontenot said she told him to go back to the store to face what happened.

Edited again. Here is a more better link:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/15660114/detail.html

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Reminds me of this post
http://wwwarea51newmex.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=2245

Very Happy

I'll post a more sensible thought out reply in a bit Smile
pickle
Forum Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the police force that covers my area has been trialling them recently.
Haven't heard anything bad happen yet. To me they seem like a good idea better than guns. As they restrain a 'criminal' without intentionally harming them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7303215.stm
This is a link about the trials for taser guns in England and Wales police forces.

EDIT: I have voted for other because they should be used when necessary not frequently.

Last edited by pickle on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they're a brilliant invention. They don't cause as much harm as a gun would and police actually wouldn't be scared to shoot people.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to stand corrected - apparently the Police version of the Taser can be left on for varying times. I saw a vid of a civilian version that was lower voltage but stayed on for 30 seconds, time enough to get away. The situation must be like that of volunteer minor surgery. That is, there's no such thing as minor or safe surgery. We have a news story about a 18yo girl/woman who died during corrective breast surgery from a reaction to the anesthesia. Not exactly routine but no one is clamoring to stop women from electing to have corrective breast surgery.

TheBozzy
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I like tasers but one thing about them is cops kinda take them more as toys. They shoot someone even if they do listen, but hey a police officer here in the states is a very stressful job. And yea, I'm from the states..Not so totally proud to admit it either, I dont really wanna go much on details. But tazers are starting to be a hot thing in the states, not really where I live, which is a small city and has low crime. I mean hell, you can even order your own personalized tazer (and when i say that i mean seriously, you can get it in colors like pink and purple...) that shoot 50,000 volts, for 30 seconds (OUCH!)...Just long enough for, lets say a women getting raped to get away. Cops can adjust how powerful they want their tazer to be and for how long ect. Not totally sure, but I think most cops keep it on 4 second jolts.

Oh yeah, and that story you found on the web bout the Charlotte man getting killed, thats it. Lol you people are probably getting tired of my useless typing but heck, I'm bored what can you expect?

By the way, I'm thinking about moving to either canada or England whenever I get older...Is it a good place to live? I mean canada is nice but it's soo cold! I'm used to 90degree weather in the summer time, so you guys be the judge.

Welp I've probably bored you enough, I'm outta here!

~TheBozzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skorpz
Forum Ace & Best Noob 2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want nice weather don't bother coming to England, I assure you that you WILL NOT find it here.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."
Eleanor Roosevelt
aalpha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBozzy wrote:
I mean canada is nice but it's soo cold! I'm used to 90degree weather in the summer time, so you guys be the judge.

The only thing we get bored with is people constantly putting themselves down. Write on, Bro!! uh, a little pop cultural humor there. If you think you're going to miss 90° heat you better narrow your list down to Australia or some where near the Equator. England sounds a lot like the weather in San Fransisco. Mark Twain said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Fransisco." If you move to Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, you'll need sell all your canoing gear. Don't go down the rivers - just don't, unless you *like* squealing like a pig. Razz

TheBozzy
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nahh I didn't say I would miss the weather, I actually like the weather down here it's not too cold, or not too hot. It does get a little bit hot in the summers, but it's still sweet, I mean it is summer? Lol who wants it to be 50 degrees in summer time. Anyway, I do like it down here because of the low crime, the people where I live are nice, I can drive about 30 mins and be in the mountains, or i can drive about 4 hours to be at the ocean. Ok that is kinda far, but whatever lol.

Anyway I was just meaning to kinda take a long vacation for like 6 months or a year or something.

~TheBozzy
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBozzy wrote:
Lol you people are probably getting tired of my useless typing but heck, I'm bored what can you expect?

By the way, I'm thinking about moving to either canada or England whenever I get older...Is it a good place to live? I mean canada is nice but it's soo cold! I'm used to 90degree weather in the summer time, so you guys be the judge.

No wai! You're probably the only poster on here that I actually read the entire posts of, the other long posters try too hard when making long posts, yours are nice and easy to read.

Ask aalpha, me and long posts do not compute, you are the exception that proves the rule.

England is shit. Hope this helps Wink

~ AVARiCE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBozzy, this theBud's for theYou. . . .

http://www.mp3sparks.com/preview.shtml?group=5387&album=7&song=39

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: