Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
depression or drugs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

would you take drugs or live in depression?
DRUG ME UP BABY!!!
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
i give myself to the claws of despair and depression
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

BritishKid
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: depression or drugs? Reply with quote

my despression is rife recently so my question is . . .
if you were depressed would you grin and bare it or become dependant on pills?
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despair and depression. Pills are a waste of time, they mask the issue but don't tackle it.

~ AVARiCE
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another poll without an *OTHER* option.

Speak to your GP

Sorry, i'm not the most versed in knowing who you need to specifically talk to, but your GP may be a good start Smile
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own but I think anti-depressiants drugs are brilliant.

But as Avarice says it wont fix any under lying problems. Counselling (Or just talking, it's free!) might help solve any problems you may have.

Doctors don't like to prescribe drugs but it's worth an ask, it can't hurt.

aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what they all said. If you know the source of the - well if you don't know find out THEN work on it. It may or may not be easy. Sometimes information / education can change how something impacts us, sometimes it takes all the strength you can muster, mentally, spiritually, even physically to deal with stuff. You most likely were not born depressed, so seek your answers and if a pill helps, use it. Just remember it's not a fix. Never ever give up. Never ever.

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi! Who changed my post!?

livinginparadise
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give myself....

I know a few people that take Zoloft and Xanex and they are all Zombies. I will not take pills. stop Don't use drugs.

If you do, stick to marijuana. JMO
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helly wrote:

Oi! Who changed my post!?

Believe it or not, you did...

area51newmexico wrote:

Each to their own but I think anti-depressiants drugs are brilliant.

That might be because they are?

area51newmexico wrote:

Doctors don't like to prescribe drugs but it's worth an ask, it can't hurt.

My point was that they know about this sort of thing, if they feel you would be best using anti depressants then they'll make that suggestion and take you off them when whatever it is has been sorted (or whatever)

If they believe that they wont help then they wont. The point is that they will choose which ever is the correct method for you.

Your options were very 'black and white'. Either a lifetime on drugs or a lifetime of depression. Neither sound appealing, so speaking to someone who probably knows the best solutions would be best. Not a load of people on an internet forum who are perhaps not qualified to give such advice Smile

Just my 2p Smile
BritishKid
Veteran Contributer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reason for no other option is that it's more of an ultimatum question as in one or the other. . . . did i get that right . . . . pain. . . .
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used the word 'dependent'

It's just that word to me, signifies 'for a very long time' - maybe the word 'dependent' means something different to you than it does to me?

With proper medical guidance I believe that you wouldn't be 'dependent'.

I still say drugs for the time being. I guess also that your GP or whomever is supplying you with medication will also see to it that whatever else is necessary will happen to help you.

When I was in hospital on morphine, I was only allowed so much in a certain amount of time, this limit was instigated by medical professionals for my own good.

When I came out of hospital, for a few months a thought did creep into the back of my mind rarely 'Wouldn't it be sooo good to have a shot of morphine?' - it'd say, but I knew there was no way of getting it. Eventually that thought went.

I'm fully aware that I may be saying things and that 'I don't understand your situation' - you're right. I may not understand, which is why I think it's best talking to someone who does - like your GP or whoever you choose Smile (though if those people you choose are us, here - then so be it)

I say drugs for now though still to answer the question.
bean824
Contribution Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drugs all the way. Now, as Av and Skorpz think, apparently I'm addicted to drugs i.e Nurofen. But I ask you all this:

You're in pain, and placed somewhere where you need to concentrate (for this example, lets say a migraine at school). Is there anything wrong with taking a couple of painkillers to allow you to concentrate at a period in time that is important?

Many times we 3 have argued about this, yet they continue to act like hero's and not take anything for their pain. I've even heard the excuse 'men don't take tablets'!!!!!. If you're in pain, do something about it! Why stand around basically ruining your body (which pain does, ask me if you want further details, can't be arsed to type them here), your day and ruin the times of those around you (because they know you're in pain, and worry, wonder etc), just so you can act all macho and manly and take the pain? It's bloody ridiculous.

And Skorpz, if you dare mention the quote or anything resembling the tone, theme or text of the quote) - 'But you take tablets for no reason, or for minor pain', I swear I will force-feed you a concoction of Nurofen, paracetamol, night nurse and Benylin, blended in a blender at over 9000 celsius, with a touch of Calpol to season. Smile

Right, back to depression. Depression has a number of side-effects, which these tablets help to minimise. Depression is also a mental condition, not physical, meaning you have to work harder and longer to cure it. Thus, you need to be completely focus and dedicated to your recovery, not bogged down by symptoms. As a result, the drugs help. Common sense, no?

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hurt bad enough and relief is a pill away you'll take it. We're not talking about mainlining heroin here. Your Nurofen's active ingredient is Ibuprofen. It has it's demons but you have to deliberately overdose it for a considerable time over months, not one handful one day.

Jarmen
Forum Legend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grin and bear it, surrounding myself with things and people that make me happy and seperating myself away from the source (if possible and if a possible solution to the problem) would be my way about it.

Ive always found books to be the best escape from reality, nerdy but true, if you can't get far enough away why not escape to another world? works for me.

Dont do drugs kiddies, by drugs I mean pills that will just bake your brain, anti-depressants could be an option, but if anything i'd rather take placebos.
AVARiCE
Lowering the Tone Since 2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean824 wrote:
Drugs all the way. Now, as Av and Skorpz think, apparently I'm addicted to drugs i.e Nurofen. But I ask you all this:

Woah. Operative term in this beast was the bit I've bolded. You actually were over-dependent (if not addicted) to Nurofen. Thus, I'd declare your opinion warped. Now to rip the rest of it =]

bean wrote:
You're in pain, and placed somewhere where you need to concentrate (for this example, lets say a migraine at school). Is there anything wrong with taking a couple of painkillers to allow you to concentrate at a period in time that is important?

This is totally wrong. Whereas you seem to think taking nurofen daily to dull this pain makes sense, I'd argue that if you know the root of the pain you're better off getting it treated than taking meds daily. That's common sense 101.

bean wrote:
Many times we 3 have argued about this, yet they continue to act like hero's and not take anything for their pain. I've even heard the excuse 'men don't take tablets'!!!!!. If you're in pain, do something about it! Why stand around basically ruining your body (which pain does, ask me if you want further details, can't be arsed to type them here), your day and ruin the times of those around you (because they know you're in pain, and worry, wonder etc), just so you can act all macho and manly and take the pain? It's bloody ridiculous.

You've totally missed the point. Depression is a mental anguish, not a physical pain. I take tablets for when I'm in pain, the difference is I'd rather let my body have a crack at it first than shove pills down my throat every time I'm not 100%.

Exactly - when you're in pain do something about it. When you have a broken leg you don't just take pain killers, you actually get the break patched up. Yet this is irrelevant, depression is not a physical pain.

Once again, point missed. No-one here has even suggested sucking it up through a straw, the consensus is that facing the problem head-on through a channel like counselling is better than effectively drugging yourself into a separate state of emotion.

bean wrote:
And Skorpz, if you dare mention the quote or anything resembling the tone, theme or text of the quote) - 'But you take tablets for no reason, or for minor pain', I swear I will force-feed you a concoction of Nurofen, paracetamol, night nurse and Benylin, blended in a blender at over 9000 celsius, with a touch of Calpol to season. Smile

I'll do it Very Happy You took nurofen almost daily for the mildest pain =]

bean wrote:
Right, back to depression. Depression has a number of side-effects, which these tablets help to minimise. Depression is also a mental condition, not physical, meaning you have to work harder and longer to cure it. Thus, you need to be completely focus and dedicated to your recovery, not bogged down by symptoms. As a result, the drugs help. Common sense, no?

Depression is basically a chemical imbalance in the brain, the 'happy' endorphins are vastly outweighed by the 'sad' endorphins (very simplified, but it's the basics of it). From there, things like tidying your room becomes an impossible task because you wouldn't know where to start and you'd effectively mentally defeat yourself before you begin. By using drugs you're skipping this step but you're also failing to learn how to motivate yourself, this is where the addiction feeds in. If you can tidy your room using pills it slowly grows - you don't want to go out tomorrow? Pills will let you do it. You don't feel that happy before bed? Take some pills and you'll wake up happy Smile

Facing a problem head on, learning and overcoming (human instinct) or forcing your body into unnatural environments (modern thinking) - common sense, no?

For the record, no-one here really knows what depression is, the suffering it entails and the way it shapes your life. Depression is to unhappiness what dyslexia is to being unable to read - a blanket fix. They both exist but they're so vastly diagnosed it's incredible. BritishKid, I challenge you, convince me (through words) that you suffer from clinical depression.

~ AVARiCE
Contribution Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVARiCE wrote:

Woah. Operative term in this beast was the bit I've bolded. You actually were over-dependent (if not addicted) to Nurofen. Thus, I'd declare your opinion warped. Now to rip the rest of it =]

You know full well I wasn't. I wasn't well for 50% of the time you saw me at school - through sports-related crap and headaches etc (which you know I got). I wasn't 'over-dependent' on painkillers at all - that's just bullshit and you know it is. I took them when I was in pain. Simple as.

AVARiCE wrote:

This is totally wrong. Whereas you seem to think taking nurofen daily to dull this pain makes sense, I'd argue that if you know the root of the pain you're better off getting it treated than taking meds daily. That's common sense 101.

My point was to take painkillers *while* you find out what the source is, or treat the source. I'm not saying to take them and not to anything to stop it.

AVARiCE wrote:

You've totally missed the point. Depression is a mental anguish, not a physical pain. I take tablets for when I'm in pain, the difference is I'd rather let my body have a crack at it first than shove pills down my throat every time I'm not 100%.

Exactly - when you're in pain do something about it. When you have a broken leg you don't just take pain killers, you actually get the break patched up. Yet this is irrelevant, depression is not a physical pain.

Once again, point missed. No-one here has even suggested sucking it up through a straw, the consensus is that facing the problem head-on through a channel like counselling is better than effectively drugging yourself into a separate state of emotion.

Woah, there. I actually stated near the bottom of my previous post that depression is a mental condition (see 'Depression is a mental condition, not physical...' so therefore you stand corrected.

AVARiCE wrote:

I'll do it Very Happy You took nurofen almost daily for the mildest pain =]

Fair enough, I only mentioned Skorpz so you get off this time!

AVARiCE wrote:

Depression is basically a chemical imbalance in the brain, the 'happy' endorphins are vastly outweighed by the 'sad' endorphins (very simplified, but it's the basics of it). From there, things like tidying your room becomes an impossible task because you wouldn't know where to start and you'd effectively mentally defeat yourself before you begin. By using drugs you're skipping this step but you're also failing to learn how to motivate yourself, this is where the addiction feeds in. If you can tidy your room using pills it slowly grows - you don't want to go out tomorrow? Pills will let you do it. You don't feel that happy before bed? Take some pills and you'll wake up happy Smile

Correct, going into more detail that I could be bothered to. However, I see drugs for depression in a different way. I see your point, but I just see drugs as making it easier for yourself to cure yourself, and then finding ways to motivate yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: