Area 51 Area 51 Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in to check your private messages Log in
Too big to model?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Too big to model? Reply with quote

Our Minty actually forwarded this link in an email so the credit for this post should really go to him!

This is an article about a small image that appeared in an American magazine which apparently shocked the world (god knows why!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/2009/09/paper_monitor_767.shtml

So what do you reckon? Is this a positive step for fashion magazines? Should they show more or fewer women like this? Do you find her attractive?

What gets me is that she's described as 'large' or 'fat' when she's actually healthy-slim! If anyone doesn't sit up straight, even a skinny person, they will have a roll of skin like that. It's normal! So anyone who is similar size to her (I'm also similar size to her) will now be worried, even if they weren't before!

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite passage in that article

Quote:

So why has this caused such a fuss? Because so many women are uptight about their stomachs, and perhaps seeing a less-than-washboard midriff in a glossy magazine might make them a little less harsh on themselves. For the picture in question illustrates a story about body confidence, and the model - Lizzie Miller, at 12 stone considered too big to model even plus-size clothes - certainly exudes bags of the stuff.

Like the article says, it's about body confidence, not about what you look like, this model obviously has it by the boat load.

A good step I think because it's showing that no matter what you look like ( within reason ) different people like seeing different things.

Helly wrote:

So anyone who is similar size to her (I'm also similar size to her) will now be worried, even if they weren't before!

Who would you rather listen to? - your doctor, or a fashion magazine about what is considered healthy?

Here is the Governmental guidelines on height/weight ( click on the graph to enlarge )

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/healthyweight/heightweightchart/

Compared to what the 'fashion industry' thinks is attractive. I mean look at all these pictures below, aren't they all drop dead gorgeous ?

And they say fat is ugly

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/8996/skeleton1.png

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9789/skeleton2.png

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3696/skeleton3.png

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3474/skeleton4.png

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7434/skeleton5.png

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4711/skeleton6.png

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5884/skeleton7.png

area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Minty, those pictures were just gross. I was eating at the time and you've put me off. Those women could be attractive, if they had a little something extra to hold onto!

My BMI is 21. So I'm about right. I think what's upsetting me is that I used to be slimmer and it's gonna take a while to get used to it.

I still need to get a bit more tone (which I know will weigh more but it is more healthy) and better fitness.

Krymmsun
Regular Contributer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think she's too big. It's not a good idea to promote not being healthy. Excess body fat, when it gets to the point where it's even visible, is not healthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krymmsun wrote:

Yeah, I think she's too big. It's not a good idea to promote not being healthy. Excess body fat, when it gets to the point where it's even visible, is not healthy.

It's not a good idea to promote 'unhealthiness' I agree with you there. So called 'airbrushed' pictures give people the look that is impossible to attain in real life.

The picture in the opening post, is someone who is perhaps much more 'normal' looking and so any influence derived from the picture isn't going to give people 'strange aims'.

Running on the Eatwell guidelines I linked, 12 stone is within the 'OK' limit of someone who's 5ft 10in tall.

Models do tend to be tall to give a bigger 'area' to show whatever it is they are modelling off.

The pictures I then posted ( which took me a few goes to upload because I couldnt really look at them, even now I have to scroll right past them without looking at them) are not healthy either.

Is it not better to produce a varied 'cross section' of various bodies sizes and weights, that are within the 'ok' range to show impressionable teenagers that it doesnt matter what you look like, so long as you're healthy and not too far gone into the 'overweight' category there is no need to go on a diet ?
aalpha
Nicest Guy In The Universe/Site Admin

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think she was too big to be a model but yeah, excess flab is not good. Most people think you have to be obese to be at risk for diabetes.

When I was diagnosed in 2000 my BMI which didn't exist then, but if it had would have been in the acceptable range. Yet my Doctor said if I could loose 10-15 pounds I could put off insulin for a good 20 years.

I did loose the weight; 25 pounds worth - you old timers remember I tried challenging the forum to set and meet exercise goals. pfft!!! an exercise in futility that was!!

These pix are sickening. We call it warmed over death. These girls look like walking road kill. Old, walking road kill. puke_r puke_r

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:

I didn't think she was too big to be a model but yeah, excess flab is not good. Most people think you have to be obese to be at risk for diabetes.

I didn't say you had to be obese to be at risk from diabetes, just that what people think is overweight and what is may be 2 different things.

aalpha wrote:

When I was diagnosed in 2000 my BMI which didn't exist then, but if it had would have been in the acceptable range. Yet my Doctor said if I could loose 10-15 pounds I could put off insulin for a good 20 years.

*Insert Bean's rant about BMI being a poor measure here*
aalpha

Location: Where ever you need me I'll be there. Whatever you need done I'll do it. Made in the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
aalpha wrote:

I didn't say you had to be obese to be at risk from diabetes, just that what people think is overweight and what is may be 2 different things.

I didn't mean to suggest you did. Confused My point was that it only takes 10 or 15 pounds over your ideal weight to put you at risk - or - tells the story about how soon you go on insulin. For a lot of non-model people 10-15 pounds can be rather unnoticeable.

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-15 lbs ???

Surely different people are more at risk than others from different 'diseases' ?

Lets say 'Aunt Elsie' has smoked all her life and she's 80 years old, never once got lung cancer.

'Rebekah' gets Leukaemia even though she leads a rather healthy lifestyle.

Not saying you're wrong just 10-15lbs sounds an incredibly small margin of error Shocked

never thought i'd be that tight between 'ok' and diabetes, or is it 'increased risk' ?

5ft 7in and 9 stone. I'm on the dotted line of OK... Phew! - I find it really hard to put weight on, and i'm worried of being underweight, which as we've seen is just as bad.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:

But it's not really fat - as she's not sat up straight, it's really just skin.

aalpha wrote:
These pix are sickening. We call it warmed over death. These girls look like walking road kill. Old, walking road kill. puke_r puke_r

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that!

Quote:

The image isn't really promoting anything about health. What the image is promoting is confidence - being happy, being natural, being confortable in one's own skin. I really admire her for that - I wouldn't want to appear in a mgazine naked! One can't say that most other fashion shots.

aalpha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
10-15 lbs ???

Surely different people are more at risk than others from different 'diseases' ?

Lets say 'Aunt Elsie' has smoked all her life and she's 80 years old, never once got lung cancer.

'Rebekah' gets Leukaemia even though she leads a rather healthy lifestyle.

Not saying you're wrong just 10-15lbs sounds an incredibly small margin of error Shocked

never thought i'd be that tight between 'ok' and diabetes, or is it 'increased risk' ?

I believe I said increased risk. And yes people with diabetes in their family are at much greater risk than those who don't. But whatever your risk factor is, a very few pounds of excess weight (fat not muscle) increases your risk for diabetes

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51newmexico wrote:

But it's not really fat - as she's not sat up straight, it's really just skin.

Just done an experiment where i've sat down, I get this as well.

Helly wrote:

The image isn't really promoting anything about health. What the image is promoting is confidence - being happy, being natural, being confortable in one's own skin. I really admire her for that - I wouldn't want to appear in a mgazine naked! One can't say that most other fashion shots.

This.

aalpha wrote:

But whatever your risk factor is, a very few pounds of excess weight (fat not muscle) increases your risk for diabetes

Hmmm...

Just been thinking about the women I work with.

Some are tall and thin.

Some are short and thin.

Some are 'average' height, and not thin but not fat either.

Some are quite rounded.

These people are 'endomorphs'.

Here's the Britannica entry ( notice i'm using the Britannica as opposed to Wiki, because, you know... someone might of edited it and that means that wiki is therefore wrong ).

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/187001/endomorph

Here's another quick summary of the other body types if need be

http://health.learninginfo.org/body-types.htm

So anyone the world over, with an 'endomorph' body type then better stock up insulin?

I'm sure through out their lives ( the women at work ) if their weight was an issue their family doctor would of seen to it and we'd all be walking around with a 28 inch waist.
area51newmexico
Goddess
Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah I think I'm an endomorph. Bugger. Dead ringer for me.

aalpha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took me Mum to the State Fair today. Dad had to wu- wor *cough* rrrmmm work so I got the assignment.

Along the way in the NC Agricultural exhibit we found the peanut farmer's 2¢ worth about the nutritional greatness of peanuts. Which by the way is all true, they are good for you.

One pamphlet stood out as one I hadn't seen before. "Peanuts and Diabetes. Here's the inside front cover. Click the pic ONLY after you read every word.

Minty. . . put your skin back on. C'mon, you can stick to peanuts you don't have to go with peanut butter on your toast. Although it is quite good you should at least try it .

Lamiaceae
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalpha wrote:

I took me Mum to the State Fair today. Dad had to wu- wor *cough* rrrmmm work so I got the assignment.

Dad had work... so you took your mum out...
By my calculations this would mean that they were both about 80. Now, I don't think that's true.
This either means this is a lie, or you aren't 60.

I'm going to have to sit down for a minute.

aalpha wrote:

Along the way in the NC Agricultural exhibit we found the peanut farmer's 2¢ worth about the nutritional greatness of peanuts. Which by the way is all true, they are good for you.

Talk to a Dairy farmer, milk is good for you as well.

We've had a lot of adverts in the past trying to promote the health benefits of milk with slogan's such as 'Are you made of the white stuff?'

Or it was the slogan of a biology video we had to watch in school once...

Anyway, moving on

aalpha wrote:

One pamphlet stood out as one I hadn't seen before. "Peanuts and Diabetes. Here's the inside front cover.

You're mentioning peanuts an awful lot... ...If this is a lead up to anything 'butter' related.

aalpha wrote:

Click the pic ONLY after you read every word.

I hate you.

aalpha wrote:

Minty. . . put your skin back on. C'mon, you can stick to peanuts you don't have to go with peanut butter on your toast. Although it is quite good you should at least try it .

But I don't like any type of nut, I can eat them fine ( as in I don't have a nut allergy ) but I don't like their flavour. With peanut butter, it's the smell I can smell the stuff a mile off and it instantly ties my stomach in knots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Area 51 Forum Index -> Customs & Culture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: